Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Rarest Sports Cards Not Test Issue, Errors, Variations, Inserts?

I am interested in learning more about the world's rarest Textmajor/national issueText post-1900 sports cards. That is, cards appearing in a major issue base set that are not errors, inserts or variations (including card reverse variations).

People often note there are hundreds of cards more rare than the T206 Wagner. That is true, but pretty much all that I have seen are from smaller/regional sets or test sets, or are errors/variations. Finally, some are international releases (e.g., Topps Venezuela). I am talking about the cards that no one can find to finish their base sets.

Knocking one-offs from a list, the population seems to get pretty small, particularly post-war (there can probably be a lot of discussion about what constitutes a "major issue" - I am thinking Goudey, Leaf, Fleer, Topps, Bowman).

If you can help add to the list (photos would be great!), I'd appreciate it.

Here are four I can think of, in order of scarcity. Each of these cards has an interesting back-story, which I expect will be the case for any card making the list:

1. 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano #50. Fewer than 10 known.

2. T206 Honus Wagner. Estimated at 50-75 examples, with about 40 graded.

3. 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie #106. Estimated at 100-150 examples, with 79 graded by PSA.

4. 2006 Topps Alex Gordon #297. About 200 graded.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    1933 George C. Miller R300 Ivy Andrews is probably one of the most difficult that I can think of. It was the short print of the 1933 George C. Miller set. If you collected the entire set you sent them all in for a glove or a ticket to a game and they cut the bottoms of the cards off or put a diamond punch in them. To find one still complete is next to impossible. I don't even think they count it for 100% set completion.

Edit to add that might not fit your definition because it is a different kind of set. Cool topic

The Ted Signs card is super tough in the Ted Williams set too.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this card fits your own definition since it is an error card....but it's your thread

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1932 (or 1933, depending on whether you want to use the traditional or accurate designation) U.S. Caramel Freddie Lindstrom. Similar to the Andrews, it was the shortprint on a redemption set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    How about the Stankey, Roberts and Konstanty cards from the Topps 1951 Current All Star set

Al
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For hockey, I'd say some of the most famous rare cards are 1955 Quaker Oats #1 Harry Lumley, #37 Rocket Richard, and #33 King Clancy. I've only seen one scan of these cards in all my years collecting, and have never seen any of these cards sell publicly. They were the chase cards for the 79 card set, and could be redeemed for a bike if all the cards were collected.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about the Stankey, Roberts and Konstanty cards from the Topps 1951 Current All Star set >>

This would be my pick
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    what about T206 Ty Cobb back?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    U.S. Caramel Lindstrom is also a good choice. I think two or three are known, and at least two of them are owned by the Fritsch estate.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think this card fits your own definition since it is an error card....but it's your thread

image >>

That is exactly the card I was thinking after I read the OP. The full version certainly fits, as it is numbered into the regular set and was released in packs. It's not an error. It's not a variation or a true mistake (the card was meant for distribution as part of the main set). Simply put, it's one the rarest, if not THE rarest, base Topps cards in existence.
    The Gordon is bountiful next to the three 1951 Topps Current All Stars listed above. Also, any card in the issued Topps 1955 Hocus Focus baseball subset set, and probably the 1956 set as well have it beat.

The Hocus Focus sets were not the mainstream Topps sets for those years, so may not fit the OPs parameters, but they were sets issues at retail. In 1951 Topps issued 5 sets, Red and Blue backs, Current and Connie Mack All Stras and Team cards) apparently testing the market with different products in gearing up to challenge Bowman in subsequent years. The 3 scarce Current All Stars were apparently pulled from production, probably due to one of the many contractual player disputes with Bowman, or the player themselves.

Al
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson brings a lot of money in any grade.

The 1972 Bazooka hockey cards are also insanely rare.
  • Morning,

The Rarest of the Rarest in Non Sports is the 1930 Shutter-Johnson "I'm Going To Be" # 4 Strongman. This card was a Redemption and when sent in for whatever was to be redeemed it was hole punched so it couldn't be sent in again. The only verified example in existence is the one PSA Authentic example with holes punched in it.

The rumor is there are 3 other examples in existence, but I have never seen another example and every single picture of this card in any Price Guide, Article, Trade publication, Auction House ect. for the last 30 years is of the one PSA example with the holes punched in the exact same spot. So who knows if they actually exist, apperently the company disposed of all of the redeemed cards.

If an example ever surfaced without holes (Non Redeemed) and gradeable I would expect it to be over a Million easy !!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
    Neil-- any scans of it available ?

Al
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

I bought this raw and sold it - it is the only one PSA have ever graded. Even in the smaller circle of golf card collectors, I know of only one other collector who has seen another one, (the one he owns) and he has been at this a lot longer than me.

It is a Portuguese Cigar Issue card of Walter Hagen. Obscure..yes, cool looking yes, rare....yes...valuable....yes.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of cards that are much rarer than Wagner, Graziano, etc, but they fall under the category of being so rare nobody wants them.
    A single example of Allegheny's exist, only one know copy of Tango Eggs Cobb, Plank and Oakes are known, and there are 27 others that have yet to be discovered but almost certainly existed at one point. A single example is all that exist of each of many obscure type sets.

From just post war sets, a list would have to include:

Cards with 2-10 examples known
    '51 Current All Stars Roberts, Stanky and Konstanty
    '48 Leaf Graziano
    '63 Pepsi Bateman (I believe there is only 2 known with tab)
    '56 and '58 Topps unopened nickel packs (2-4 legit examples of each)
    (4) different '53 Bowman unissued color cards, probably all unique

Slightly more common, but certainly tough, 3-12 examples each
    '60 Fleer Martin/Tinker, Martin/Grove, Martin/Collins (uncancelled even more so, factory cut even more than uncancelled)
    Any '58 Hires test with tab

Cards that aren't really scarce but are tough at times to find
    '58 Herrer
    '57 Bakep
    Any '49 Leaf short print
    '59 Fleer #68
    '54 Bowman #66

From all the research I've done there are 2-3 '32 Caramel Lindstroms, at last 2 of which in Larry Fritsch's collection.
    (2) '33 George C Miller Ivy Andrews uncancelled, neither of which has come up for public sale in the last 15-20 years, at the least.
    3-5 T206 Doyle NY
    Lots of Old Judges are unique, as well as Just So's, Kbats and others.

If you get into test issues like '55 Stamps, '70 Cloth, '61 Dice Game, etc you're in the realm of real rarity.

This is by no means exhaustive, but rather meant to illustrate that the T206 Wagner is scarce, but not anywhere near the scarcest card in the hobby. It's been well marketed as a rarity since at least '71, with national advertising. I doubt the Topps Alex Gordon would even make the top 1000 scarcest.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Great insights guys. The 1932 U.S. Caramel Lindstrom sold at auction for $80K, and the 1951 Topps All Stars Stanky and Konstandy sold for $38K and $45K. As noted, there are no PSA graded examples of 1955 Quaker Oaks Hockey Lumley, Richard or Clancy. For the other cards, the PSA population is just 1. Wow.

While maybe only the U.S. Caramel fits the definition of a base set nationally distributed, it's great to learn about all these cards. Thanks for taking the time!

• << <i>Neil-- any scans of it available ? >>

Morning,

I don't have one right now, it is a common picture though, its been used in Benjamin, Wrapper, and lots of other places over the years. It has also been contierfited, but using the only known Real example as a template, so the Two Punch holes are in the exact same spot as well as the Word "Void" stamped on it

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
    If the Lindstrom sale was the one I'm thinking of, it wasn't a real sale. The card didn't actually change hands, just had a recorded sale in order to establish a "value". This isn't unheard of and has happened with a few Wagners and other cards.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I believe, I could be wrong, that I once heard that the number of Alex Gordon errors on the market is not indicative of how many exist. I was told Olbermann bought up everyone he could get his hands on and stashed them away.
    The first post states that 200 Gordons have already been graded. They are not scarce or rare whether hoarded or not

Al

<< <i>The first post states that 200 Gordons have already been graded. They are not scarce or rare whether hoarded or not >>

In relation to the Topps base set they certainly are. Name one other pack-issued (1952-2012) , non-error/variation Topps base card that is rarer.
  • Not yet mentioned is the 1923 Maple Crispette Casey Stengel card.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not yet mentioned is the 1923 Maple Crispette Casey Stengel card. >>

I agree with Levi.

<< <i>

<< <i>The first post states that 200 Gordons have already been graded. They are not scarce or rare whether hoarded or not >>

In relation to the Topps base set they certainly are. Name one other pack-issued (1952-2012) , non-error/variation Topps base card that is rarer. >>

I have a Toops set run from 1948 and 1951 to 2012. That includes the "base" sets and any insert or issued test sets. Still working on some unissued test sets. Topps sets begin in at least 1951 for me and filling out the Team sest, and the Current and Connie Mack All stars were all tougher that the Gordon for me( mine is posted above) I alos have always viewed the Gordon as an error card...not supposed to be issued and pulled...similar to the 3 unissued Current All Stars...or the 58 check listed but unissued Ed Bouchee card.

If base card means just the regular Topps sets, the Gordon is tougher than most, but as far as "pack issued" being the criteria, try these;

imageimage

Al
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Shouldn't the '32 Caramel McKinley be considered the rarest of the rare?

<< <i>

<< <i>

In relation to the Topps base set they certainly are. Name one other pack-issued (1952-2012) , non-error/variation Topps base card that is rarer. >>

I have a Toops set run from 1948 and 1951 to 2012. That includes the "base" sets and any insert or issued test sets. Still working on some unissued test sets. Topps sets begin in at least 1951 for me and filling out the Team sest, and the Current and Connie Mack All stars were all tougher that the Gordon for me( mine is posted above) I alos have always viewed the Gordon as an error card...not supposed to be issued and pulled...similar to the 3 unissued Current All Stars...or the 58 check listed but unissued Ed Bouchee card.

If base card means just the regular Topps sets, the Gordon is tougher than most, but as far as "pack issued" being the criteria, try these;

imageimage >>

I certainly appreciate the scarcity of these great cards, but I do not consider them to be regular issue base Topps cards. They are niche products like team checklists, a game and pop-up cards.

<< <i>Shouldn't the '32 Caramel McKinley be considered the rarest of the rare? >>

they come up a lot more often than the 3 '51 Connie Mack AS, probably about as often as the Leaf Graziano. Tough, but certainly not impossible.
    Same with the Mutoscope "My Divers License" and a few other NS.

<< <i> I certainly appreciate the scarcity of these great cards, but I do not consider them to be regular issue base Topps cards. They are niche products like team checklists, a game, pop-out cards and team photos. >>

Most of those are regular issue base cards. You need to read up a bit. Perhaps a bit less theory and a bit more facts.

Base card ? image

Al

• << <i>

<< <i>Shouldn't the '32 Caramel McKinley be considered the rarest of the rare? >>

they come up a lot more often than the 3 '51 Connie Mack AS, probably about as often as the Leaf Graziano. Tough, but certainly not impossible.
    Same with the Mutoscope "My Divers License" and a few other NS. >>

speaking of the Mutoscope 'My Diver's License', does anyone have a scan? I have never even seen a scan of that one...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
    Base card?

<< <i>

<< <i>

Same with the Mutoscope "My Divers License" and a few other NS. >>

speaking of the Mutoscope 'My Diver's License', does anyone have a scan? I have never even seen a scan of that one... >>

<< <i>Base card ? image

image >>

You know that wasn't released in 1984 Topps packs, so why act like it was.

<< <i>

<< <i> I certainly appreciate the scarcity of these great cards, but I do not consider them to be regular issue base Topps cards. They are niche products like team checklists, a game, pop-out cards and team photos. >>

Most of those are regular issue base cards. You need to read up a bit. Perhaps a bit less theory and a bit more facts. >>

I said "REGULAR ISSUE Topps base cards". Do you need me to explain the differences to you? Anything Topps produced before their REGULAR ISSUE 1952 Topps set isn't a REGULAR ISSUE Topps release.
    Apparently some people believe that anything Topps has ever released in a pack is a "regular issue Topps card".
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    32 Caramel Presidents are not sports cards.

I thought the same earlier.

Good for you.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Base card ? image

image >>

Had to look this one up. Good stuff. Made for a move.

Love the McKinley card. Had not seen this before. Only a handful known. Set with this card auctioned earlier this year for $30K. Impressive. I wonder if there are any that don't say "Cancelled." If they are all punched, I'm not sure I'd feel that I needed to card to really complete the set. It suggests the card never got to the public. The Rocky Graziano 1948 Leaf back story still seems to be a mystery.

Going to look into some of these other cards later.

It's okay to go outside the bounds of my initial post, and I already noted that can probably be a lot of discussion of what qualifies as a major issue, etc. No need to fight over characterization of a set.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>32 Caramel Presidents are not sports cards.

I thought the same earlier. >>

I just chimed in with that since Neil brought up non sports.
    Agreed on no further argument from me. It has been an interesting thread with good input from folks passionate about the hobby. Everyone should collect what they like. There is no right or wrong in however you go about it. Sorry about the disruption.

Al

<< <i>

I said "REGULAR ISSUE Topps base cards". Do you need me to explain the differences to you? Anything Topps produced before their REGULAR ISSUE 1952 Topps set isn't a REGULAR ISSUE Topps release. >>

Wow -- that's quite a theory. I've now met my first collector who disregards all of Topps' various nationally-issued baseball cards from 1951, from across three different sets.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I said "REGULAR ISSUE Topps base cards". Do you need me to explain the differences to you? Anything Topps produced before their REGULAR ISSUE 1952 Topps set isn't a REGULAR ISSUE Topps release. >>

Wow -- that's quite a theory. I've now met my first collector who disregards all of Topps' various nationally-issued baseball cards from 1951, from across three different sets. >>

I haven't "disregarded" them. I simply don't se them as "regular issue" Topps cards. They are like these;

1955 Topps Double Headers
    1956 Topps Pins
    1960 Topps Tattoos
    1962 Topps Bucks
    1964 Topps Coins
    1964 Topps Giants
    1964 Topps Stand-Ups
    Topps Venezuelan
    O-Pee-Chee

Topps releases, yes. "Regular issue", not in my opinion. The 1951 Topps stuff is liken to test issues and niche products like these, IMO. You don't have to agree.

• << <i>

<< <i>32 Caramel Presidents are not sports cards.

I thought the same earlier. >>

I just chimed in with that since Neil brought up non sports. >>

Which He always will !!imageimageimage

The Mckinley isn't even in the same league when it comes to rarity, when compared to the "I'm Going To Be" Strongman. The Mckinley has 3 Graded examples and I've seen over the years at Shows and on E-bay at least 20-30 other examples. There was a guy at the Philly show had like 8-10 of them. The Strongman has One (1) confirmed copy in existence !!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    .... non regulars...image

imageimage

imageimage

Al
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    1946 Staggertz Bakery Tasty Pies #14 Del Wilber w/tab attached

• << <i>1946 Staggertz Bakery Tasty Pies #14 Del Wilber w/tab attached >>

That card is not rare at all.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA

• << <i>1946 Staggertz Bakery Tasty Pies #14 Del Wilber w/tab attached >>

Lee,

I've got 8-9 examples ungraded...what version are we talking? Which do you Need?image

Neil