Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will be your next coin purchase?

For me I will go after a 1914-S Barber quarter or a scarcer Buffalo nickel like say a 1921-S either in F-12 if that is grade is available when I get the buyers bug.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered several "P" mint rolls of presidential dollars for a guy and his woman. They're filling up albums for their kids. Who knows what's next ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoin

Nice gotta love it when kids get involved!!!
  • Options

<< <i>TwoSides2aCoin

Nice gotta love it when kids get involved!!! >>

Thanks Matrix, but here's the story :
    This fellow and his woman are older. Their kids will likely inherit the albums and probably take them right to a shop and sell them without appreciating the work involved in doing this, when that time comes.

Now the original question is a good one. Let's see who has what on their "WANT" list image
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Well, it will be from the following general groups:

Capped Bust

Seated Liberty

Large Copper

1/2 cent

Building a problem free, circulated Type Set......so...one of the above will be in my sights next. image
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoin

Do you know those people....people are NOT all the same!! Some have more respect and more passion...and some do not. Putting people all in the same boat is not having fate in humankind and those of us that do good....or try to at least.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice "Type" Doily . . . . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    Matrix, of course I know them and we are friends. And we even know what the kids (who are in their forties) will do with the coins. That's why he sold his california gold collection and currency for tens of thousands of dollars. He said the kids wouldn't appreciate it or know how to sell it. So , he built his collection, offered it to me for several thousand dollars and I could not beat a bidder out of NY.

But we are friends, only because the other dealers in town weren't as friendly. (boy do i have him fooled )
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoin

Ah that is a shame then!!!
  • Options

<< <i>TwoSides2aCoin

Ah that is a shame then!!! >>

Your thread is becoming a shame. Your focus is off.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1907 $20 High Relief in MS63 or better.
  • Options
    My next purchase will be a ten dollar gold indian for a collector who is having me put together a gold type set.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    If history is any indication, a colorful Morgan toner.

My appreciation of $10 Indians is growing, though!
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, that's good though as I would get pretty bored if I could just make a list and go buy them as money allowed.
  • Options
    I love the gold coins as well but to expensive for me at the moment in my life maybe one day I will be able to get a few nice ones or just one really nice one.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hunch it is going to be an 1878-P 7/8 Tailfeathers Weak VAM 44 Morgan.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw a members listing of a gold coin that I hope we can make a deal on when he gets home from the show.
    Not saying any more as it is rather nice and the wolves hide in the bushes around here.

Edit to add he got home and says it was a good show and guess what we worked the deal
    Stealing his image to share.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to bet it's a Barber for me. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My next purchase will be a little while down the road.
    Tuesday we start a complete rebuild of the master bathroom upstairs (way, WAY long over due).

All my planned coin money for adding a new cc dime from the early 70s is going to improving the reading room.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a hunch it is going to be an 1878-P 7/8 Tailfeathers Weak VAM 44 Morgan. >>

Good Luck on your King of Vams. I saw that coin. Very nice.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options

<< <i>I have a hunch it is going to be an 1878-P 7/8 Tailfeathers Weak VAM 44 Morgan. >>

Or an 1879-O over horizontal O VAM 28 Morgan R-6.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the basics for me! An 1876 CC dime in VG-F.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    My first would be a...

1933 $20 Double Eagle

or

1792 Half Disme UNC

or

1785 BAR Copper

or

anything else that catches my eye image
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to bet it's a Barber for me. image >>

image.........two for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will probably be simple bullion to replace some I had to sell to make a tax payment. image

The next numismatic purchase will hopefully be a 1700s Heraldic Reverse Dollar.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I doubt that it will be next (since I've been searching for awhile now), but I need a CC Trade Dollar in Green Label AU 50 or above, for my Green Label Carson City Type Set.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgrade to my territorial type set - likely a Bechtler.

Unless a sample or doily comes available first. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Unless I find something earlier for a great deal it will likely be a 1839 Large Cent (or more than one-I need all varities).
    Looking for Northern California National Bank Notes, Chico, Redding, Oroville.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Good Luck on your King of Vams. I saw that coin. Very nice. >>

Umm... I seriously doubt that anyone knows which example I'm talking about, and I have no idea which one you're talking about. My likely acquisition will be via private party.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1901 25c in PCGS F-12 image >>

you meant PR 67 CAM - right ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RYK

Hahahaha good one!!! You can have my VG-08 if I find the F-12 before you....lolllll The chase is on!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good Luck on your King of Vams. I saw that coin. Very nice. >>

Umm... I seriously doubt that anyone knows which example I'm talking about, and I have no idea which one you're talking about. My likely acquisition will be via private party. >>

You mean the Tripled Blossoms and leaves in Liberty's headdress,and the reverse with doubled legs and an extra 5 small tailfeathers. Is that the one you mean?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got 8 Morgan dollars on my want list. Might be able to do two a year for several and then one every couple of years for the remainder.

• Options
    Nice to see everyone has some long term goals!!! If I could land one of those 1793 Strawberry cents that would make my decade or century worth while!!!
  • Options

Ah let me think on that one. OK I looked at what I am bidding on at eBay and it's
    like a dozen 1879 S Morgans so I will have to say a 1879 S Morgan. image

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my dreams....if I "hit the lottery". .... This Sommer Islands Sixpence in the C4 Stacks auction. ....image
  • Options
    ambro51

Even if it has corrosion?? How much is a coin like that go for and how many exist?
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I'm ready to cross a nice $10 indian off my wish list.I just need to find the right one.I'm looking for a lusterous coin without alot of chatter.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if it has corrosion?? How much is a coin like that go for and how many exist? >>

. I hope you're sitting down. I'm guessing about 40-60k for that piece. About 20 exist but half or better are owned by Bermuda and in Museums. Corrosion exists on at least 75% of all known Somer Islands coinage. This piece last sold in the 1983 Roper Sale Breen gives a good analysis in chemical terms how the silver wash on the brass planchet in high salinity soil will self-corrode. Only a bare few of these coins spent their life "above ground". In 1875 Crosby knew of only one sixpence...
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 1794 large cent. They're like potato chips---can't eat just one.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ambro51

Very nice story to it!!! There is such a token in Canada I have been trying to locate for about 5 years...one came up but had corrosion and it sold for about 20 000$...there are about 10 known. I think one is in the currency museum here in Canada. It is called the Owen Ropery token from Montreal. It is the #1 token here in Canada. We also have a lot of rare ones the price have been going up like crazy in the last 2 years.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly do not know.

Most likely, the next coin I purchase, I don't even know exists as of right now.

This is one of the main reasons that I love error coin collecting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another nice bust half for me would do. a second would be a half cent. we shall see image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a strong suspicion that it will be a No Motto New Orleans $10 in PC 58.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an eye on a w/m SF half eagle that would be the single most expensive coin in my set, should the deal go through.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something in early gold type for me. Or possibly a new pattern that I'm tracking.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is mine. For a type set Im building!

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    have a strong suspicion that it will be a No Motto New Orleans $10 in PC 58.

Hope you nailed it because it's probably already gone!
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I just bought it in the last few minutes! A 1909-O 25c PCGS VF25 for what I thought that was a fair price.
    Derek

EAC 6024

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file