Home Precious Metals
Options

$32** floor $35** ceiling?

2»

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And another thing, if you think $27 to $35 is a good move after QE-indefinite being implemented, you have very low expectations. >>

You need to ask yourself, what on Earth does QE3 have anything to do with the price of PM's? The previous 2 QE's did not have a direct impact on PM's. PM's will do their move when the supply falls short of the demand and basic economics will determine the price. No conspiracy or manipulation, just economics 101.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what on Earth does QE3 have anything to do with the price of PM's?

And that's the crux of the matter. If one doesn't want to take the time to understand what causes inflation, and what happens when monetized debt is done for the sole purpose of keeping insolvent banks from folding and why they were insolvent in the first place, then there's not much chance of explaining to someone why silver will go up as the dollar goes down when all of these excess bank reserves actually make it into the economy, if zirp is ever reversed and if terrified businesses and savers ever decide to let go of their cash.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    A 30% move would be deemed a great move by most sane traders and stackers alike. You could make a fortune on that one move. MJ
    Really? How many here did? image

Agreed it is hard to pick up any implied sarcasm or "tongue in cheek" comments when they could easily be one's actual sentiments. That's what the winky or tongue poking out smiley faces are for.
    FWIW, a good part of the frustration towards you on this board is due to others taking your previous comments at face value, then you defending yourself by saying that was just tongue in cheek or whatever. To us it just looks like backtracking.

Duly noted, that's why I addressed it. Looking at it objectively I can see how things said could be perceived differently that was was genuinely in the posters heart/mind. Now if I start using the icons, someone will say "enough with the icons, say what you mean"...right? image Sorry, couldn't resist image oh, I did it again image Now I'm just being a smart arse, right?

The previous 2 QE's did not have a direct impact on PM's

Really??? Let me ask you you something OPA. Is OPA another planet you live on, because here on Earth, the first 2 QE's had the most direct influence on what pm's did in decades. And thosae had specific timeframes on them. So with that said, is the reason pm's are falling now because QE3 does not have a timeframe on it and that is too unsettling for some to handle, so they sell due to that uncertainty? No, it couldn't be that simple, could it?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>A 30% move would be deemed a great move by most sane traders and stackers alike. You could make a fortune on that one move. MJ
    Really? How many here did? image

Agreed it is hard to pick up any implied sarcasm or "tongue in cheek" comments when they could easily be one's actual sentiments. That's what the winky or tongue poking out smiley faces are for.
    FWIW, a good part of the frustration towards you on this board is due to others taking your previous comments at face value, then you defending yourself by saying that was just tongue in cheek or whatever. To us it just looks like backtracking.

Duly noted, that's why I addressed it. Looking at it objectively I can see how things said could be perceived differently that was was genuinely in the posters heart/mind. Now if I start using the icons, someone will say "enough with the icons, say what you mean"...right? image Sorry, couldn't resist image oh, I did it again image Now I'm just being a smart arse, right?

The previous 2 QE's did not have a direct impact on PM's

Really??? Let me ask you you something OPA. Is OPA another planet you live on, because here on Earth, the first 2 QE's had the most direct influence on what pm's did in decades. And thosae had specific timeframes on them. So with that said, is the reason pm's are falling now because QE3 does not have a timeframe on it and that is too unsettling for some to handle, so they sell due to that uncertainty? No, it couldn't be that simple, could it? >>

Really? Since you imply that I'm not from this planet, would you please be kind enough to translate the above into English! FYI, there are many sub or secondary categories in the Supply & Demand equation, with the Supply & Demand as being the primary. The last 2 major run ups were based on "demand" fueled by speculators. And of course the opposite occurred when silver dropped by 50%.(supply exceeded demand) All implied moves in PM's, regardless whether they are triggered by politics, i.e QE or regional imbalances, are subject to the Supply & Demand equation. True with any commodity or product. Once the speculators return or the demand exceeds the supply by whatever means available, (electronic or physical) PM's will rise again, it's only a matter of time. Pendulums swing back & forth. Regrettably, no one on "my Planet," unlike yours, can with 100% certainty, accurately predict the future of PM's.
  • Options
    The last 2 major run ups were based on "demand" fueled by speculators

And what was the cause of the new found demand? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a Q.

OPA, you make very valid points and I hope that you know that I respect your insight. There I said it, as I respect the insight of everyone here...we're just giving our take on the matter. I apologize for coming off brash, that wasn't right of me to do, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any way to find out what spot prices are right now. Coinflation prices show the last prices I suppose as the market closed for the weekend.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    Is there any way to find out what spot prices are right now. Coinflation prices show the last prices I suppose as the market closed for the weekend.

As far as I know, no. Overseas markets open up at 5 PM CT on Sunday nights, until then it's a "make your own market" market imo
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what on Earth does QE3 have anything to do with the price of PM's?

And that's the crux of the matter. If one doesn't want to take the time to understand what causes inflation, and what happens when monetized debt is done for the sole purpose of keeping insolvent banks from folding and why they were insolvent in the first place, then there's not much chance of explaining to someone why silver will go up as the dollar goes down when all of these excess bank reserves actually make it into the economy, if zirp is ever reversed and if terrified businesses and savers ever decide to let go of their cash. >>

The Japanese have been monetizing debt for 20 years with nary a wiff of inflation. Why should the Fed's experiment yield a different result?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Japanese have been monetizing debt for 20 years with nary a wiff of inflation. Why should the Fed's experiment yield a different result? >>

Because the yen's strength is not dependent on it having world reserve currency status and the resulting world-wide demand for the currency. The growing loss of this demand will contribute significantly to the US dollar's value. As it loses value it will take more dollars to buy the same goods (price inflation). It is the FED's experiments that have directly caused foreign trading partners to lose faith in holding US dollars for required trade needs. The fact that they are finally succeeding in bypassing this dollar need speaks volumes for the waning ability of the US/FED to force it upon them. The declining world-wide role of the US dollar will contribute greatly to its loss of strength and its buying power at home. Loss of buying power results in price inflation.

Adding fuel to the US inflation fire is the return of all those US dollars to the US. As foreign nations wean themselves from them they have nowhere to go but home, increasing the money supply in the US. More dollars, less each will buy. Less buying power is price inflation.

History will show that loss of the dollar's world reserve currency status will have had more negative impact on the US economy than all of the QEs and failed FED policies combined. History will also show that those who traded dollars for precious metals made a wise decision.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

<< <i>And what was the cause of the new found demand? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a Q. >>

For once we agree on a plausible cause...however, as I explained, there numerous sub category's for each primary one ...and Q is a sub category of DEMAND, along with numerous other factors that influences the price in PM's. (fear, historical high purchases, production problems, speculators looking for an easy kill..just to name a few) Q is or was just one of many that influenced the price, but not the only or primary one.
  • Options
    The growing loss of this demand

Big assumption, no?

History will show that loss of the dollar's world reserve currency status will have had more negative impact on the US economy than all of the QEs and failed FED policies combined. History will also show that those who traded dollars for precious metals made a wise decision.

History is strewn with those who have thought they could foretell history. Cant really think of anyone who has done so successfully.

• Options

<< <i>The growing loss of this demand

Big assumption, no? >>

It's fairly obvious the petrodollar is fading. It's reduced need for international trade weakens demand for it.

• Options
    Pendulums swing back & forth. Regrettably, no one on "my Planet," unlike yours, can with 100% certainty, accurately predict the future of PM's.

I am not claiming to know or predict the future, just saying that I called the top 1.5 months ago here after several failed attempts to break out. I counted 7 tries.
    If you think I'm pounding my chest because I have been right in doing so so far, I'm not, refer to my sig. line as evidence.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The growing loss of this demand

Big assumption, no? >>

It's fairly obvious the petrodollar is fading. It's reduced need for international trade weakens demand for it. >>

Please show me the obvious. And please dont mention Iran or any other 3rd world country not using the dollar. Please show me that demand for US dollars has declined. And please cite some real statistics that can be substantiated by someone other than a blogger.

Please show me the fading dollar cuz I cant see it.

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Can't make a blind man see.

11 International Agreements That Are Nails In The Coffin Of The Petrodollar >>

Like I thought. No statistical proof. I wanna see actual demand for dollars dropping. And I thought I said not to mention Iran, other 3rd world countries, or some blogosphere.

Please show me where the balance of trade in US dollars among the worlds greatest economies is shifting away from the US dollar. You cant, because it isnt happening. Global demand for US dollars increases EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If you wish to discuss all "11 reasons" I would be more than happy to participate.

• Options
    like I said, can't make a blind man see. The linked "blog" provides reputable sources for its 11 reasons. Sorry that MSNBC refuses to confirm it for you.

• Options
    derryb, with all due respect. A few courses in global monetary and economic policy would treat you well.

Please show me a stat that shows global demand for US dollars is declining. I want to see some numbers, not supposed quotes from Putin or the China Daily News (your reputable sources? LMAO!!)

• Options
    You fail to mention that the link's reputable sources also include CNN, the BBC, Boomberg and the WSJ. Like most everything else, we will just have to disagree on the future of the demand for dollars for use in international trade.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "For those who will understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who won't, no explanation is sufficient", isn't that true... Both of you image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    dberry is correct...... but I think it will take 20 years to really hurt thing.

cohodk - The British still think the pound is a reserve currency also. image

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree the dollar is stronger then most currencies I think most people are losing faith in all currencies.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>Please show me a stat that shows global demand for US dollars is declining. I want to see some numbers >>

While less reputable than many bloggers, see if this helps:
    Treasury Dept. 2012 Q4 Report, see pgs. 34, 35, 37 and 38

• Options
    I'll take a look. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I agree the dollar is stronger then most currencies I think most people are losing faith in all currencies. >>

What currencies is the dollar strong against? I can't think of any

not the yen
    not the swiss
    not the cando
    not the aussie
    not even the euro

We are just getting used to it floundering in this range. It really hasn't done much recenty and for the time being is relatively range bound

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keep in mind that most central banks currently prefer a weaker home currency in an effort to attack trade imbalances and increase foreign demand for goods and services.

• Options
    I believe today marks the 3rd attempt to break away from the $32.50 silver barrier.
    It could not break the $35.50 barrier after 7 attempts, so let's see if it can break thru this first wall and have an 8th attempt at it within a reasonable amount of time, like not the next 45 years image
    I'll never live that down even though it was said sarcastically, will I?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like not the next 45 years image
    I'll never live that down even though it was said sarcastically, will I? >>

Not unless you outlive us all. Start eating right and getting plenty of exercise.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    P-Me, keep us posted on when you sell silver. image

• Options

<< <i>P-Me, keep us posted on when you sell silver. image >>

Look no furtherimage

BST
  • Options
    P-Me, keep us posted on when you sell silver

Let's put it this way. All of what is pictured was purchased with profits from selling generic .999 & 90% mostly locally (no shipping to worry about).
    One could say that because it was all purchased with profits, that it's all free silver. I dont view it that way, but I could see how someone would.
    How am I doing for being a small-time nobody that simply loves the hobby and the art of negotiation?

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭
    The death march was only good for +5.5% the last week.
  • Options
    You guys just don't get it. I'm done trying to explain a simple way of looking at something to closed minded people. It's become a waste of my time.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭
    We obviously disagree, Rich. If that's the definition of close-minded, well then I guess you're right.

You think silver is going down and have said so right here, in very clear terms. Fine. I personally think silver is a good long term investment and will increase in value from it's present level.

• Options

<< <i>How am I doing for being a small-time nobody that simply loves the hobby and the art of negotiation? >>

I must admit, not bad for a small time self promoting hustler.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys just don't get it. I'm done trying to explain a simple way of looking at something to closed minded people. It's become a waste of my time. >>

POM: Silver on it's current death march...My honest to God gut feeling and can't see how it could be denied.

or, 'I would rather be an optimist and a fool, than a pessimist and right'

Q: Can you be both, at the same time, or can you just be "honest to God" confused by your own "sarcasm"?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    must admit, not bad for a small time self promoting hustler

I expect nothing less than this kind of back-handed compliment from someone who has never even inquired about anything I've offered, and probably never even asked about what kind of person I am to do business with.

We obviously disagree, Rich. If that's the definition of close-minded, well then I guess you're right
    You think silver is going down and have said so right here, in very clear terms. Fine. I personally think silver is a good long term investment and will increase in value from it's present level

Once again, wrong interpretation, but I've come to expect this as well. If I was so down on silver, why would I have added what I did in the picture posted recently?
    This is the absolute last time I am going to explain my approach on what silver is doing and where it's going.
    I buy, to sell, to buy things I really want, like what is shown in the picture. Those were all bought with absolute profit from selling lesser premium silver.

My stance, or view of what SPOT (paper) silver is going to do changes weekly, sometimes daily, because I follow it that closely in order to trade the paper part of it, not the physical part of it. I also agree that silver is a good long term investment from a physical point of view. As far as the paper side of it, I am "open minded" enough to consider to change my view of it daily, yes daily.
    I don't think I can explain this any more clearly, and to be honest I am baffled how such competent people could be so unable to comprehend what I am saying.
    I'll say it again one last time...I BUY, TO SELL, TO BUY How does that make me a bad guy who wants to look at the short term AND long term view of the metal? I really don't think it does if one is being honest with themself in looking at it from an outside perspective. But go right ahead and think of me what you will, as I do of others.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the strange picture you've made your avatar can't be helping public perception

but, fwiw, I once said on here that the world wasn't ending and my life doesn't revolve around metals, and I've never shaken the rep as a heretic because of it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>must admit, not bad for a small time self promoting hustler
    I expect nothing less than this kind of back-handed compliment from someone who has never even inquired about anything I've offered, and probably never even asked about what kind of person I am to do business with. >>

POM...here you go again with another one of your paranoid responses. Suggest you look up hustler in your dictionary......"an enterprising person determined to succeed; go-getter."
  • Options

<< <i>the strange picture you've made your avatar can't be helping public perception

but, fwiw, I once said on here that the world wasn't ending and my life doesn't revolve around metals, and I've never shaken the rep as a heretic because of it. >>

Not in my book, you and cohodk remain level headed when many of us loose our wits.

• Options
    POM...here you go again with another one of your paranoid responses.

Coming from you OPA, I've learned to read between the lines. I know better image
  • Options
    Additional profit taking because of tax rate hikes the first of the year will add some drag to any metal (and equity) strength between now and then.

• Options
    Additional profit taking because of tax rate hikes the first of the year will add some drag to any metal (and equity) strength between now and then

So you're totally writing off the possibility that something will actually get done in this 55th or so minute of the 11th hour?
  • Options

<< <i>Additional profit taking because of tax rate hikes the first of the year will add some drag to any metal (and equity) strength between now and then

So you're totally writing off the possibility that something will actually get done in this 55th or so minute of the 11th hour? >>

My statement is based on current tax law. Any discussion on changing that law will only become political. Lets not go there.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Additional profit taking because of tax rate hikes the first of the year will add some drag to any metal (and equity) strength between now and then

So you're totally writing off the possibility that something will actually get done in this 55th or so minute of the 11th hour? >>

I would.

What's going to get done is exactly what you think is going to get done and everyone has expected to get done for a long time - nothing but the same but faster. There is no exception. We went from millions to trillions pretty damn quick. DC can't stop spending or increasing spending, one way or the other now, it's in perpetual. There is no fix for that, no empire ever could.