Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1984 Donruss Don Mattingly BGS 10 Pristine - POP 1 - SOLD

The only one out of thousands graded. Decided to let it go because I purchased another really (really) expensive card.

For the ultimate Mattingly collector.

SOLD

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance the card will go for that price? I am no expert on the Mattingly market, but that seems like a lot for a mass produced card of a player not even in the HOF. A PSA 10 sells for less than $500. What makes a BGS 10 special?
  • Options
    I agree....seems to be a lot for a card of a player not in the HOF...the PSA 10 of this card does not even go for the much...I would lower the price to sell it on here...for that much...I could buy a 52 Topps Mantle card for almost that.
    Looking For:
    PSA 9 Albert Pujols Rookie Cards
    Successful trans. with epatmythes, PFB, johnckhall, kwtoz, mattinglymint23, Foo3112, ssdawg77,
    californiacards3, orioles93, Bkritz
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    BGS 10 Pristine cards often bring a substantial premium over PSA 10s, even when there are 5-10 Pristine copies in circulation. They will sell for a multiple over PSA 10 prices. I paid about a 7x premium for a BGS 10 Tony Gwynn rookie at no minimum bid auction (and two others bid around 7x) relative to the PSA 10 market price, and the population on the Gwynn BGS 10 card is 4.

The HOF/not HOF doesn't really matter. Just the market price for the card, which is one of the highest of all post-1980 base set cards. While there have been almost 100 PSA Gem Mint 10 Mattingly cards graded and almost 75 Becket Gem Mint 9.5 Mattingly cards graded, this is the first and only to receive a BGS 10 Pristine grading.

What one sees or doesn't in the BGS 10 designation is all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. People regularly pay $1000+ for low population PSA 10 cards that are often commons. This is probably one of the top-5 cards from the 1980s (1980 Topps Henderson, 1982 Topps Ripken Traded and 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn being three others I can think of).

I understand if you don't see a difference between a 9.5 and a 10, or how a modern card could command such a high price. To each his/her own.
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Thats an amazing card. BGS 10s are hard with shiny moderns, let alone almost a 28 year old with tough centering and very popular with collectors. I bet you get your asking price or very close to it, although you may need to put it out there for auction for the right person/people to see it.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with it. I need to expand my horizons. You are certainly correct about market share determining the price.
  • Options

<< <i>BGS 10 Pristine cards often bring a substantial premium over PSA 10s, even when there are 5-10 Pristine copies in circulation. They will sell for a multiple over PSA 10 prices. I paid about a 7x premium for a BGS 10 Tony Gwynn rookie at no minimum bid auction (and two others bid around 7x) relative to the PSA 10 market price, and the population on the Gwynn BGS 10 card is 4.

The HOF/not HOF doesn't really matter. Just the market price for the card, which is one of the highest of all post-1980 base set cards. While there have been almost 100 PSA Gem Mint 10 Mattingly cards graded and almost 75 Becket Gem Mint 9.5 Mattingly cards graded, this is the first and only to receive a BGS 10 Pristine grading.

What one sees or doesn't in the BGS 10 designation is all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. People regularly pay $1000+ for low population PSA 10 cards that are often commons. This is probably one of the top-5 cards from the 1980s (1980 Topps Henderson, 1982 Topps Ripken Traded and 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn being three others I can think of).

I understand if you don't see a difference between a 9.5 and a 10, or how a modern card could command such a high price. To each his/her own. >>

Well said.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    WOW, that's a big card!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ..and lets not poop in people's sales thread please
    mmmmmmmmmmmk?
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>..and lets not poop in people's sales thread please
    mmmmmmmmmmmk? >>

+1

Great Card

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    That's a beauty! Went chasing one recently to no avail.
    Worth every penny if you ask me. Good luck with the sale, I'd be in the hunt if it weren't for some recent pick ups and life events.

Nice to see Donnie getting his due in the market image
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    No pooping on thread, but as a '84 donruss expert, I'd be better off sending prime '84 Mattinglys to BGS instead of PSA for that kind of money difference. I will also refrain from technical commentary.
  • Options
    And all just for a label with someones opinion on it. Certainly is a crazy world out there.

Best of luck
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    So Esquire, what is the card you bought? You can't say that and not tell us, lol!

Great card, and I am obviously a huge fan of Donny and that particuar card. Just couldn't spend that huge multiple over a GEM MT one myself.
  • Options
    There were a couple interesting BGS 10 sales that recently occurred. One was a population 5 1982 Donruss Cal Ripken. It sold for $2400+. The other was a population 2 1987 Leaf Greg Maddux. It sold for $2600+. That's about a 12x multiplier on the Ripken and a 15x multiplier on the Maddux relative to a PSA 10. The price on this card is "only" a 7x multiplier, and is a population 1.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree....seems to be a lot for a card of a player not in the HOF...the PSA 10 of this card does not even go for the much...I would lower the price to sell it on here...for that much...I could buy a 52 Topps Mantle card for almost that. >>

OK- Using your logic...why don't you send me all your BGS 10's and I'll replace them with PSA 10's and send back to you. Sounds as if you'd be really happy with that.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Card has been sold.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job!
    Nice sale