Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is the best way to store sets in binders?

I have complete baseball sets from 1975 through 1985 and they are all in binders. I love being able to just pull one of the sets out and just flip through the pages and look at the cards. I was wondering what every one thinks is the best was to store them. I have always been careful to keep them flat and usually try not put one binder on top of another but I am running out of space. Is it safe to stand them up? I have always worried about them bending or warping if I stand them up. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Flat is the best way imo.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    The best way to store them is in binders made for PSA holders. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Ah, if only there were such a thing.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    got a bunch of 70's sets standing up side-by-side on a bookshelf, they seem to be doing just fine.

of course, we did just have a minor earthquake here earlier this morning. image
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>got a bunch of 70's sets standing up side-by-side on a bookshelf, they seem to be doing just fine.

of course, we did just have a minor earthquake here earlier this morning. image >>

Ditto. I have Topps sets from 1972 to 2011 standing up in binders.

Shane

• goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>got a bunch of 70's sets standing up side-by-side on a bookshelf, they seem to be doing just fine.

of course, we did just have a minor earthquake here earlier this morning. image >>

Ditto. I have Topps sets from 1972 to 2011 standing up in binders. >>

Yeah me to,I have a football run from 75-2012 and bought unikeep from a thread here from I believe tjmac;s show
    your collection.If you can find it,theres lots of great ideas there.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭
    Unikeep binders @ unikeep.com

Store binders vertical. Cards are completely safe.

Link ">Link
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭
    Fixed

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    mcolney, why are those binders better. I like how you have them set up. Which ones are you using from that site? Thanks
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mcolney what great display you have for your binders.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    binders in slip cases, upright on the shelf with no slack in the pages. Never had a problem.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>binders in slip cases, upright on the shelf with no slack in the pages. Never had a problem. >>

+1
  • I use the Unikeep, they keep the cards and pages dust free.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use the Unikeep, they keep the cards and pages dust free. >>

So does a folded up sheet on the top! image

Shane

• I really like the look of those Unikeep binders. Does anyone know if they they come in a size large enough to hold an entire baseball set of 726 cards? I didn't see anything that large on their web site. What do you do for larger sets? Split them up into multiple binders? Usually I just buy a 3" D ring binder from Staples but those Unikeep ones with the covers look much nicer.

• << <i>

<< <i>I use the Unikeep, they keep the cards and pages dust free. >>

So does a folded up sheet on the top! image >>

It is not exactly the same thing or same protection image

• << <i>I really like the look of those Unikeep binders. Does anyone know if they they come in a size large enough to hold an entire baseball set of 726 cards? I didn't see anything that large on their web site. What do you do for larger sets? Split them up into multiple binders? Usually I just buy a 3" D ring binder from Staples but those Unikeep ones with the covers look much nicer. >>

2 binders for a large set
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>binders in slip cases, upright on the shelf with no slack in the pages. Never had a problem. >>

What is a slip case?
  • I have binders full of Benchwarmers, playboy, and women's golf cards.

<< <i>

What is a slip case? >>

A case that the binder slips into. Keeps out dust and dirt.

Binders and Slipcases

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• radmanradman Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Roop binders were customized versions of the ARCHIVAL methods bindiers, correct?
    correct. Same exact product, minus the screened type.

• Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Does 2.5 inch size rings hold a 660 card set? What about a larger set (72 Topps baseball)? I assume the binders cover all types of plastic sheets (8.5 x 11)?
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    You can get a 660 card set into a 2.5" binder, using 9 cards per sheet (not necessary to stuff 18 in each front and back). Larger than this, I'd recommend a 3" binder. You might prefer to go all 3" to have a consistent look. With a 3" D style ring binder, you can squeeze up to about 850 cards in (a Topps set plus traded). It's a bit of a squeeze, but can work. I have a run of Roop binders and they are great. I'd highly recommend the Archival methods binders. The only sad/funny part is that my binders from 1981- for the most part cost more than the sets themselves! I did it for the optics, and it's really hard to come by the Roop binders, so I grabbed them as soon as I found them.

For anyone that might have a 1980 or 1982 Roop binder, I really need those two. PM me. Thanks.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
    I"d make sure the binder fits your set as close as possible- the only danger I see with this system is if the pages don't fill the binder and sag a bit.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to watch out for with binders is the front and back pages slipping under the ring causing the cards near the rings to get pinched. If you've ever seen an otherwise mint card that has a depression near the middle of the left or right edge, that's probably what did it.
  • Wow! Those Binders with the slip cases are freakin nice!
    The Problem is their a bit pricey,

Ive tried the unikeep binders. Their just to flimsy and the ultra pro pages get caught
    on the cheap plastic rings. Plus the Ultra pro pages just don't fit in them top to bottom.

I sold a case of these unikeeps off and Im looking at paying the extra money for the
    Binders and slip cases.

Right now I have made my own home made slip cases. I also place divider boards through out the binders.

imageimage