Home Metal Detecting
Options

Garrett ACE 250 + Pro-Pointer

Hello everyone...

I've never done any metal detecting, but have just recently gotten the urge to try. How is this for an entry-level set-up:

Garrett ACE 250 + Pro-Pointer

Comments? Does anyone have experience with this set-up? Any other recommendations for entry-level treasure hunting? Are there better coin hunters in this price range?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good detector-- a workhorse of the detecting world. Some folks have pricy detectors then a Ace250 for a backup/travel detector. The Ace350 is out now as well. I have one and have been very happy with it.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick response!

How good is it at detecting coins?

Is it better at one metal than another? (e.g. silver vs. copper, gold vs. silver, etc.)
  • Options
    The 250 is a good entry level machine. It will have no trouble finding coins. The Garrett Pro pointer is the best pinpointer on the market hands down. A true workhorse that takes a beating and comes back for more!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the information... much appreciated.

From what I've read, a pinpointing coil would be something to add... to the basic unit and the Pro-pointer device.

Anything else to add? Where to buy? Thanks!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the information... much appreciated.

From what I've read, a pinpointing coil would be something to add... to the basic unit and the Pro-pointer device.

Anything else to add? Where to buy? Thanks! >>

Doesn't the Ace 250 offer pinpointing? Either way, the propointer is a must. When my pinpointer isn't working properly, it puts a big damper on the hunt. What do you have for a digging tool? You'll need a trash baggy thing for your bottle caps, etc. You'll need a cloth to put the dirt on when you're at parks. Some people use screwdrivers, so you might be able to hone that skill to recover your finds.

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    You need a Lesche digger.
  • Options

<< <i>You need a Lesche digger. >>

Which model?
  • Options

<< <i>That's a good detector-- a workhorse of the detecting world. Some folks have pricy detectors then a Ace250 for a backup/travel detector. The Ace350 is out now as well. I have one and have been very happy with it. >>

What are the differences between the 250 and the 350?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 250 and the ProPointer make a superb entry level pair....and will serve you well for a couple of years - some people stick with them all the time. Yep, a Lesche digging tool, trash bag and for parks, a dirt holder (cloth, frisbee etc). Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ace 350 has a bigger coil, but that's not always an advantage, especially if you're in a trashy area. For me, I really like the Aces for it's ease of break down for suitcase travel.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, a Lesche digging tool, trash bag and for parks, a dirt holder (cloth, frisbee etc). >>

Thanks! Is there a particular Lesche digging tool to buy? If so, can someone provide a specific link to this tool?

<< <i>The Ace 350 has a bigger coil, but that's not always an advantage, especially if you're in a trashy area. >>

Would the Garrett 4.5" Ace Sniper coil be something to add to the kit? Thanks!
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Lesche now makes tools under the Predator name. I like the model 85.
    Predator tools