Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 World Series: Tigers tamed, Giants complete the sweep!

Comments

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    congrats to the giants you were the better team and really made us look bad...i guess we just have to hope we make it back next year..once again congrats to the giants you guys played outstanding and deserve it
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heartfelt congrat's from a Tiger's Fan. Well played.

Go get em next year Tiger's.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    2012 World Series: Tigers tamed, Giants complete the sweep!

WOW! Tigers hitters started waking up against Matt Cain, but ultimately, it was a rally started by none other than "DH" Ryan Theriot (it worked!) that gave the Giants a 10th inning lead, and set up the scene for Sergio Romo to come in and D-E-A-L, with the final at bat being the AL Triple Crown winner getting frozen by an unexpected fastball down the pipe.

I had to keep my enthusiasm somewhat muted, as I was holding a sleeping 1 month old baby in my arms during the game. image

Panda won the World Series MVP, even though his offensive damage was pretty much limited to game 1. He hit .500 over the 4 game series.

Tonight's heroes:

Ryan The Riot! My first thought when I saw him being listed as the DH was "WTF?" But he's the guy who started the rally in the 10th, and came in to score the go ahead run.
    SCUTARO! Clutch hit against the Tigers closer drove in the winning run.
    MVPosey! His bat came to life to erase a 2-1 deficit in one swing.

imageimageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Digi, great recap during the run. I, for one, could not be happier and my kids are spoiled. The 8 year old and 5 year old are now thinking this is the norm vs. the torture their old man had to suffer years on end. The worst part is the timing of the parade. Two school Halloween events are kind of, perhaps debatable as I think further, trumping me going into the city. Whatever, I'm still in 7th heaven. Yeaaaaah!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    There must be a mistake. The World Series can't be over because Verlander has only pitched in one game so far. He was supposed to pitch in 2 if not 3 games. When it's his turn to pitch have them call Cliff Lee as they are buds and have a lot in common.
  • Options
    Vegas had the Giants as underdogs in each of these 4 games. Most national sportswriters had the Tigers winning in 5 or 6 games.

Like in 2010, the Giants used elite pitching to overwhelm a powerful foe.

And, just because the world is a silly place, Santiago Casilla "earned" the Win for Game 4. All he did was loose control of an up-and-in pitch that broke a bone in poor Omar Infante's hand, then get a ground-out.

• Options
    A look back at what the "experts" thought.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It's done, it's done, it's done. Baseball season ends for the Giants and their fans in the only way everybody dreams of it happening. Two in three years with most of the team coming back next year, this could be the foundation of another Bay Area sports dynasty.

Let's do it again next year.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>A look back at what the "experts" thought.

image >>

Almost every "expert" who picked the Tigers couldn't hold back their infatuation of the chosen one. The best part was after Game 1 when all those "experts" were busy pulling their pants up trying to justify what they saw when the chosen one got Panda'd twice.

Every time a non Eastern team wins a postseason game the East Coast biased media dies a little more. For the West Coast fans that's not a problem.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my guess is not too many "experts" chose the Giants during all the preseason prognostications
  • Options
    Is Detroit on the East Coast now?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just shows how much the experts really know.

Congrats to the Giants and their fans!

Who was it here on the forums that picked the Tigers in 4!!!!image

Looks like the Tigers got the "other" end of the broom!imageimage
  • Options
    The Tigers aren't "east coast", but after stomping the Yankees, the media seemed to crown them.

Same thing happened in 2010 when the Rangers beat the Yankees.

With it all over with, it's interesting to note that:

1) Xavier Nady never left the dugout.
    2) Guillermo Mota and Javier Lopez never left the bullpen.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Giants and Giant's fans...well done!!

Enjoy the moment, it goes quickly.
  • Options

<< <i>Is Detroit on the East Coast now? >>

Actually in the minds of many West Coasters anything east of Colorado conveniently gets lumped into "East Coast".

Okay, maybe not Kansas City or Texas but anywhere east of Chicago.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, you guys battled hard and deserved the W
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Giants; their fans; the SF Bay Area; to digicat; and to WTCG (two die hard Giants fans on the forums).

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    I'm not taking anything away from the Giants, they deserved it in the end, but for anyone looking at the numbers and odds, the Giants weren't the prudent pick. Why would you favor a team that has 5 players in their starting lineup who were average to replacement level hitters...going up against the Tigers' rotation? You wouldn't. Because the odds wouldn't be in your favor. Add a sixth stiff with Hector Sanchez and Ryan Theriot as your AL park DH options. The Giants had outstanding depth and got away with rolling Zito (Blanco's defense saved him) and Bumgarner (who did not pitch well in Game 2 despite the result) out there, has it's ace toiling in middle relief, received some outstanding defense (even from a normally crap - Panda). timely hitting, and some bully guys pitching over their heads. All due respect to them, but let's not pretend like the Giants were a markedly superior team this year. It's a small 5-7 game sample size. The best team doesn't always win as the '87 Twins and '06 Cardinals can attest to. Not saying the Tigers were the best team, but they certainly aren't a 0-4 team with those top 4 starters. There were six teams who could have just as easily won the WS this year (Giants included but they weren't any better than the Cards, Reds or Nats in the NL this year). After all, this the team that rolled out a .194/.266/.339 team slash and 4.11 team ERA against the Reds. If it weren't for Baker (starting Rolen's corpse over Todd Frazier among his usual "gut" managing idiocy) the Giants would have lost that series. They should have lost to the Cardinals even though the Giants played much better against them than they did against the Reds. A .242/.289/.394 offense (in the WS) shouldn't be enough, but it was when the Tigers trotted out a .159/.243/.246. You can give credit to the Giants pitching staff for that, and you should to a large extent, but you also have to note that it was the result of more than just the Giants pitching. I don't think you're going to see the rest of baseball attempting to nick the Giants' offensive structure and immediately sign a bunch of light hitting contact guys. The M's have proven you can't just win on just great defense, and the O's didn't win solely on a great bullpen. It was just one of those post seasons where everything went right, at the right time, for the Giants. Had Holliday ripped up Scutaro's knee, we're probably talking about another team here today. God forbid another Cardinals triumph, perhaps. Teams get hot, teams get unlucky. That's how it goes. The LA Kings weren't the best team in the NHL this year. Had they not made a coaching change they likely wouldn't have even made the playoffs. They just happened to be the best team when it mattered....in a small sample. The Tigers were a better team than the Cardinals in '06...then their collective pitching staff forgot how to throw anywhere but home plate. Stuff happens.

Edit to add: Here's an excellent article detailing the Giants' depth
  • Options
    There is no trophy for a team that looks better on paper than everyone else, but loses it's final game of the year.

Except for maybe in fantasy baseball, but I don't know much about that.

• Options
    from the Dave Cameron article linked to above: "This World Series was basically Star Power versus Depth, and Depth just kicked the crap out of Star Power. And roster depth is almost always a sign of a well run front office. Perhaps its time that we stop underrating the Giants organization, and stop underrating the value of depth in October while we’re at it."

• Options
    In another contrast between 2010 and this year:
    In 2010, everyone who was on the active roster in September was allowed to come along for the ride, even if they didn't make the playoff roster.
    In 2012, only 4 non-active guys were asked to come along for emergency replacement duty (Whiteside, Peguero, Hensley, Machi).

Loux (19 games), Otero (opening day roster, 12 games), Penny (22 games), Petit (1 game), Runzler (6 games), Pill (opening day roster, 48 games), and Burriss (opening day roster, 60 games) were all asked to stay home.

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Congrats 2012 Giants! You really stepped up and made our team look pathetic. Goes to show that paper means nothing and passion is the true yardstick.....the latter of which we had none.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never would have guessed that the Giants would walk through Detroit the way they did. I actually though this series would go 6, maybe even 7.
    Congrats to all the SF fans.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    yes but you can't just assume that depth will overcome subpar regulars on a yearly basis. It might work some years, but to me, the Giants were a better team last year with Beltran over Pence and roughly the same cast and they didn't win....so.... Besides depth doesn't always come into play in a short series...as the '08 Cubs can attest. The Yankees have better bench options than the Giants. Didn't help them. Depth matters in a 162 season for sure. Bullpen depth mattered last year when no Ranger or Cardinal starter could get through 5 IP. The Giants were fortunate, just as the Reds were, that the starters were healthy pretty much all year because, speaking of depth, you have no SP depth at AAA...especially with Surkamp injured. That is on the organization. Sabean did try to reclamate Brad Penny, but he didn't exactly turn into Vogelsong. So it wasn't just the Giants' MLB depth, that's just an easy narrative. Depth didn't matter in the series against the Reds when your bench players like Nady were 0-5 with 3 K's or Theriot was 0-2. Arias got a couple hits so that's a plus but he didn't drive in any runs. He was also left off of the WS roster, I believe. So they were also replacement level-average in the series. And I don't think anyone is really suggesting that Arias/Theriot/Nady are depth. Nady should be retired and Theriot is just awful at pretty much everything including being one of the game's worst baserunners. The bullpen was certainly good save for Mota and Mjjares. That's depth, but most teams have depth in the bullpen when your moving 1 or 2 starters from the rotation into it. In the end it just came down to breaks and the opposition failing to execute. When the Giants sucked, the opposition just sucked a little more, or the opposition didn't get a bounce here or there. The Giants received quite a few fortunate breaks. Cueto going down after a couple of pitches in Game 1 meaning he was also gone for Game 5. Not to mention also turning over their rotation with Latos having to move up. Pagan's roller that nicked the bag leading to a key double. The rockets tagged off of Zito in Game 1 just happened to fall within range of Blanco. Scutaro not blowing out his knee ..or Scutaro remembering that he's Marco Scutaro and not Ichiro circa 2001. That's just how it goes sometimes. That doesn't mean the Giants weren't deserving, or were completely lucky, it just means they weren't quite as bad as the opposition when it mattered the most...esp in the NLDS and NLCS. It has nothing to do with stats or whatever "better on paper" is. Small sample sizes in a short series means anything can happen. I mean you could play a simple game of elimination between the rosters of the Giants and Tigers and unless you're a Cardinal-esque insufferable homer, I think you'd find that you might take a few more Tiger players over your own even past the top 7 that Cameron notes. Personally I'm taking Peralta over Crawford and normally Infante/Scutaro would be at worst a wash if not for Scutaro forgetting that he's Marco Scutaro since coming over from the Rockies...from an extreme hitters park to an extreme pitchers park...in the same division...against the same pitching...and all. Then you get down to choosing between Delmon Young's offense against Blanco's defense. In this series, Blanco's defense mattered. Defense from a LFer in any other series may not be of any consequence. Austin Jackson is better at baseball than Pagan, and was this series as well. But despite Pagan's craptacular .426 OPS, he managed to come up with 2 key hits...that's just how it goes in a 4 game sample. They outplayed the Tigers for sure, in most every aspect. But they didn't outplay the Reds or Cards but they won. Good on them.

• Options
    Yes, yes, but the 2012 Giants beat the 2012 Reds in the 2012 NLDS, the 2012 Cardinals in the 2012 NLCS, and ultimately won the 2012 World Series in a 4 game sweep of the 2012 AL champ Detroit Tigers.

There will be a parade in SF on Wednesday, and the Giants will wear "World Champ" patches all of next season.

Can they improve the team during the off-season? Absolutely. If you're not growing, you're dying.

• Options
    A Taiwanese animation explaining the Giants World Series sweep of the Tigers. It's pretty funny but it gets a bit macabre at the end but hey, it's animated art.
  • Options
    I just turned down an offer to ride shotgun in a tv satellite truck with my father-in-law, covering the Giants parade on Wednesday.

Does that make me a bad fan?

I figure it'd be more comfortable to stream the whole thing live on the internet. Plus, I'll get home in plenty of time to take the kids out trick-or-treating.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the win. Not much to say except good job!

It's very hard living in Nor Cal as a Dodger fan... and even harder this week.

• Options
    So, how do you like the fact that the Kings are now playing at "Sleep Train" Arena? Your ticket to a better night sleep?

Horrible sponsor name.

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    having been a fan of the giants since the days of Marichal, Mays, McCovey, Haller, Bolin, Sanford and we can't forget Jim Davenport and Hart, it was nice to see them win the series. Besides they beat up on the Tigers who won the Central where my #1 team resides, the Indians.

al.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    "but to me, the Giants were a better team last year with Beltran over Pence and roughly the same cast and they didn't win....so"

One name that makes this statement totally false. Buster Posey, he ran the pitching staff amazingly, not to mention his hitting.
  • Options
    By the time Beltran was healthy enough to contribute in 2011, the Giants were 2 games back. They were 5 back by the time September 1st came.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>"but to me, the Giants were a better team last year with Beltran over Pence and roughly the same cast and they didn't win....so"

One name that makes this statement totally false. Buster Posey, he ran the pitching staff amazingly, not to mention his hitting. >>

except the Giants had much better pitching as a collective last year - +15.7 WAR compared to +5.5 this season. Granted that has a good deal to do with Lincecum turning into the worst starter in MLB of those qualified, but still. Bumgarner was down a tick from last year 2.1 to 1.8. Vogelsong dropped from 2.9 to 1.7. Also Chris Stewart is one of the best defensive catchers in the game - posting a +12 defensive runs saved in only 66 games last year compared to Buster Posey's -1 in a full season this year. Beltran was worth one full win over his short tenure in SF, and Pence was barely average at +0.1. SF also had Theriot/Burriss soaking up ABs to the tune of +84 & +44 OPS+ respectively pre-Scutaro for 4 months. Freddy Sanchez was +109 last year. He was a 2 win player with Theriot -0.4,, Burriss - guh -1.2. Even adding in Scutaro's 2 month 2 win run they still barely broke even at 2B. Obviously Posey helped, and obviously Pagan was superior to Torres/Rowand offensively. Sandoval was worth 5.9 WAR last year compared to 2.0 this year in right around the same number of ABs. Huff was garbage last year, and he was hot garbage this year. Burrell and Belt were right around even. I'm not going to even count Melky/Blanco vs Ross since we know Melky was on gas.
  • Options

<< <i>except... >>

The 2011 Giants scored the 2nd fewest runs in MLB. Giants missed the playoffs.

In 2012, the Giants lead the league in 2012 World Series Championships.

• Options
    Judging the merits of a team by numbers and stats alone is fine and dandy until that team actually takes the field and plays. By stats alone the Tigers should have scored a minimum of 10 runs per World Series game and Verlander should have thrown a perfect game through the 7th inning. The East Coast writers always make predictions about West Coast teams by stats alone without the benefit of actually watching those teams play. Boy do they look foolish now.

The numbers cited may tell you otherwise but the 2011 Giants were one of the worst if not the worst offensive teams in all the majors. For the starting rotation it was a "throw a shutout or you're getting a loss" mentality. Anemic would be an understatement. This year the Giants offense had some anemic moments but unlike last year if the team was down by 2 runs you thought the team could actually come back and win.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>except... >>

The 2011 Giants scored the 2nd fewest runs in MLB. Giants missed the playoffs.

In 2012, the Giants lead the league in 2012 World Series Championships. >>

Murray Chass in the house...
  • Options
    They also seem to be leading the league in 2012 World Series Championship parades.

What's the statistical analysis of this?

• Options

<< <i>They also seem to be leading the league in 2012 World Series Championship parades.

What's the statistical analysis of this?
    image >>

Jack Morris for HOF!!!

btw, since you're apparently doing everything in your power to ignore small samples and their correlation to short series, read these two articles.

Pay particular attention to what I've been trying to convey...

It would be as equally trite and reductive to say the Giants won because of the use of sabermetrics. The most we can say with any certainty is that the Giants won through a combination of talent and good fortune. (It's frowned upon, these days, to mention good fortune in connection with a team's successes, but there are no bad teams in the playoffs, and especially in a short series there isn't enough time for talent to prevail. That isn't to deny that the Giants were talented -- again, there are no bad teams in the playoffs. But it shouldn't be beyond the pale to acknowledge that chance plays some part in these things.)

Johnny Cueto and the Reds like the way this guy thinks...

• Options

<< <i>Jack Morris for HOF!!! >>

When did we start talking about the Hall of Fame? I thought we were talking about the 2012 World Series Champ SF Giants.

Jack Morris is not in the hall of fame, which is decided by a vote. Folks like to argue about whether or not it should happen or not. As it stands, he's not in the Hall and probably will never be.

The Giants DID win the 2012 World Series by defeating other teams. There's no vote involved in that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jack Morris for HOF!!! >>

When did we start talking about the Hall of Fame? I thought we were talking about the 2012 World Series Champ SF Giants.

Jack Morris is not in the hall of fame, which is decided by a vote. Folks like to argue about whether or not it should happen or not. As it stands, he's not in the Hall and probably will never be.

The Giants DID win the 2012 World Series by defeating other teams. There's no vote involved in that. >>

dance with what brung 'em
  • Options

<< <i>dance with what brung 'em >>

???

Please show me the stat that shows that the Giants didn't win the 2012 World Series. I'd like to see it.

• Options
    I didn't notice that you edited an earlier post until now:

<< <i>btw, since you're apparently doing everything in your power to ignore small samples and their correlation to short series, read these two articles. >>

I'm curious, what exactly do you think my position is?

• Options

<< <i>I didn't notice that you edited an earlier post until now:

<< <i>btw, since you're apparently doing everything in your power to ignore small samples and their correlation to short series, read these two articles. >>

I'm curious, what exactly do you think my position is? >>

Your post at the bottom of Page 3 and championing Sabean pretty much ties a bow around it. If nothing else, you've now discovered thanks to Bobby Evans, not Sabean, the club was aided, heavily, by a stats guy. Kind of kills your narrative of the last few days, eh?
  • Options

<< <i>Your post at the bottom of Page 3 and championing Sabean pretty much ties a bow around it. If nothing else, you've now discovered thanks to Bobby Evans, not Sabean, the club was aided, heavily, by a stats guy. Kind of kills your narrative of the last few days, eh? >>

According to how I see the forums on my computer, we ARE on Page 3. Could you copy and paste the exact quote where I'm "championing Sabean?"

Also, my "narrative" of the last few days is "The SF Giants won the 2012 World Series." I haven't seen anything that kills that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Your post at the bottom of Page 3 and championing Sabean pretty much ties a bow around it. If nothing else, you've now discovered thanks to Bobby Evans, not Sabean, the club was aided, heavily, by a stats guy. Kind of kills your narrative of the last few days, eh? >>

According to how I see the forums on my computer, we ARE on Page 3. Could you copy and paste the exact quote where I'm "championing Sabean?"

Also, my "narrative" of the last few days is "The SF Giants won the 2012 World Series." I haven't seen anything that kills that. >>

We're on page 5 on my browser.

Also, my "narrative" of the last few days is "The SF Giants won the 2012 World Series." I haven't seen anything that kills that.

A narrative is a sequence. The sports team from my town is better than the sports team from Detroit- isn't a sequence. If you review the last two pages, you'll find your answer.
  • Options

<< <i>A narrative is a sequence. The sports team from my town is better than the sports team from Detroit- isn't a sequence. If you review the last two pages, you'll find your answer. >>

The 2012 Giants won the 2012 World Series. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Unless you can show me where I'm championing Sabean (or even mentioning him or anyone from the Giants front office), then I'll just assume that you're trolling.

• Options
    apparently Page 4 is an optical illusion on your browser.

The 2012 Giants won the 2012 World Series. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

awesome
  • Options
    I have the settings for this page set to display 40 posts per page. What's yours set to?

We're still on Page 3 as I see it.

• Options