Home Sports Talk

Denver Broncos and Peyton Manning - Your thoughts.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
Denver spanked the Saints last night with the defense putting the clamps on Drew Brees and the Saints offense for most of the game.

With a 4-3 record at essentially the half way point of the season and with the next 9 games being against 8 teams below .500 (the only team above .500 on the schedule is the Ravens) Denver could easily end up 10-6 or better. That should be good enough to win the AFC West given the medicore teams in the Division. Though Denver lost to the Falcons, Texans and Patriots in games where the Broncos fell behind big early and then rallied late, the teams seems to be jelling.

Sure would like to see Denver win the Division, make some noise in the playoffs and actually be a contender again for the Super Bowl title (of course that means Denver would actually have to beat the Patriots, something they have failed to do twice in 2012).

If Peyton Manning is able to avoid injury this year Denver (Elway) will be touted as shrewd in signing him. He looks like he is getting back to his old self.

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think Denver will go 11-5 and easily win the division but only because their division is putrid. They may even get a bye in the first round. Week 15 at Baltimore is the only real test they have left.

Don't let the media (who are constantly on their knees for Manning) fool you though. They are a good team, not great, certainly improving each week, but they got blasted out of the gate by the 3 best teams they've played. Their 4 wins are against teams I would consider mediocre at best. I can see a replay of his Colts heyday, when he'd routinely win 11-13 games and get bounced in the first playoff game.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three games Denver has lost have both bad and good in them. Bad because Denver fell behind so big so quickly. Good because in the second halves of those games Denver got going and came back. The same thing happened in the San Diego game but Denver was able to blow out the Chargers in the second half and win the game.

If Denver can avoid falling behind early, score points and play well on the defensive side of the ball the team could make a run.

In any event, I hope that my favorite team can get back to where it at makes the playoffs on a regular basis (unlike many of the previous 12+ years since Elway retired when Denver was hardly a factor).
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hate em!!!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • I picked up Peyton in both of my fantasy leagues in the fifth round. So, I am quite happy with how things are going in Denver.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Yep,still hate em,even after a good nights sleep..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    goraiders:

Right back at you with my dislike of the Raiders (still can't get over the Raiders dominance of the Broncos in the 1960's and 1970's when I was a kid growing up in Denver; also still do not like that the Raiders still hold a huge lead over the Broncos in the 52 years of the teams playing each other).

The Broncos spanked the Raiders in their first meeting this year. I expect that the Raiders will be itching for payback in game two and they have been very good against the Broncos over the past 4-5 years.

Well I thought it over,figured I would give it some serious thought,
    Yep still hate em and the pick-up truck Manning rode in onimage
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    NFL, Week 9 -

Broncos win and are at 5-3;

Raiders lose and are at 3-5; and

Life is goodimage

(For the next few days at least.)

<< <i>NFL, Week 9 -

Broncos win and are at 5-3;

Raiders lose and are at 3-5; and

Life is goodimage

(For the next few days at least.) >>

And I hate Manning a lil bit more today than yesterday..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • He ain't no Tom Brady thats for sure.

<< <i>He ain't no Tom Brady thats for sure. >>

Ahh ol' tuck Brady, Hate him same as the day he fumbled in playoff game..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    NFL Week 10

Life is still good.

Denver wins. Oakland and San Diego lose. The Chiefs are out of the division race.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did the AFC West get so soft?? It's worse than the old AL Central, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>NFL Week 10

Life is still good.

Denver wins. Oakland and San Diego lose. The Chiefs are out of the division race. >>

As much as it pains me to say this,Manning is a bad man! I have Jags season tixs for ten yrs. now
    and always looked forward to when they came to town. I also got to see him in sb IN MIAMI
    and he looks to be on his way to another.Why denver manning why???image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    Manning's success this year as QB of the Broncos in part is due to his skill set and experience; and also due to the fact that his offensive line is. so far, giving him lots of protection and lots of time to set up and throw.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He ain't no Tom Brady thats for sure. >>

R U KIDDING ME????
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    NFL Week Eleven.

Life is still good.

Denver wins and is 7-3 with a three game lead over San Diego which is now 4-6. Manning throws 3 more TDs and about 270 yards. He is having a great year.

Next Week Denver plays at K.C. and should win (though Denver at Arrowhead has not had great luck recently).

San Diego lost to Denver today. Oakland at 3-7 lost and K.C. at 1-9 lost.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Raider fan image , but I hate the Donkos too!!

I've never been more embarrassed to be a Charger fan, than I am this year! imageimage

I have to say though, the fans in Denver are some of the best in the country. I was stationed at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs from 1995-1998, and went to the Charger-Bronco games each of those years at Mile High Stadium (and yes, I wore my Charger jersey, hat and coat). Just a lot of good-natured ribbing back and forth. Of course, I wasn't sitting in the south bleachers either!! I was on the lower level, either on the north end, or the east side. The best moment though at one of the games, was at the Charger - Bronco game in 1996. The Avalanche had just come back from opening their season on the road, and several of the players, including Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy, came onto the field carrying the Stanley Cup with them. I was standing at the gate at the southeast corner of the field when the players came through, and I got a very up-close look at the Cup! On top of that, Patrick Roy even stopped and signed a few autographs, even though he was carrying his young son in his arms imageimage

Steve
    NFL Week 12

Denver wins #6 in a row.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    1 and done in the playoffs.
    Mickey71:

Given the recent history of Denver (i.e. 2 or 3 years ago having an 8-4 record, having S.D. four games behind at 4-8, losing 4 straight to end the regular season at 8-8, having S.D. win four straight to end the regular season at 8-8 and having S.D. win the tie breaker to win the division and make the playoffs) I take nothing for granted and assume nothing. Today Denver is 8-3 with 5 games to go. S.D. is 4-7. Oakland is 3-8. If Denver loses 5 straight and S.D. and/or Oakland win 5 straight Denver will not win the division and not make the playoffs. Granted the chances of Denver not winning the division are slim, but until Denver wins the division any talk of playoffs for the Broncos is premature.

For a Denver fan like me, this regular season has so far turned out to be a good one (So far much better than last year's edition with Tebow getting the nod at QB, going on a winning streak, then going on a losing streak, making the playoffs by default, beating the Steelers and getting stomped by the Patriots). The 2012 Broncos have a good defense, are giving Manning all the time he needs to throw and are high scoring. Their 3 losses have been to top teams and after falling far behind early in all three games they mounted second half comebacks. Since the first game at S.D. where they won 35-24 after being behind 24-0 at half time Denver has not trailed big. If Denver can manage to win 2 or 3 of its remaining 5 games the 2012 regular season can be viewed as a big success. If somehow Denver wins out and finishes 13-3 it should have momentum going into the playoffs and it may have a first round bye.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Sanction,
    I hear what you're saying. They are good. I think against the top teams in the playoffs they will be 1 and done. Folks forget that Manning many times had been less than stellar in the playoffs.

Mickey71
    Denver Broncos - 2012 AFC West Champions and playoff bound image

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO PEYTON image

GrandAm :)
    Tomorrow night - Denver visits the Black Hole in Oakland.

Any predictions on the final score? Oakland will be itching for payback since Denver spanked the Raiders in Denver earlier this year.

• I thought Peyton might struggle on a new team and coming back after missing a year, but he's been great as ever. I think they'll dominate the Raiders. Let's say 38-17 or so.
    Denver beats the Raiders in Oakland. Sweeping the 3aiders this season and winning 8 in a row makes life good right now. Wonder if Denver can win next week at Baltimore.

Go Broncos.

<< <i>Denver beats the Raiders in Oakland. Sweeping the 3aiders this season and winning 8 in a row makes life good right now. Wonder if Denver can win next week at Baltimore.

Go Broncos. >>

YEAH YEAH YEAH,MANNING IS THE BfST,HE'S GONNA GEt OUR COUNTRY OUTTA DEBT in there
    first round playoff bye I hear..Why god did you not send him to San Fran???????
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the Broncos vs Colts in the playoffs. That might get some attention.
    Hard to say just how good (or not) the Broncos are while playing in that Div I-AA AFC West...we'll find out come playoff time..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Denver plays at Baltimore this coming Sunday.

This game will possibly reveal whether Denver is a "contender" or a "pretender". If Denver wins it will be 11-3 with the final two games being against weak teams (thus a possible 13-3 record which may be good enough to earn a first round bye in the playoffs).

This coming weekend will have plenty of compelling drama since 6 games pit above .500 teams against each other (including games relevant to AFC playoff spots and seeding - Denver v. Baltimore [go Denver]; SF at New England [will the 49rs get a beat down from NE, or will SF win in Foxboro to assert its dominance in the NFC and the league?]; and the first of two meetings between the #1 seed, 11-2 Texans and the up and coming 9-4 Colts [will Houston recover from its MNF thrashing in Foxboro, or will the Colts "Luck" out and knock Houston from the #1 playoff seed perch it now sits on?].

Teams already in the playoffs competing for playoff seeding and first round byes. Other teams competing to lock up division titles and/or wild card playoff spots, whilst holding off those teams that are "in the hunt".

Gotta love the NFL in Decemberimage

Back to the Broncos, Donkos, Donkeys (take your pick). When they have their first (or possibly second, or possibly even third) game in the AFC playoffs this year, I hope that they get a rematch with New England. It would be great to see Denver beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Further, if it ever turned out that Denver gets back to the Superbowl [been a looooonnggg time], I would like to see a match up with the N.Y. Giants (so the Manning brothers can play against each other and bring another title into the family).
    Denver beats the Ravens in Baltimore 34-17 in a game that was not close.

I did not think Denver would beat Baltimore so easily. Denver's defense played very well and its offense was evenly balanced between passing and running.

Denver has now won 9 in a row and barring a major stumble should win the next two games and finish 13-3. A possible 1st round bye in the playoffs is possible, especially if New England loses to SF tonite.

Go SF, beat New England, so Denver can get the #2 AFC playoff seed.

Go Denver
    Broncos are looking good right now...in a conference where no one team is really dominant, they have as good a chance as
    anyone of reaching the Super Bowl.

Denver, thanks to SF, now has the #2 seed in the AFC.

It is still possible that if Denver wins out and Houston stumbles that Denver could snag the #1 seed and have home field advantage in the AFC playoffs.

Cleveland is next. Hopefully Denver will not stumble against the Browns.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Broncos seem to be galloping in stride with Peyton. Even if they are playing in the AFC "worst".

I like them in the AFC championship game with or without a bye week.

Denver beats Cleveland 34-12 and is now 12-3, winners of 10 straight games. #2 seed in the AFC playoffs behind 12-3 Houston. If Houston loses to the Colts next week and Denver beats K.C. then it will have the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs. Denver should beat K.C. at home at Invesco Field next Sunday. If Denver wins, that will be a great way to end the regular season and enter the playoffs.

Peyton Manning threw for 339 yards and 3 TDs today. He is a strong candidate for player of the year and for comeback player of the year (along with A.P. of the Vikings).

Go Denverimage
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish my Cowboys were doing as good.image

Denver is really looking good!
    When Denver wins the Super Bowl and Peyton is hoisting that trophy high into the air I predict he will look straight into the camera and say,,,,,,,,

"This one is for you Jim,,,," image

GrandAm image
    Denver beats KC 38-3, 11 wins in a row and the #1 seed in the AFC. A great regular season. Bring on the playoffs.

Go Broncos.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't have played out better for them. I'm glad Houston didn't get a bye week, they have looked horrible lately. Congrats to the Broncs.
    Dang Peyton looked good image

GrandAm image
    Broncos are the team to beat in the AFC, IMO. My projection for the Super Bowl is Denver vs Washington rematch.

Looking at the regular season opponents for Denver this year, Denver beat the Bengals and Ravens in Cincinnati and Baltimore. Denver was in control both of these games. Denver lost to Atlanta 27-21 and likely would have won the game if it did not have 4 turnovers. Denver out gained Atlanta and came back late by scoring 14 points in the 4th quarter after trailing 27-7. Denver lost by 6 to Houston 31-25. Each team had one turnover and Houston out gained Denver. Denver came back late and scored 14 points in the 4th quarter after trailing 31-11. Houston outplayed Denver in this game. Denver lost to New England 31-21. New England out gained Denver. Denver had three turnovers and after trailing 31-7 in the third quarter it scored 14 points in the 3rd and 4th quarter to close the gap.

After the New England loss in game 5 of the regular season Denver won 11 straight. Other than falling behind to San Diego 24-0 in the first half of the game in San Diego (which Denver overcame by scoring 35 points in the second half to win 35-24) Denver has not trailed big in any of its last eleven games.

Denver is playing well on both sides of the ball, has an evenly balanced running and passing game, has an o-line that is giving Manning plenty of time to throw and has a top 5 defense. It is #2 in scoring behind New England and is #3 in fewest points allowed behind SF and Seattle.

Since Denver has already won against the Bengals and Ravens I would like to see Denver play and beat the Colts (good story line there with Manning playing his former team and with it being Manning v. Luck) in its first playoff game. Next I would like to see Denver play and beat the Patriots to win the AFC crown. For the Superbowl it would be great to see Denver play and beat either Washington or SF (to avenge Denver's Superbowl blowout losses to those teams in the 1980's).

This season has been a good one for Denver fans. It would be even better if Denver could continue its winning streak for three more games.

Go Broncos.

Bring on the Ravens.

Denver beat the Ravens easily last month in Baltimore. Will be interesting to see how the encore plays out in Denver next weekend.

Unless Denver falls flat it should win and play for the AFC title the following week.

Go Broncos.
  • MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Game day! Heading to the stadium in about an hour. Nervous about this one.

Go Broncos!!!!
    MilehighHOF:

Hey, you stole my Avatar. You should pay me a royaltyimage

I am jealous. You are going to the game. Wish it were me. Have a great time, stay warm (I heard it will top out in the mid teens today in Denver) and cheer on the Broncos.

Any forumites want to make a prediction on the score?

Go Broncos.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Great game. The streak had to end sometime.

Not sure why butI like Manning a lil bit more today than in the past.image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bring on the Ravens.

Denver beat the Ravens easily last month in Baltimore. Will be interesting to see how the encore plays out in Denver next weekend.

Unless Denver falls flat it should win and play for the AFC title the following week.

Go Broncos. >>

Go Ravens !!! ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell