Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm commiting a mortal sin....submitting an 1826 CBH in an OGH for a re-grade via Secure Plus + True

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this lady does not upgrade 2 points, I'll be shocked.
Please tell me where I am going wrong! image

edited to add: Sorry about my poor imaging skills....iPhone4s is my brush here.

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not try for the gold sticker first?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What good would a sticker do??!!

Get it out of that crappy holder.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, your right. What the heck would a sticker do.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You scared me! It's only a Rattler. I approve of your plan. Good luck!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for sharing that you're going the SP route with TV. shows guts to go for the SP grading, a re-grade no less. kudos

don't forget to share the results no matter what the verdict! thanks

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that a style of holder makes someone second guess the decision.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great looking coin! Good luck! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going from your images it would be an AU (IMHO) GB. image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say wise choice, you will upgrade by one plus points and you will have a TrueViewimage

What's the downside......nothin'

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these "grossly undergraded" OGH coins have been net graded by PCGS due to a problem with the coin. Hopefully this is not the case with your coin Goldbully. If you do not detect a problem with the obverse and reverse you have to wonder about the edge of the coin.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Not smart, all this extra cost whereas a bean is only $10 and if it gold beans is worth more than a upgraded coin
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of these "grossly undergraded" OGH coins have been net graded by PCGS due to a problem with the coin. Hopefully this is not the case with your coin Goldbully. If you do not detect a problem with the obverse and reverse you have to wonder about the edge of the coin. >>

IMO it looks net graded for the obvious and recent dip just before the coin was submitted.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this for the registry or for the style of the holder or for the money if you go to sell it?

If it were me, and it wasn't for the registry, I would go for the sticker. If it were registry, well, then I guess you are set on it.

Your coin, your slab, your choice image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Bochiman: image

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree - worth more with the gold bean.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Some of these "grossly undergraded" OGH coins have been net graded by PCGS due to a problem with the coin. Hopefully this is not the case with your coin Goldbully. If you do not detect a problem with the obverse and reverse you have to wonder about the edge of the coin. >>

This is a very good point. My first reaction was to think this was a no-brainer AU, possibly AU55. But what about the edge? How does CAC account for the possibility of a net grade given by the TPG for a problem with the edge? It would seem to me that the short answer is they don't.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the images this coin looks like a no brainer AU which makes me wonder why it hasn't been cracked out by a previous owner.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I would much rather have the new PCGS holder than a stupid sticker green or gold or purple!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin GB.
    I see the luster break on her cap and high curls, but can't quite be sure of the wear/luster break on her chest. By my first read it looks to have high XF/low AU wear, but strong AU luster. Be sure to look at her chest/neck/cheek before you spend the money. I am not seeing a gold bean but don't have her in hand as you do.
    Is that a heavy scratch above the date ?
    Give her the stman once over to be sure.
    Hope she works out for you. Good luck.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
    That's potential financial suicide!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I certainly think it has a shot at AU.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin GB.
    I see the luster break on her cap and high curls, but can't quite be sure of the wear/luster break on her chest. By my first read it looks to have high XF/low AU wear, but strong AU luster. Be sure to look at her chest/neck/cheek before you spend the money. I am not seeing a gold bean but don't have her in hand as you do.
    Is that a heavy scratch above the date ?
    Give her the stman once over to be sure.
    Hope she works out for you. Good luck. >>

I'm currently enroute to the airport.....I'll study the coin tonight. As far as the cap luster break.....that's slab cloudiness.
    Thanks for the critique JRocco and everyone else that voiced their thoughts. There have been some great comments. Thank you all.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    From the very beginning, there has almost got to be a reason this coin was NOT designated as a low grade Almost Uncirculated condition label. I detect slight 'wear' in the folds of the cap and on the highest points of the curls...and yes, slight luster breaks on the breast and clasp.

Even though you have 'booming' luster in the recesses, that alone does not preclude a automatic AU.

If you feel the need though, good luck.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even in the rattler one can get enough of a view of the edge and rim to decide if something is wrong. You can't do that in a tight NGC holder. Coin looks to be a no
    brainer AU coin. Only some wipe lines (if there) might be holding it back. Standards were tougher in the pre-1990 era and since then many XF45 busties have become AU's,
    esp. those with luster. Coin is worth more with a gold bean. And by giving it a gold bean JA doesn't promise to pay "moon" money for it, just his market price for that point in time.

Coins like this are becoming relics as the last remaining ones get cracked out, all the more reason to leave them alone and reap the rewards of having an undergraded coin in an old
    holder. Seems that these days there is no shortage of collectors trying to brag about owning the most undergraded coins sitting in old holders. And they pay up to be able to say that.
    Should be plenty of them willing to pay AU money just as this coin sits, beaned or not. Buy the coin, not the holder. I think the coin would be worth less money in a current AU50
    holder w/o a bean. With a gold bean it would be worth more than what AU53's and even AU55's are probably bringing. I threw away way too many rattlers and gold bean opportunities
    in past years...learned my lesson.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I would send it in for economy regrade....not SP. There is no down side. It will either upgrade or come back as 45 in a nice holder.

Anything to get it out of the rattler!
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not try for the gold sticker first? >>

Yup

I personally like Rattlers
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A premeditated confession. You know the penance for that is stamp collecting.
  • Options

<< <i>image

If this lady does not upgrade 2 points, I'll be shocked.
    Please tell me where I am going wrong! image

edited to add: Sorry about my poor imaging skills....iPhone4s is my brush here. >>

Thanks to all those that agreed with me.........and thank you to all of those that provided their valuable advice.

AU53 image

PCGS Link
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats GB.

That is a wonderful looking CBH. The TrueView makes it look MS.

Nicely done!!
  • Options
    What a beauty. Very nice!
    At 47, I'm wondering why I'm one of the youngest people at stamp shows!!!!!
  • Options
    Good job!

AU53 in a nice holder is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than a rattler 45 and 20 gold beans!
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    Coingrats. Great results, and love the trueview. image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Good job, you were right.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I have a question for the bean lovers.

Why would you rather have a coin in an undergraded crappy holder with a dumb sticker....... instead of a nice holder correctly graded????

WHY!!!!????
  • Options
    TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    ^ Because theyre worth more? hahah seems like maximizing resale value would be a no brainer.
  • Options

<< <i>^ Because theyre worth more? hahah seems like maximizing resale value would be a no brainer. >>

Now I'm just waiting for someone to pull the "you should be a collector, not an investor" card image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see this one the first time you posted it but I would have agreed with you submitting for TV and upgrade

Congrats on a very nice coinimage

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for the bean lovers.

Why would you rather have a coin in an undergraded crappy holder with a dumb sticker....... instead of a nice holder correctly graded????

WHY!!!!???? >>

I'll give you two reasons, first its might bring more at auction than in the current AU holder, second not everyone is as overflowing of kool-aid as you are.

And I'll say right now that I edited that last part before I even posted so I would'nt get bammedimage
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Anyone who would pay more for an XF45 w/cac than a AU53...................

I can't describe this person without breaking several forum rules.image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who would pay more for an XF45 w/cac than a AU53...................

I can't describe this person without breaking several forum rules.image >>

Clearly your not paying attention to auction results for coins that carry the gold, otherwise you'd know how off base your comment is.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    P.T. Barnum already coined the phrase for a person who would pay 53 money for a 45 w/cac!image
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. I like it in the AU53 holder.

Now ya gonna go for the (green?) bean? imageimage
  • Options
    Oh! and how is wanting a coin in a correctly graded holder being a kool-aid drinker?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    a double upgrade?! image Nice job! Nice coin! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who would pay more for an XF45 w/cac than a AU53...................

Go ahead, you can describe me.

I've done similar stuff quite often. In bust halves I purchased a pair of ANACS 62 and ANACS 63 at a FUN auction....paying MS63 money for them.
    They might as well have had gold beans on them. Both came back MS64 on the crackout and regrade at NGC. Sometimes, you just have to buy the coin. It matters
    little if the OP's bust half was left in an XF45 holder and gold stickered. It surely would have. And it probably would have been worth more as such as anyone in their
    right mind would have recognized the coin as a no brainer AU. The pool of gold rattlers housing desireable coins is now pretty small. Rattlers are cool imo...as long as the coin
    inside them is cool too. Some collectors want cool stuff. An AU53 bust half in a rattler 45 holder is not the norm. AU53 bust halves in AU holders are probably 50-100X more common. It would be interesting if the coin did not sticker now. What does this say about grading standards back in the pre-1990 days? image ......In any case at AU53, you did just fine. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

Go ahead, you can describe me.

I've done similar stuff quite often. In bust halves I purchased a pair of ANACS 62 and ANACS 63 at a FUN auction....paying MS63 money for them.
    They might as well have had gold beans on them. Both came back MS64 on the crackout and regrade at NGC. Sometimes, you just have to buy the coin. It matters
    little if the OP's bust half was left in an XF45 holder and gold stickered. It surely would have. And it probably would have been worth more as such as anyone in their
    right mind would have recognized the coin as a no brainer AU. The pool of gold rattlers housing desireable coins is now pretty small. Rattlers are cool imo...as long as the coin
    inside them is cool too. Real collectors want cool stuff, not just another AU53 bust half that is properly graded. It would be interesting if the coin did not sticker now.
    What does this say about grading standards back in the pre-1990 days? image ......In any case at AU53, you did just fine. image >>

Although the extra premium the gold stickers are garnering on lower valued and relatively modern coins is rapidly drying up, especially with the explosion of availability on coins such as Mercury Dimes and Franklin Halves.
  • Options
    I'm truly enjoying the back and forth tonight.
    This appears to be a passionate topic.....it was not all that long ago that the vast majority
    of this forum was trashing this upstart CAC "policing company" for the major U.S. coin grading companies.
    While I respect CAC's role in this industry(?), I much prefer a "hard grade up" than a colorful bean agreeing that the coin is CAC OK.
    I'm certainly not alone here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file