Home Precious Metals
Options

How to buy and sell without going online?

How does someone buy and sell gold and silver without going online to find a buyer? I know coin clubs are a good option, but not every town has a convenient coin club.

Suppose I want to buy and sell gold without using the Internet. I could go to one of the many 'we buy gold' or bullion exchange shops in town and pay a premium over melt for well known and universally accepted bullion coins. However, when I attempt to sell, everyone is only willing to offer 40% to 50% of melt. I have never sold to one of these places because I feel an offer of 50% of melt for gold bullion coins is a ripoff.

I've asked why the buyer offers are so low, and their response was 'we can only offer so much because we have to pay to send them to the refiner'. My question is, if the bullion coin is already .9999 fine, why should I take a penalty so it can go to the refiner?

I already have a full time job and do not have the time to develop a social network of bullion buyers are sellers. How do I sell at melt without going online to find buyers?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    local coin shop

since you obviously have a computer compare your coin shop prices to what you can do on-line and then choose the most profitable method. Doing it online is a piece of cake unless you have specific conerns. If so address them here.

turn on your private messages function in your profile here so that you can send and receive PMs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done very well buying and selling at the larger coin shows.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i> My question is, if the bullion coin is already .9999 fine, why should I take a penalty so it can go to the refiner? >>

It depends on the bullion type and its market. I doubt somebody will send Silver Eagles to a refinery (unless silver goes really high) while I am sure refiniries receive plenty of Xmas bars...

If you don't have B&Ms and/or shows close to you, your best option would be the BST. Less hassle than eBay and it is plenty of trustworthy people.

MM
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Just call APMEX, you get the price "lock in" quote over the phone. Mail Gold/Silver.... get a check 10 days later. (tell them you don't have e-mail)

Or here on the BST.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BST here works great - have bought and sold here with very satisfactory results. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The best place I have found, is the site bullion stacker Linky ,
    they have a feedback system that works remarkably well.

_Reset