Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Charlotte Set in a Capital Plastics Holder - Not Often Seen

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
Before PCGS, valuable coins/sets were stored in flips, albums, cabinets and of course, Capital Plastics holders. Check this set out! It was bought in the 1970s and stored in a bank vault ever since.

- Ian

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Are they gonna break the set up or sell as is? That's awesome!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That's pretty kick-ass sick!!!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is freakishly cool.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Whoa! Now that's cool. I love that set exactly as-is.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Beautiful! I would leave it in the holder. Very cool!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    wow
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's fantastic!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

One of the nicest presentation sets I have ever seen.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    W image W !!!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Is it being pieced out or being sold as a set?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    it needs to be kept together!!!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    So how did they do in the era before TPGs? Do you think most of their coins would grade?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    matrix, I know your lurking around.....since you got $$$ to spend, buy this set. Forget the key dates in G or VG condition, want something neat, get this set
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    We're getting this set graded as a first step, sorry, I'm going to have to unscrew the screws and dismantle the set.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    Can you imagine there was actually a market for these type of holders back in the 1970s? They obviously don't make this particular type of capital holder anymore.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set... looks strikingly similar to one that was on display at the Charlotte Mint-Museum about 4 years ago (in addition to the permanent display coins)... lucite holder included. Do you have access to any close-up pics of the coins?

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Impressive.... very impressive.
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭
    I like it a lot!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice set... looks strikingly similar to one that was on display at the Charlotte Mint-Museum about 4 years ago (in addition to the permanent display coins)... lucite holder included. Do you have access to any close-up pics of the coins?

'dude >>

This set has been in a bank vault for 35 years, so must be a different set they had on display. I'll post some of the highlight coins once they are graded. Hope to have them back in about 10 days.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow!image That is freakin' awesome!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very cool indeed!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is type of collection that is far more impressive as a set than it will be once graded, IMO. There will be some no-grades and controversial grades, and once broken up, will lose the much of the coolness factor. That said, if the 49-C dollar is decent and grades at PCGS, I will be all over it. image

Thanks to Ian for posting it. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats is just simply tough!! ashame to break it up , but I understand the reasoning.

I am curious to some of the grades that will be recived on some of those coins??
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping the set together will keep the coolness factor around but it will also take away the majority of the collectors who would like to buy individual coins.
    That said, this set is awesome and I am looking forward to it!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not be a Capital brand holder. I don't think Capital used aluminum screws. I wouldn't be surprised if the holder was actually made in the 1950's or very early 1960's.

In any case, a very impressive set!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's amazing. They don't look dirty, and I'll guess some come back gennied, but I get your reason for breaking it up.

I'd love to have it just the way it is.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the most impressive things I have seen on the boards for a while. very Cool.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool. I saw one just like it at Dahlonega last year.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Very few would be able to afford as an entire, even though it would be amazingly cool to do so. No doubt, some of the coins will be not as ideal as they could be, but that would be amazing if they were all cherry for their respective issues. Anyway it makes logical sense to break it up for sale and grading.

Someone asked if they'll all slab, and I have little doubt they all will, unless something is really off, then those transgressions might come back gennied. All the TPGs will be somewhat forgiving of surface issues for branch mint southern gold.

Agree this is a Capital Plastics holder only in the generic sense of the term; there were many other lucite holder manufacturers and this would be one of those -- Capital Plastics going way back has used the clear plastic screws. It's very cool, but if someone really wanted to and could afford the set intact, they could also have a custom holder made fresh by the folks at Capital; heck, they might even be able to convince them to run it in transparent blue, green or red -- all it would take is money and patience!

Very cool set.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW ... just WOW!

Reminds me what many of us know ... there is some seriously cool stuff out there that hasn't been seen in a long, long time ... we just don't know where or what it is ...

Thanks for posting it in the holder Ian! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy! What an impressive set! Thanks for sharing that treasure Ian...

ABimage
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Crap!™ There's something you don't see every day. The holder was probably a one-off custom job. The screws look metal. Pretty old holder.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you imagine there was actually a market for these type of holders back in the 1970s? They obviously don't make this particular type of capital holder anymore.

- Ian >>

I don't think that this was ever a stock item; something made to order.

I had a couple of these made during the 70's, as I remember.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS inserts would be sequential and that alone would be cool let alone adding the Capital Plastics original holder.

If you believe each coin would grade- (No "Genuine only" slabs- I know that probably can't happen...) I'd have that done.
    What a tremendous set as is and would be.

peacockcoins

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that is cool. I wonder how long they took to put that set together?
    Cost then, as compared to selling price now? Thanks for sharing Ian.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I would just love to hold and examine it. What an awesome set!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cool set!
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    If that were a Randy Johnson slider, I'd say it was "filthy."

Well, I said it. Awesome!
  • Options
    I still need to work this out, but I am going to try to display this set at my table in Baltimore before grading.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That set is beautiful.

IMHO:

After certification of the coins and sale of the coins, as a single collection/lot, the coins should be cracked out and returned to the holder. The inserts should be kept with the collection for reference.

This is a collection, and should be restored to its original condition in the holder.

IN REALITY:

I know that dollar wise, more money can be made separating the set, and this set is doomed.

This reminds me of instances where collections of Audubon pictures of wildlife, or volumes containing various maps are broken up because they are more valuable separated, or sets of furniture are broken up during dispersal of estates. In all these cases, it is a shame to lose such sets.

All that aside, thanks very much for the post. Even seeing something like that in a picture is great. Kudos to the collector who assembled the set those decades ago.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful set to see in that holder. It's a real shame that it will be broken up.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franken-set! Awesome!
  • Options
    That's super cool.
  • Options
    Even if the coins are sold individually, someone does have the opportunity to buy all the individual coins and maintain the set as a set.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold in black--- fantastic!

Almost all of my collection of moderns (Kennedys, Ikes, Washington quarters. ect) are in white holders like this. I love how they look.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still need to work this out, but I am going to try to display this set at my table in Baltimore before grading.

- Ian >>

Crowd control required. That will bring traffic to your table!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file