Home Precious Metals

Fake Libertads Exist?

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been noticing more frequent offerings of "key date" Mexican Libertads on ebay...1997-1998-1999. Seems odd, so I was wondering if anyone has experienced fakes of these years.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to my knowledge.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I be buying Libertad's? I LOVE the design but I know little about the nuances of dates, proofs etc...........Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty pretty coin. With the Latin population here in SoCal, these move out much quicker than most all other silver bullion. Stores can't keep them around.

I think that one problem with them is that Mexican coinage over the decades has such a varying range of % silver content that most mainstream accumulators will probably never accept them.
    Have a nice day
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty pretty coin. With the Latin population here in SoCal, these move out much quicker than most all other silver bullion. Stores can't keep them around.

I think that one problem with them is that Mexican coinage over the decades has such a varying range of % silver content that most mainstream accumulators will probably never accept them. >>

I thought the Libertads were all 1 oz of 999 silver like the ASE's and the Maple Leafs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    No Libertad fakes as far as i know and according to one of the dealers i have been buying from. Yes they do come in BU and Proof versions and Fractional proofs as well. They even come in 5.oz version. Really beautiful Angel obverse design. image

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    I need a strategy boys. Come on alreadyimage

Proofs, bu, rolls, bags, by date??????

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>I need a strategy boys. Come on alreadyimage

Proofs, bu, rolls, bags, by date??????

MJ >>

MJ...the proofs have ultra low mintages compared to other world produced bullion coins and are priced accordingly.

5 oz proof

imageimage

2 oz proof

imageimage

1 oz proof and unc.

imageimage

btw I like the unc. by the roll of 20. Proofs are sold individually by the Mint or distributors
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Great coins, i have a couple of rolls of uncirculated. Never know when you might need to head for the border! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fan. Never heard of fakes so far.

I have a canadian roll of random dates, and a proof fractional box set. Prefer them honesty over spotted maples and ase's I have.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the reassurances about fakes (or lack thereof).

As for strategy, to each his/her own. Here's mine:

I had an opportunity at a coin show a while ago to pick up a set of Libertads at a tiny premium over melt. No brainer, since I knew some coins carried a premium. Had another chance recently to do the same, another no brainer. In between, I buy them when I can when they are offered at reasonable (bullion) prices. I've put together three complete sets (1982-2012) and keep them in Dansco albums. I have a "working set" that I fill with coins I pick up as bullion. I may never fill the 97-98-99 slots at bullion prices, but I am ever watchful. I have filled semi-key dates at bullion prices (see especially 1988), so that's a bonus. The two local stores for bullion that I use are aware that I like Libertads and tend to hold them for me until I can stop in. One even calls me when they get some in. I figure a stack of Libertads, ASEs, and Maple Leaf coins is a good idea so that if needed, I could barter with or buy from any North American image

I tend not to have to pay the same premium for these as I do for the ASEs, so adding a few to the stash every now and then is affordable. If I ever choose to sell, I know premiums can be had on ebay for just about any Libertad date.

I collect none of the Proof coins, as I see those as too specialized and not readily converted for cash or other PMs locally anywhere near the premiums they deserve. I don't like bags solely because bags are too heavy and unwieldy. I love to find original/mint rolls near melt and buy those whenever offered. I put together rolls all the time when I accumulate an extra twenty that I don't need for my working album set. I hope this helps, MJ
  • roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    really interesting thread as i really enjoy the libertads in gold and in silver , great feedback and i like the ideas of collecting these coins!
    Thanks all. Barndog, good luck on Tuesday!!!!

I think I will stack bu's and put together one proof set as they are so dayum good looking.

MJ
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure there are fake onza's from the 78-82 type. Are those libertads or are only the winged statue kind called libertads?

<< <i>I'm pretty sure there are fake onza's from the 78-82 type. Are those libertads or are only the winged statue kind called libertads? >>

Only the "winged liberty" statue are called Libertads...
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have filled semi-key dates at bullion prices (see especially 1988), so that's a bonus. >>

Whats up with the 88?, BU or Proof?, I know the proof 88 is scarce and I heard or read somewhere
    that one year some Japanese Corporation bought almost the entire BU mintage of Libertads in 87 or
    88 from Mexico. Is this true and has anyone else ever heard or read that?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby

<< <i>

<< <i>I have filled semi-key dates at bullion prices (see especially 1988), so that's a bonus. >>

Whats up with the 88?, BU or Proof?, I know the proof 88 is scarce and I heard or read somewhere
    that one year some Japanese Corporation bought almost the entire BU mintage of Libertads in 87 or
    88 from Mexico. Is this true and has anyone else ever heard or read that?

Steve >>

all I know is that when I find the BU 1988s at or near bullion prices, I can easily flip them on ebay for a healthy profit even after considering ebay fees.
    Link to the mintages of proof & unc up to 2010...

1988 was actually a relatively high mintage year, but 1998 was not.

Libertad Mintage
  • I have not heard of any Fake Libertads as of yet.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Never heard of any fakes. Libertads are my favorite silver coin to stack. Very nice looking coin, roughly the same premium as ASEs. Mintages are tiny fractions of that of ASEs, and growing demand as more people from Latin America come into money. Kind of the same line of thinking of people wanting to stack Pandas a few years ago. I scoop up Libs any chance I get.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • I've ran into counterfeit 72% and 90% pesos, but not Libertads.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ask and ye shall receive:

silver PLATED Libertad? Ebay >>

It looks very convincing although he may have used a real coin for his pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>

<< <i>ask and ye shall receive:

silver PLATED Libertad? Ebay >>

It looks very convincing although he may have used a real coin for his pics. >>

Those plated coins are "compliments" of our buddies in Hong Kong ... Aliexpress

Reported as counterfeit...not sure if it's going to do any good...overseas seller.