Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 World Series: Tigers tamed, Giants complete the sweep!

Much like Cliff Lee in 2010, Verlander is the big God of Pitchers who the Giants are not supposed to beat. Who knows?

Giants pitching turned into a shut-down machine at the end of the NLCS, holding the #2 ranked offense in the NL (#5 in MLB) to 1 run in 27 innings.

The man who flipped the switch for the Giants will likely go in Game 1: Barry Zito. Most Giants fans find little comfort in that name, but if he can do what he did in Game 4 of the NLCS, then he'll be fine.

As I said in the previous thread, Verlander's got a bizare home/road split:

In Detroit: 15 starts, 1.65 era, 0.942 whip, .187/.251/.286 against.
On the road: 18 starts, 3.57 era, 1.164 whip, .243/.287/.370 against.

He's a totally different pitcher on the road than he is at home, and I never really thought of Detroit as being a pitchers park.

Different series, different team. The Tigers squashed a deflated Yankee squad that watched their Captain go down for the season in Game 1. They've have had almost a week to sit around while the Giants are going into Game 1 with the blowout victory over the Cards still fresh in their minds.

The pitching doesn't like up the best for the Giants though. We're not likely to see Cain and Vogelsong pitch until Detroit, and they're stronger at home than on the road, and will have to contend with either Lincecum or Bumgarner pitching in Game 2... unless they try and make Vogelsong go on short rest.

Edit to add: no roster changes.

25 man World Series roster (via my rookie card collection) (bolded name = part of the 2010 post-season roster)

Starting Pitchers: Zito (Game 1), Bumgarner (Game 2), Vogelsong (Game 3), Cain (Game 4)
imageimageimageimage

The Infield: Posey (C), Belt (1b), Scutaro (2b, NLCS MVP), Crawford (SS), Sandoval (3b)
imageimageimageimageimage

The Outfield: Blanco (LF), Pagan (CF), Pence (RF)
imageimageimage

The Bullpen: Affeldt (L), Casilla (R), Kontos (R), Lincecum (!!!!), Lopez (L), Mijares (L), Mota (R), Romo (R)
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

The Bench: Theriot (2b), Arias (IF), Sanchez (C), Huff (1b), Nady (OF)

Inactive, but staying with team:
Peguero (OF), Whiteside (C), Hensley (RHP), Machi (RHP), Wilson (DL), Sanchez (DL)
imageimageimageimageimageimage

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The media's Verlander obsession totally reminds me of the Cliff Lee lovefest from two years ago. The East Coast based media is so Yankeecentric that they truly believe whomever could shut down the Yankees must be superhuman and invincible. Cliff Lee did that then and before Game 1 everybody in the media was guaranteeing a win every time he touched the ball. The same people were left scratching their heads after he got lit up like Time Square Square after Game 1. They went into overdrive pulling their pants up trying to convince everybody that that outing was only a fluke. It was only after the Giants won the series they came to terms with what had happened.

This year they're doing it again with Verlander. Giants need to watch some film and make the according adjustments and not buy into that Verander infatuation craze. It's one game at a time. Win one game first, then the next one and so on.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is just the perception of people living west of the Mississippi River but there seems to be an attitude in the sports media in the USA that sports in the Rocky Mountain and Pacific time zones are not worthy of even the slightest of props (except of course the LA Lakers when that team is good enough to compete for the title with a big name marquee superstar on the roster).

Go Giants
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody on the planet or neighboring solar systems have better stuff then Justin Verlander. He is something like 46-16 during the past two seasons including the post season. With that being said he was beaten 9 times this year so he is far from a mortal lock to win. On any given day stuff happens

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    According to reporter Alex Pavlovic, "Bumgarner said mechanics issue at end of season left him feeling tired. Says he has found problem, feels better than he did in NLDS/NLCS."

If Madbum can get right again....

• Options
    Well, apparently Boch believes in Bumgarner. He's been named the Game 2 starter.

In SF:
    Game 1: Zito (4.00/1.382) vs Verlander (3.57/1.164)
    Game 2: Bumgarner (2.38/1.019)vs Fister (3.70/1.257)

In Detroit:
    Game 3: Vogelsong (3.87/1.259) vs Sanchez (3.47/1.294)
    Game 4: Cain (3.56/1.178) vs Scherzer (3.51/1.232)
    Game 5*: Zito (4.34/1.398) vs Verlander (1.65/0.942)

Game 6*: Bumgarner (2.38/1.019) vs Fister (3.70/1.257)
    Game 7*: Vogelsong (2.86/1.198) vs Sanchez (3.29/1.221)

Lincecum is being held in reserve as an emergency option in case someone starts getting blasted. Apparently Lincecum warms up really fast and has been solid out of the pin during this post-season.

Tigers are apparently are 26-25 vs lefty starters in general, so that might help.

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Love it!

Zito vs. Verlander. Verlander will be sooooooooo expected to win, and that expectation won't be lost on the Giants nor Zito.

Zito CAN beat Verlander, and IF that happens, the Giant's dugout will go total ape-$hit. Talk about fuel for a potential 7-game fire.
  • Options
    If the Tiger's lose tomorrow it won't be the end of the world for them. It takes four just like the Giants know all so well.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Hmm, there's some talk about adding Eli Whiteside to the roster to give Hector Sanchez an opportunity to DH in Detroit. The odd-man out would probably be Guillermo Mota, but he was pretty much worthless in his 3 appearances so far this post-season.

Eli Whiteside on the roster because we want to DH Sanchez? I guess the only other options would be to use Huff, Theriot, Nady, or put Arias at 3rd and DH Panda. (or reinstate Melky?)

No official word yet though.

• Options
    Official word: no changes to the roster. I've added my pictorial roster to the first post in this thread.

• Options
    I'm pretty nervous about tonight's game.

I'm not as worried about what the Giants will do vs Verlander as I am about which Barry Zito we'll see. Will we see the garbage Barry Zito we're used to seeing, or this new "big game" Zito who seems to appear out of thin air from time to time?

• Options
    The Tiger's have a habit of making all lefties look unhittable at times. Plus, they have have Delmon in left tonight with no DH. Tiger's fans sweat this the most. As you can see we have plenty to be worried about. I have already told myself not to get upset about anything that happens in this WS. It's not like I can change the outcome by sweating more

MJ
  • Options
    Game 1 lineup, via my rookie card collection.

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    I kinda like how it played out for the pitching rotation for the Giants.

and just freakin' 'cuz she is hot

• Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(1) vs Tigers (0), G1: Verlander shelled, Giants roll!

WOW. Apparently Pablo Sandoval is not impressed with Verlander's stuff. In 3 AB's against him, he's got a triple (AS Game) and 2 homers (today).

Zito, though he got the hook early, has had an incredible turn-around on the biggest stage of his Giants career. He even got an rbi single off Verlander!

Game 1 heroes:

PANDA! For becoming only the 4th player in MLB history to hit 3 homers in a World Series game (joining Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, and Albert Pujols).

ZITO! For ressurecting the "BEAR-REE!! BEAR-REE!!" chants at AT&T Park.
    imageimage

• Options
    Looks like Verlander got Kung Fu Panda'd. 1 game down, 3 to go.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like Verlander got Kung Fu Panda'd >>

Yes he did. MJ
  • Options
    A few notes...

- I'm a little surprised that after giving Zito the hook, Boch let Lincecum pitch 2.1 innings. Yeah, Lincecum chewed up the 7 guys he faced, but I thought it might be a good idea to keep Lincecum ready for tomorrow, just in case the Bumgarner experiment backfires. Then again, maybe Boch is just that confident in Bumgarner's "fixed mechanics" that he doesn't feel like he needs Timmy for tomorrow?

- Blanco's not hitting, but man, he's going to be a part of most of the defensive highlights from this season.

- The bottom of the Giants order, Pence, Belt, Blanco, and Crawford went a collective 0-15 with 1 walk (and a run scored). That's got to change.

- Valverde is a total mess.

- Kontos had a pretty bad outing, but I think I can cut him a little slack. Since he's both a rookie and on the biggest stage he's ever been on. Boch may have figured that Kontos needed to get this debut out of the way, so he let him make it with 1 out in the 9th in an 8-1 blowout.

- Zito has a base hit and an RBI vs Justin Verlander.

- Pablo's was the first 3 homer performance at AT&T Park by a Giant, ever.

Video of homers with FOX, KNBR (SF), and WXYT (Det) calls.

I hope the Giants generate a whole lot more awesome videos like this to watch over and over again. image

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    McCarver: Manilow! image

Buck: OMG. image

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>McCarver: Manilow! image
    image >>

That was funny as hell ... Friggin Buckethead (just look at the shape of Tim's head) is getting old!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>McCarver: Manilow! image
    image >>

That was funny as hell ... Friggin Buckethead (just look at the shape of Tim's head) is getting old! >>

i live for those moments, happens at least once a game with those two.....i betcha Joe Buck has realized just how lucky he is to have America's happiest bumpkin as a foil.

i totally get it Tim. i woulda said Gibb. image
  • Options
    I just said Panda Ball!
  • Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(1) vs Tigers (0), G2: Bumgarner vs Fister

Like yesterday, I'm more worried about what Bumgarner's going to do on the mound than what the Giants are going to do against the Tigers pitching.

I like MadBum, and he's got a promising future ahead. He's kinda like a lefty Matt Cain, but so far his body seems to be breaking down as the innings pile up. He's got 216.1 ip so far this season, which is already 2 innings more than he's ever had to pitch in his career. Boch says the issue was mechanical, and he obviously believes that Bum's fixed this mechanical issue since he burned his Lincecum-option last night.

In his last 2 post-season starts, Bum started out dealing then broke down by the 4th inning. I guess that's our measuring stick. If he can survive his 2nd turn through the Tigers lineup, then he might be ok.

Of course, if the Giants offense keeps rolling, it just might be able to absorb a "BadBum" start.

• Options
    Game 2 lineup, via my rookie card collection.

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Hmm, Boch says that while he doesn't really want to use Lincecum today, he's available in case of emergency.

Lincecum the relief pitcher. image

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Cokcroaches 1

Raid 0
  • Options
    Madbum, please be good today. Please?

• Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(2) vs Tigers (0), G2: Bumgarner's mechanical fix worked, wins nail-biting pitching duel.

So, I guess Bruce Bochy and the Giants' coaching staff know what they're talking about when they said that MadBum had fixed his mechanical issues.

Rags: "Here's your problem!" *removes an actual turd from Bum's delivery*
    Bum: "Thank's coach!" *pitches 7 ip shutout innings*

A nail-biter for sure. While Bum did indeed dominate, he got a lot of help from excellent defense, his own, Crawford just being awesome, Blanco making plays, and Scutaro gunning down Fielder at the plate.

Is it just me, or did it seem like Fister actually got BETTER after getting that ball off the head?

The offense was pretty much dead, but they got enough.

Heroes

MADBUM! He dominated. 7 ip, 2 hits, 2 walks, 0 runs, 8 strikeouts.
    Hunter! He managed to be at the center of the meager offense that the Giants mustered up by simply getting on base (and scoring later) and his sac-fly to score an insurance run.

imageimage

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That shot off the head had to hurt.......that ball was crushed!!
  • Options
    Well, before the game we weren't sure about MadBum. I guess we know now. His mechanical issues were fixed and he's turned in to a Roy Halladayesque cyborg. Either that or the Tigers are helpless against lefties.

A very 2011 type win tonight but a win's a win.
  • Options
    when do i get my free taco?
  • Options

<< <i>when do i get my free taco? >>

You just need to turn up at participating Taco Bell on Tuesday Oct. 30 between 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to get your free taco.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    my small intestine just winced. imageimage
  • Options
    I forgot, the other hero of the game was:

ANGEL! He got everyone in America a free taco!

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Loving this so far! Feels like 2010 again!

Go Giants!

Robert
  • Options
    Giant still have a test ahead of them in A. Sanchez and Scherzer.

Game 3: Vogelsong (3.87/1.259) vs Sanchez (3.47/1.294)

Sanchez pretty much owns the Giants when at AT&T Park, but that ownage didn't work in Miami earlier this year. Whether his ownage can work in Detroit will be seen.

Scherzer's a strikeout artists, and while the Giants rank 5th in the majors in fewest strikeouts by an offense, Hunter Pence is a strikeout machine.

Still, the guys we WOULD have used as a #1 and #2 pitchers are going this weekend. Their averages haven't been awesome on the road, but this post-season has been full of jaw dropping performances by our pitching staff, both at home and on the road.

• Options
    Ever since Annibal Sanchez went to Detroit he hasn't been the same as he was in Miami. He doesn't really concern me. The Giants should remember the Annibal from earlier this year and not the Marlins version from years past.

If the Giants pull off Game 3, for Game 4 do you think the Tigers would go with the chosen one on short rest over Scherzer?
  • Options

<< <i>Ever since Annibal Sanchez went to Detroit he hasn't been the same as he was in Miami. He doesn't really concern me. The Giants should remember the Annibal from earlier this year and not the Marlins version from years past. >>

Don't forget that the Giants faced Sanchez twice this year..

5/3 in SF: 7 ip, 1 run, win.
    5/24 in MIA: 5.1 ip, 5 runs, loss.

If Sanchez gets turned into a non-factor, then we just need to worry about the Voggy magic wearing off.

<< <i>If the Giants pull off Game 3, for Game 4 do you think the Tigers would go with the chosen one on short rest over Scherzer? >>

Not sure. Verlander was out-of-whack in Game 1. Seems risky to toss him out there on short rest with the season on the line. Then again, the dude did win the Cy Young and MVP last year, so maybe.

And maybe Panda can continue his rampage.

A Tiger fan's view of the Panda...

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Ever since Annibal Sanchez went to Detroit he hasn't been the same as he was in Miami. >>

Sanchez is, more or less the same pitcher that he was in Florida , . Look at the stats. Like just about any other rational person I think the Giants will win the series, but let's not just start making stuff up.

• Options
    Also, Sanchez has been pitching well as of late. In his last four starts, he has given up three earned runs (28 2/3 innings).
  • Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(2) vs Tigers (0), G3: Vogelsong vs Sanchez

I'm going to miss most of today's game due to taking my kids going to a Halloween party. Maybe someone will have a radio with the game on?

• Options
    Game 3 lineup, via my rookie card collection.

Hector in as the DH, pushes Craw back to 9th.

imageimageimageimage

Giants are facing a pitcher they've had difficulty against in the past. Voggy's locked in, but his wretched 7 game stretch is still fresh in my mind. Though, in his 6 games since the end of that slump, he's given up exactly 1 run per game.

After seeing the Giants win 3 straight elimination games in the NLDS, then come back from the brink again to win 3 straight in the NLCS, I can say that they've proved to me one thing:

No team can be counted on to lay down and die before the final out is made.

The Giants have looked awesome, and they've looked pathetic this post-season. They're on a roll right now with 5 straight wins. Can they keep it up?

• Options
    Looks like Posey's continuing to rake in the hardware. He's just been announced as the NL's 2012 Hank Aaron Award winner. Miguel Cabrera won the AL award.

• Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(3) vs Tigers (0), G3: Tigers blanked again, Voggy + defense continue the stranglehold

Once again, the Giants pitching staff stepped up and threw another 9 zeros up on the scoreboard. This time, Vogelsong. Flirting with disaster all night long, just to pull a Houdini act and get away without a scratch.

Giants offense hasn't been lighting up the scoreboard either, with it's second 2-0 win in a row, but the defense has been virtually flawless.

Today's heroes:

Voggy! Played with matches, didn't get burned. Continued the Giants' trend of domination from the mound.

Blanco! Drove in the first and winning run, plays elite left field.

imageimage

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    What can we say? The Tigers of mid-April thru August showed up for this series. The same Tigers that had everyone in fits as they were struggling to win two in a row for over a month, then eventually climb to .500 late in the season. Thanks to the awkward playoff setup this year, I am not fully convinced the best AL team won. To all fans of baseball: I am sorry the World Series has been so lackluster thanks to my rotten team. Looks like the whole baseball nation gets to see what we in Detroit have been screwing with all season. I am a (semi) season ticket holder (28gamer). Been to 30 games total and they lost 20 of them. Didn't even bother with my postseason priority..... Oh well, congrats SF on another title, and probably a Superbowl too!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to miss most of today's game due to taking my kids going to a Halloween party. Maybe someone will have a radio with the game on? >>

You weren't the only one missing the game. I had a flight to catch tonight. I caught the first inning then ran off the plane at SFO to try to catch the very end. I ended up missing the last pitch by about 20 seconds but stuck around to watch the highlights. Not getting the chance to watch tonight's game, especially the 5th inning, probably stayed off an ulcer.

The folks in Detroit are starting to call Prince Fielder "fat A-Rod". Cabrera and Fielder have been very quiet for the Tigers but are still dangerous. After winning the NLCS MVP, Scutaro is quieter than expected as is Posey. Especially with his defensive play, Blanco is making a strong case to be part of the team's future.

We're in the home stretch with the finish line in sight.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Good Bye Legendary Lloyd!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    2012 World Series - Giants(3) vs Tigers (0), G4: Cain vs Scherzer

And once again, the Giants hand the ball to their ace, Matt Cain, to face an opponent on the brink.

Tigers are slumping, but a slump is only as deep as the opposing pitching is good, so if Cain isn't sharp, boom.

So come on Cain, FINISH THEM!!

• Options
    Game 4 lineup, via my rookie card collection.

Hector out, Theriot (!??!!) in as DH. Boch says that he likes Theriot's ABs vs righties.

imageimageimageimage

• Options

In the post-season, Scherzer has pitched in 2 games, going a combined 11 innings and giving up just 2 runs.
    Vs Oak: 5.1 ip, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 8 so
    vs NYY: 5.2 ip, 2 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 10 so

Cain's pitched in 4 post-season games so far, going 23 innings and giving up 9 total runs.

vs CIN: 5 ip, 5 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, 4 so (2 hr)
    vs CIN: 5.2 ip, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, 5 so (1 hr)
    vs STL: 6.2 ip, 6 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, 2 so (1 hr)
    vs STL: 5.2 ip, 5 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 4 so

So, you've got Cain who's had a bit of a long-ball problem, and Scherzer who strikes dudes out.

It'll be interesting to see what we end up with.

A Tiger win today will bring back an angry Verlander on normal rest for revenge. A Tiger win tomorrow results in the series going back to SF where Fister (who the Giants struggled against) and Sanchez (who owns AT&T Park) would get second chances.

I say, end it today Cain. Make the flight to SF the "Victory Flight!"

• Options
    CONGRATS DIGI! SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug