Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best treasure found?

I know that we have a metal detecting forum but I figured I'd get faster and more responses here.

For those who have done metal detecting, what is your best COIN find ever?

As an aside, how is this for an entry-level set-up:

Garrett ACE 250 + Pro-Pointer

Happy Hunting!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that we have a metal detecting forum but I figured I'd get faster and more responses here. >>

Most of those responses will be telling you to use the MD forum.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank goodness I'm not one of the "most responses".....lol

Nothing good here, but one diamond ring. Las Vegas does not seem to have old money
    laying around in the ground that I can find. Diamond was a couple of points is all, but
    the gold was 14k.

Your setup is a lot nicer than my 12 year old Whites VSAT.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I know that we have a metal detecting forum but I figured I'd get faster and more responses here. >>

Most of those responses will be telling you to use the MD forum. >>

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm looking for the responses which don't. image
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I hunted regularly for over 25 years. My best coin finds were: 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, and 1914-D pennies, 1913-D and 1914-D nickels, 1896-O, 1900-O, 1904-S, and 1913-S dimes, 1897-O, 1897-S, 1904-O,
    1905-O, and 1913 quarters, and four Morgan dollars- none of which were better dates.

Doug
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe it was almost 15 years ago. It seems like yesterday...

Detecting in a park in Urbana, Illinois. This park had been hunted to death, but was not very trashy and had produced some great stuff for me already. Quiet, too, and that's a plus when you just want to hunt and not be followed or bothered. The houses are all turn of the century, but the area itself is very close to where Abraham Lincoln practiced law.

Got a deep repeatable signal at 6" on my Fisher CZ-6a. Carefully dug the plug and recovered the signal. I was pretty sure before I found the target that it was a silver dime, and was almost cavalier about it. Boy did my jaw drop when out of the mud ball appeared a seated dime--up until that time one of only two that I'd found.

Giddy with the find and the rush, I placed the uncleaned coin in my pouch and made to replace the plug, when I remembered to re-check the hole. A very, very faint signal hit my phones.

Taking a deep breath, I carefully cut a wider plug and began to excavate. Rechecking the hole I found nothing--no sound, no signal. I swept the excavated soil and heard a solid bell. Sifting through the soil I uncovered another silver rim...belonging to another seated dime!

Hands shaking, knees weak, I started to push the soil back into the hole. Then I stopped and re-checked the soil pile. Nothing in the pile, but another faint signal in the hole now. Once again into the breech. Wishing I had an archeologist's brush instead of a Lesche, I very, very carefully began to excavate even deeper, even wider, checking hole and pile frequently. Another signal, another rim, another seated dime.

Yes, I probably spent an hour afterwards checking and rechecking the hole, the soil, and the area 10' 'round like a speed freak with OCD. Not another whisp of aluminum foil did I leave in the ground. And I continued to check that area every time I hunted the park for years after. I never found another seated dime there, but I didn't really need to image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much in the way of coins. The most valuable was a 1/2 Swiss Franc I saw on a run in the neighborhood (have no idea how it got there). I have found a $100 bill and two $20s in parking lots on the way to my car over the years. Also found a 10 real note in Brasilia, in front of the Presidential Palace (at the time worth between $4 and $5).
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    My most valuable metal detectoring find was an 1876 CC Dime in VF. It is really neat to pull old silver out of the ground for free. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    dug/ found this:
    sold it for $300 and bought a Fugio cent
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Great stories!

Love the Seated Dime find!
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stories!! I LOVE history and find myself imagining how/when/why these items came to be placed where they were. The lost bracelet returned to its rightful owner is AMAZING! Just imagine how that lady felt to have an item her father (surely long lost) had given to her, returned to her so she could connect with him again. Very, very cool. The Seated dimes might have been a stash someone buried and never was able to recover. Why? To me, a large part of why I collect and deal in collectibles is the human connection with history they provide. Great stuff folks, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Best thing I've found was a Little Orphan Annie decoder medallion. Not worth a lot, but sold it for about 40 bucks. The most interesting find was a civil war bullet that had been fired. What's interesting is that I found it in Utah. After research I found that the original homesteader of the property was a part of the Mormon Battalion, (a cilvil war regiment) and he would likely have shot this same type of bullet. It stands to reason that HIS gun fired the bullet. Probably target practice into a soft object since the item was found near a very old tree and the bullet was not deformed...but you can clearly see the rifling on the side of the body. Not valuable intrinsically, but it is interesting historically.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I've never found a silver coin. It's driving me crazy!!!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    One day you'll find one! For my part, all I've ever really covered thoroughly was my parent's house. Found 23 common wheaties, about the same in memorials, and two Mercs -- both 44-P's -- one in the backyard, one in the front! image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing particularly valuable coin wise... but here are a few

1780 1 Real

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file