Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Charlotte Set in a Capital Plastics Holder - Not Often Seen

2»

Comments

• Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how did they do in the era before TPGs? Do you think most of their coins would grade? >>

Back then collectors of this level of material had knowledge and cajones!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    In the 1950s-mid 1980s, it was fairly common for southern gold dealers to offer this Capital Plastics-type holder to their clients who were working on a set of southern gold. The advent of the major grading services effectively put an end to this method of display. I agree that there is something neat (and refreshingly uncomplicated) about an old-time set in one of these holders.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible set of gold!

Capital Holders can do for any collection, what blue boxes or slabs spread out on a table can not...properly and tastefully Display the set!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn!!!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if the coins are sold individually, someone does have the opportunity to buy all the individual coins and maintain the set as a set.

- Ian >>

Perhaps I remember seeing this in the Stack's Floyd Starr proof set catalog (1991 or 92), but there was the concept of allowing there to be a bid to keep the set together which would be at the next increment above the total of all bids for the individual lots. If no such bid was made, the lots sold individually. I don't know how often this practice resulted in the sale of the set intact, though.

Are the coins going to be pedigreed to a specific collection when graded -- "Joe Blow Capital Charlotte Set"?
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow!
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Perhaps I remember seeing this in the Stack's Floyd Starr proof set catalog (1991 or 92), but there was the concept of allowing there to be a bid to keep the set together which would be at the next increment above the total of all bids for the individual lots. If no such bid was made, the lots sold individually. I don't know how often this practice resulted in the sale of the set intact, though.

Are the coins going to be pedigreed to a specific collection when graded -- "Joe Blow Capital Charlotte Set"? >>

We will be offering the coins individually, without the set concept - I know what you mean with offering individually and then as a set, but I never thought that was fair to the individual bidders to offer that (nor to the consignor, even though at first glance it might seem better, I don't think in reality it is).

At this stage, the set is not being pedigreed. It's still very early in the process, but after reading the comments on this board, I'm glad I didn't just start the grading process immediately without sharing the set photo.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a totally cool set. i hope it stays the way it is and its not broken up
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that this (the Charlotte set holder) was ever a stock item; something made to order.

That's right.Capitol Plastics would make any kind of holder the customer might want to accomodate his or her set.Such a holder cost alot more than the typical generic holder,however,since the opening sizes could be individually specified.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    What a crazy awesome set. To check that out in person would be a privilege.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    OK, I'll open the bidding at $178 face value with a limit of $14,796,16 (melt)image.
    What a wonderful presentation of a piece of numismatic history.
    Paul
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive. So very impressive..................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    All I want is a 1839-C QE for my type set! image
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

I'll take the 1838 & 1839 $5's!!!!!

What a wonderful set

Craig

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is seriously cool. It's so rare to see something like this.

It would be nice for this to stay intact but I understand the reasons for slabbing.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm my earlier post - I will have this set on display at Baltimore (table 353). The set has not been graded yet; it's intact in the holder.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real nice! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Any updates on this set?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I missed this when it was first posted.

Thanks for bringing the thread back around. image

Agreed. Awesome.

Mike
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that wonderful set. I hope they grade well.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous set.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw some of the coins in PCGS holders at the FUN show, and they were very nice. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A Charlotte Set in a Capital Plastics Holder - Not Often Seen >>

But I"VE seen one. If memory serves, that's the way they're displayed at the Charlotte Mint Museum. Dahlonega, too, I think.

It's been 20+ years since I went to Charlotte and 12+ since I visited Dahlonega, but that's how I remember seeing them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the name of the holder manufacturer with those metal post screws now -- "Cot-Well". Look for a CW monogram embedded into one of the holder's sides (serving the same purpose as the Capital Plastics alignment mark.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file