Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1938 Goudey Joe Dimaggio

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1938 Goudey Joe Dimaggio graded PSA 7 for $4200. I am seriously considering it

In the expert's opinions, where does this card stack in the undervalued category? Considering his legendary status and ridiculous rarity, it feels like a bargain compared to some of the other Yankee great rookie cards
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    You never stated what version this was....card #250 or card #274.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, #274 is more desirable. For what it's worth, SMR on #274 in PSA 7 is $5,250 and on #250 is $4,900. Don't know about VCP.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• remember centering is number 1 thing when it comes to vintage. make sure itsbetter then 60/ 40 centering and no tilts what so ever. cards with tilts are worthless to me
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Anyone mind posting some scans of his gaudy cards? What's considered his rookie? The play ball or goudey?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • the goudeys are considerd his main stream rookie cards
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    So you said in another thread . . . image
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I personally prefer the Playball; just a more serious looking card with gorgeous coloring. His V355 also has mad flavor with his simple mugshot and "deadpan Joe" on the back.
  • scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    My lowly PSA 2 (my favorite DiMaggio card) and current placeholder in my HOF collection.

• Great looking PSA 2, Guys were do you find these stunners?
  • The '38 Goudey DiMaggio is one of my favorite baseball cards, and definitely ranks among the more important in the hobby, whether it's #250 or #274. The #274 is more "popular," but my experience has been that (despite what the pop reports say), high-grade #250s are tougher to find.

Either way, $4200 is an excellent price, IMO - probably in line with where the market is today because it's a thinly-traded set, but high-grade '38 Goudeys are really tough cards (especially strong 7s).

I'd go for it. You'll always be able to recoup that investment for a strong 7.

-Al
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys, it's #250. It sure looks like a beautiful 7. I wonder what makes an 8. I think I am going to get it and I'll post a scan ASAP. I might also consider sending it in for a re-grade. I'd like to get your guy's opinions. No tilt that I can see
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase

<< <i>The '38 Goudey DiMaggio is one of my favorite baseball cards, and definitely ranks among the more important in the hobby, whether it's #250 or #274. The #274 is more "popular," but my experience has been that (despite what the pop reports say), high-grade #250s are tougher to find.

Either way, $4200 is an excellent price, IMO - probably in line with where the market is today because it's a thinly-traded set, but high-grade '38 Goudeys are really tough cards (especially strong 7s).

I'd go for it. You'll always be able to recoup that investment for a strong 7.

-Al >>

I appreciate the reply. Why do you think it's such a thinly traded set? Joe Dimaggio is right there with Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle in the legendary status. It just seems to me that this baseball card is never talked about as being special, unique, or important to the hobby. But for God's sake, it's Joe Dimaggio! You know, Marily Monroe, Mrs. Robinson, 56 games. Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio? A nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Actually, it's not the most attractive looking card or set. A cartoon drawing with a pretty goofy looking head shot of Dimaggio...wonder if that plays into it
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Actually, it's not the most attractive looking card or set. A cartoon drawing with a pretty goofy looking head shot of Dimaggio...wonder if that plays into it >>

Yes! But still a nice card of a great player.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    No doubt it's a major card-- and IMO all DiMaggio cards should command way more. The man is a legendary HOFer whose notoriety crosses over beyond the ballfield, into popular culture.

• << <i> Why do you think it's such a thinly traded set? >>

I think part of the reason is scarcity. The cards are not easy, especially in high grade.

Another part of the reason is that the set is weird. Just 24 cards, repeated twice with slightly modified art. So many of the stars of the era - Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Carl Hubbell, Mel Ott, Al Simmons, etc. - are not represented. I've got some theories on why this is, but the fact remains that you can't get a '38 Goudey Ted Williams.

Most importantly, if you want to complete the set, you've got to essentially buy each card twice. Why do that when you can dig into, say, a '34 Goudey set and get two beautiful Gehrigs? A lot of people just choose to do half the set, and leave it at that.

Still, a '38 Goudey DiMaggio is one of those cards that transcends all this. It's an enormous card, one of the more iconic in the hobby. Due to the timing of DiMaggio's career, along with his 1941 Playball and Double Play, and '51 Berk Ross, it's one of the few "mainstream" cards that you can get from his playing days. There are lots of DiMaggio premiums, a few super-expensive, tough-to-obtain cards like his '33 Zeenut or his '37 World Wide Gum, regionals like Bond Bread, and weird cards like his '43 MP & Co.

If you want a single-player DiMaggio from his playing days that won't break the bank, '38 Goudey and '41 Playball are the way to go, IMO, and '38 Goudey is just a great, great card.

-Al
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    No love for his '49 Leaf Al? I know you are fixated on MP & P's, but the Leaf is a nice card of him and one of the few late career examples.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a bad buy at that price, but IMO the cards that have the greatest potential for gains are his 1936 and 1937 issues.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Good point, Griffins - forgot all about that Leaf. An excellent card. A mutual acquaintance of ours offered me that card in 4 years ago, but it was a very sharp 4 - he wouldn't take less than SMR for a PSA 7, so I had to pass. I've never owned one, which is probably why I'd forgotten about it. image

Clockwork Angel: $4200 for a #250 in 7 is an excellent price. If someone offered me $4200 for my 6, I would not take it. I paid $3500 for a 5 maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

-Al
    Wow, interesting. I think I may need to pick this bad boy up. I mean it's Joe Freakin' Dimaggio!

• << <i>Another part of the reason is that the set is weird. Just 24 cards, repeated twice with slightly modified art. So many of the stars of the era - Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Carl Hubbell, Mel Ott, Al Simmons, etc. - are not represented. I've got some theories on why this is, but the fact remains that you can't get a '38 Goudey Ted Williams. >>

Hate to be a stickler, but Ted Williams was not playing Major League Baseball in 1938, hence his not being in the '38 Goudey set. Of course, this in no way explains why Gehrig & others weren't in it. I've always liked this set; the design is very distinctive. I'd love to have a '38 G DiMaggio in my collection.

One thing to consider with DiMaggio (and a lot of other guys from that era) is the stop in play they had due to WW2. DiMaggio was a much different ball player when he returned, and if I had to pick a DiMaggio card for my collection I personally would want it to be from the first half of his career (when he was at his peak) vs. the 2nd half.
    Thanks for the feedback guys....

Here it is!

">Text
    I mean...here it is!

">Text
    Well, I'm getting error message galore and can't edit anything. Technical difficulties. I'll post a picture if and when the web site allows it. Sorry for the duplicate posts

• I don't understand how this is considered his rookie when he has numerous 1936 issues
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    This thread made me work a deal for this lowly 2. Undergraded by my eye. I have a new appreciation for these 38G cards now that I have one. I actually like the very simple, almost childlike design.

Will patiently wait for a nice low grade 36' WWG to come along, as I consider that his true rookie.
  • Many dont consider it his rookie (I dont) , its a great card thou, here are a few more early Dimaggio-

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, 1936 World Wide Gum is DiMaggio's true rookie "card". Here's an example for those who aren't familiar:

'36 Joe D RC

DiMaggio has Zeenut minor league issues, but the '36 WWG is his first true, in the traditional sense, rookie card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Post the link and one of us will post the actual photo... image

You might want to delete all your inactive links so we don't keep clicking them too.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
    I wish I could...every time I click "EDIT" on those 2 posts, I get an error

But I was able to finally post the picture above! It's the crown jewel of my collection
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Spectacular card! Congratulations. I'd love to pick up a nice vintage card some day. Difficulty is deciding on which one.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

<< <i>Spectacular card! Congratulations. I'd love to pick up a nice vintage card some day. Difficulty is deciding on which one. >>

Thanks very much and yes difficult to choose. Dimaggio was always a personal favorite of mine although I am much too young to see him play, I liked his mystique with the whole Marily Monroe thing, Paul Simon song, etc. He seems to be more Pop Culture than other players who were just known for baseball
  • Congrats on the beautiful pickup. Whether it is his rookie or not, it is one of my favorite cards. Unfortunately for me, mine is not as nice as yours. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For me, 1936 World Wide Gum is DiMaggio's true rookie "card". Here's an example for those who aren't familiar:

'36 Joe D RC

DiMaggio has Zeenut minor league issues, but the '36 WWG is his first true, in the traditional sense, rookie card. >>

Would you look at that slacker, wearing his hat all crooked and stuff? What a thug!

Tabe
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Cracks me up that he's referred to as a "giant Italian" on the back of his WWG gum. Also lists his nickname as "Deadpan Joe". Luckily that nickname gave way to both "Joltin' Joe" and the "Yankee Clipper".
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • That's a sweet DiMag ClockworkAngel! You too BobS. I want to add one to my collection, but when I log into my bank account there's a sad face there lol
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread made me work a deal for this lowly 2. Undergraded by my eye. I have a new appreciation for these 38G cards now that I have one. I actually like the very simple, almost childlike design.

Will patiently wait for a nice low grade 36' WWG to come along, as I consider that his true rookie. >>

Why did that card get a 2? Very nice. And congrats to you clockworkangel. That is a sweet card. I had a PSA 5 many moons ago but sold it. Wish I had it back. Someday I will have another.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    the people that call the 2 R323 DiMaggio's "Rookies" are just whacked and have their eyes and ears closed... Im sure they are the same collectors that call the R319 Ruth and Gehrigs "rookies" etc. ie *Beckett

the rookie is the 1936 V355 (sole image on a bubble gum card as a NY AL player), and there are many other issues in the 1936-37 Era too ie R312, R314-4, R314-1 (w/mgr), R313 (action shot), not to mention the highly desired prerookies E137 issues from 1934-35 and the best DiMaggio card of all time the 1935 Pebble Beach Clothiers card (all are signed).... etc.

with that said I have always liked the design R323 design, but they are too common to make a big deal about (except the Lombardi RedSox card).
    supply and demand....
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>the people that call the 2 R323 DiMaggio's "Rookies" are just whacked and have their eyes and ears closed... Im sure they are the same collectors that call the R319 Ruth and Gehrigs "rookies" etc. ie *Beckett

the rookie is the 1936 V355 (sole image on a bubble gum card as a NY AL player), and there are many other issues in the 1936-37 Era too ie R312, R314-4, R314-1 (w/mgr), R313 (action shot), not to mention the highly desired prerookies E137 issues from 1934-35 and the best DiMaggio card of all time the 1935 Pebble Beach Clothiers card (all are signed).... etc.

with that said I have always liked the design R323 design, but they are too common to make a big deal about (except the Lombardi RedSox card).
    supply and demand.... >>

I have to disagree. The Dimaggio RC is not the 1936 V355; it's the 1935-36 R327 Blue Stripe Variation, found only in the strip-cut series that includes the 'glove on hip' card as well as the 'NYYY' error. Granted, there has been problems in the past with this card being counterfeited-- see the work done by the McDenett brothers in the late '90's, and those fairly sophisticated fakes they passed off on a number of folks at the National that year-- but the fact that the R327 has been so widely counterfeited doesn't mean it shouldn't qualify as the true JD rookie.