Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

2009 UHR PCGS-MS70PL FS vs. The Other UHR's

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, Ian at GC has been getting a lot of press about his nearly $21,000 recent auction sale of a 2009 Ultra High Relief grading PCGS-MS70PL First Strike.

Interestingly, 2009 UHR's in PCGS-MS70 First Strike sell for about $3,500 so one could have -6- of these if one did not care about obtaining Prooflike surfaces on their coins.

Or, if one wanted some "PCGS perfect" UHR's in Prooflike, one could buy nearly (4) of those if one did not care about obtaining a "First Strike" label on their (4) "PCGS perfect" Prooflike UHR coins

Or, if one just wanted some "PCGS perfect" MS70 UHR's without First Strike or PL, one could have nearly -7- of those instead of the single "trifecta" MS70PL FS UHR.

So, three to five years from now, which pile of UHR's would you want to be sitting with and why?

(1) MS70PL FS

(4) MS70 PL

(6) MS70 FS

(7) MS70

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a few coins designated PL at shows and I really can't tell the difference between those not designated as such. Every UHR I've seen looks to have PL surfaces... sure some have some more die polish lines on them than others, but all are PL to some degree. That said, I'd pay nothing extra for the designation and would choose the coins that look exactly the same that don't have the designation.

I've also never paid extra for First Strike, whether I've been buying coins already certified or whether I've been submitting moderns. So, for me it would be the 7 MS70 examples in your scenario!
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen a few coins designated PL at shows and I really can't tell the difference between those not designated as such. Every UHR I've seen looks to have PL surfaces... sure some have some more die polish lines on them than others, but all are PL to some degree. That said, I'd pay nothing extra for the designation and would choose the coins that look exactly the same that don't have the designation.

I've also never paid extra for First Strike, whether I've been buying coins already certified or whether I've been submitting moderns. So, for me it would be the 7 MS70 examples in your scenario! >>

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I will go with what illini said
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also go with the 7 MS70's. First Strike is just a piece of paper.

FWIW, how many MS69's could be had for the same money?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would also go with the 7 MS70's. First Strike is just a piece of paper.

FWIW, how many MS69's could be had for the same money?

Jim >>

I would guess around 9 of them... and I would take those or 9 uncertified examples in the original boxes over 7 MS70s any day for the same money.