Home U.S. Coin Forum

Great Numismatists?

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most of the people we think of as "great numismatists" have been very wealthy.

The Garretts, the Norwebs, Eliasberg, etc.

Certainly, they formed great collections and their coins were often the best available.

But should you be considered a "great numismatist" if your ability to form a great collection is simply derived from the fact that you have enough money to buy any coin you want?

It seems to me that for a very wealthy collector, all you really have to have are connections and patience.

Comments

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there have also been plenty of wealthy collectors who are not considered great numismatists.
  • I don't consider Eliasberg a great numismatist. The Clapp's should get that credit.

The Norweb's and Garrett's were putting together collections before the telephone existed and there were barely any reference materials.

If I were to make a list, I don't know exactly who I would put on it, but I do know that Sylvester Crosby would be at the top.
  • For me here in Canada it has to be Pittman. He was by no means rich and he mortgaged his house twice to be able to buy some nice coins. To me this is a great story.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there sure are alot of great ones out there, thats for sure
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some great numismatists who post right here.
    Tom Delorey comes to mind. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich collectors can be great numismatics as well as the researchers and writers just different ends of the same stick maybe?
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Warren Mills, without a doubt.

• << <i>Rich collectors can be great numismatics as well as the researchers and writers just different ends of the same stick maybe?
    image >>

Heck yea. Look at what Bass did.
  • I'll nominate the remarkable Herbert P Hicks. Neither wealthy nor self-serving, Herb has freely contributed his formidable numismatic observations and research.

Go Herb! To know you is to love you. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    The definition of numismatist, as found in my quick on-line computer dictionary, is "The study or collection of money, coins, and often medals." By that definition, collecting is not necessarily inclusive in the definition. I personally think that there are many "Great Numismatists" on this forum, some wealthy, some not. There are also some of us that have vast collections, that by definition, might put us in the "Great" catagory by just shear volume, but might not be very studious, keeping us just coin collectors by my definition. I would certainly put QDB at the top of my list of "Great Numismatists" although by Gates, Rockerfella, etc. standards, he is not wealthy.
    Paul
  • Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping this old post and curious about everyone's thoughts.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 9:02AM

Partial list, alphabetical by first name or initial.

• Bill Hyder
    • Chester Lee Krause
    • Don Paul Taxay
    • Eric Pfeiffer Newman
    • Dr. George J. Fuld
    • Harry W. Bass
    • Jeff Shevlin
    • Mike Byers
    • Neil Musante
    • Roger W. Burdette
    • Q. David Bowers
    • Tom De Lorey
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I think @MFeld is a Great Numismatists ! That guy loves toned Peace $... lol (inside joke)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always considered the term 'numismatist' to represent a vast array of skills covering basic collectors to researchers and all combinations in between. Wealth can certainly enhance one's collection, not necessarily one's skills/knowledge base. Also there are those with extensive general knowledge and then those with extensive focused knowledge (i.e. VAM's, different dies and die states, one series/type focus). Numismatics is a vast field and no one knows everything. Cheers, RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 8:14AM

I vote for Fred Weinberg. Who in my loving innocence I once referred to as the “slabbed cricket guy”. ( of all the times to have an old guy memory lapse)
    There are others here that qualify in my opinion. The best part is all I have to do is ask reasonable questions, be polite and study.
    What a great time to be alive! Thanks to you all and special thanks to Fred who graciously let me slide and kindly understood my lapse of memory 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for the great numismatic writers, like Robert W. Julian and David T. Alexander. I've always told Bob that I want to be him when I grow up.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 9:02AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I vote for the great numismatic writers, like Robert W. Julian and David T. Alexander. I've always told Bob that I want to be him when I grow up.

You are a great numismatist and numismatic writer Tom! People like Roger are following in your footsteps with pieces like the INCO patterns :)

Along the same lines, your Elder reference is a standard and could be updated! I see you have a NLG best article award. When you update the Elder book, try to get a NLG best book award!

It should be noticed, that some forum members like Mike @Byers have won NLG Best Book awards!

Hmm. let me add both of you to my list!

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of the greatest numismatists I have ever had the pleasure to know were Russell Logan and John McCloskey. They both authored definitive reference books as well as founding and running two of the most popular specialty clubs in numismatics. I can not imagine modern numismatics without their contributions.

Even though they built very meaningful collections their research and dedication to education FAR out weighed the coins they accumulated.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

John McCloskey is a great example!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ByersByers Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

“ It should be noticed, that some forum members like Mike @Byers have won NLG Best Book awards!”

There are some other forum members who should be added to the list as well, who have also won the NLG Best Book award.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my circle of friends, I'm a tremendous numismatist.... of the highest order, in fact.

I'm also the only one who collects coins.

;)

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    In my circle of friends, I'm a tremendous numismatist.... of the highest order, in fact.

I'm also the only one who collects coins.

;)

You need a larger circle. 😉

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like to add DWLange as a great numismatist.

• DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

Curious that I have not seen Ken Bressett's name mentioned. At 92, Ken is as sharp as a tack. He still writes and will be a special guest at the Fundamentals of Grading class at the ANA National Money Show in Colorado Springs. He is a real gentleman and the newest member of the Society of Bearded Numismatists.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file