Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oct 5, 2012: 1690s William III Halfpenny!! First 1600s coin...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Yes, this was found a week or so ago, but since it wasn't immediately known what it was, I asked around first.

Originally thought it was a draped bust large cent, but after some comparison, it definitely wasn't one of them. Then, someone over on Treasurenet suggested it could be a William III copper. "Could it be??"

Fortunately, after sitting for a few days, some more details emerged and she certainly looked like one!

One member wrote: "They stayed in circulation longer than any of the other British Coppers in my opinion. Thus most are worn down, and usually smooth on the back, or nearly so and almost always on the Obverse (Bust side) the strongest details left will be the left side of the bust and especially the ribbons. Your coin fits that perfectly. Hard to say for certain which type from your photo but I am fairly certain it is a William Halfpenny"

After posting additional pics, another member stated: "...it's clear it's a 1st or 2nd issue William III and a 1600s coin. PS: The issue two would be far less common to dig so you most likely have a 1st issue. I don't recall ever seeing anyone on this side finding a William III with the date in the legend."

That would date it from 1695 - 1698!! The site I was at dates to the mid-1700s, so it must have been in circulation for a long time before being lost.

She ain't pretty, but she's 1600s!!

HH all.

Comments

• Options
    I can't say for sure, but from your first pic there almost seems to be another shadowy bust poking further out from where the William bust would be--- so basically I'm saying there is a chance this is a William and Mary halfpenny of 1694 (the last year of the dual busts and the only year W and M halfpence were made of copper)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id think you might have a winner there. good stuff and congrats in anycase image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find.... amazing how a coin of that age can still be found...Cheers, RickO