Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is there a way to view the PSA/DNA marker placed on cards?

I have a 1978 Topps autographed set that is almost complete. About 640 of the cards came from a single set was PSA/DNA reviewed. Another 40 or so cards came from a different PSA/DNA reviewed set. The last 40 or so cards are not PSA/DNA. I'd like to combine the cards but am concerned that if I ever go to sell it, it will be difficult to prove which cards are PSA/DNA. Each of my two PSA letters are generic, speaking to a "set of 640 autographs" or similar, and do not specify card numbers.

Is there a way (black light or similar) to actually see the PSA/DNA marker they place onto cards? If not, how do you deal with this issue? If I gave the last 40 cards to PSA, do you think they would be willing to confirm the review of the first 680 and then provide a single letter covering the entire set?

I looked around but couldn't find a post asking this question. Maybe it's a silly one.

Scott
Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• PSA/DNA actually places an unseen marker on the cards ?

Edit to add: By the way. very cool set you have anyway.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1978 Topps autographed set that is almost complete. About 640 of the cards came from a single set was PSA/DNA reviewed. Another 40 or so cards came from a different PSA/DNA reviewed set. The last 40 or so cards are not PSA/DNA. I'd like to combine the cards but am concerned that if I ever go to sell it, it will be difficult to prove which cards are PSA/DNA. Each of my two PSA letters are generic, speaking to a "set of 640 autographs" or similar, and do not specify card numbers.

Is there a way (black light or similar) to actually see the PSA/DNA marker they place onto cards? If not, how do you deal with this issue? If I gave the last 40 cards to PSA, do you think they would be willing to confirm the review of the first 680 and then provide a single letter covering the entire set?

I looked around but couldn't find a post asking this question. Maybe it's a silly one.

Scott >>

No idea. Have you called to ask?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Ignorance here, but back on the question of does PSA/DNA actually place a 'substance marker' on a card when verifying, is that confirmed ? What if I have a PSA/DNA encased card, that I would want to (taboo I know) cross over to Becket grading. Would Becket see the mark when grading/authenticating and label the card 'marked' or any other qualifier ? Had to ask.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a 1978 Topps autographed set that is almost complete. About 640 of the cards came from a single set was PSA/DNA reviewed. Another 40 or so cards came from a different PSA/DNA reviewed set. The last 40 or so cards are not PSA/DNA. I'd like to combine the cards but am concerned that if I ever go to sell it, it will be difficult to prove which cards are PSA/DNA. Each of my two PSA letters are generic, speaking to a "set of 640 autographs" or similar, and do not specify card numbers.

Scott >>

No idea. Have you called to ask? >>

I have not called. I wanted to hear first if you could see the DNA under black light (or some other way). Since it appears that you can, I probably won't look to have the 40 commons reviewed, due to the expense. Knowing that 680 of the cards have been reviewed and being able to back up that claim is probably enough. The will be reviewed signed pieces tomorrow in person in City of Industry. If I can make, I may inquire as to cost if and will let you guys know if they are willing to reissue a single letter covering the entire set.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    I called since you'd rather speculate than get a quick and final answer.

Yes, they place a marker on authenticated items. But not slabbed cards/ICs, etc since they are slabbed.

No, you can't see it with a blacklight.

No, it is not a numbered marker, it is simply a dot/mark, nothing specific to the item. ie. no stamp with the cert number.

It is only viewable with the 'laser' they have. (I assume that means it is simply a wavelength specific dye or a marker that fluoresces under a certain energy level laser.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Again, back to the question. That mark or whatever is placed on the card, makes it 'stained' 'or 'marked' if I owned a grading company. HAHA. I still do not believe there is anything placed on the card, pending anyone verifying by a ultroviolamitsensitiveindicator photo being supplied here.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ignorance here, but back on the question of does PSA/DNA actually place a 'substance marker' on a card when verifying, is that confirmed ? What if I have a PSA/DNA encased card, that I would want to (taboo I know) cross over to Becket grading. Would Becket see the mark when grading/authenticating and label the card 'marked' or any other qualifier ? Had to ask. >>

Depends, are we talking about his Airness or a card of the The Ryan Express?
  • In testimony I read for the WIWAG scandal, its a patented marking and scanner they use to prevent fraud. I doubt they would tell you what wavelength to look at.