Home Metal Detecting
Options

Trade Token

Greetings!

I decided to hit one of my favorite parks last Sunday as the weather was beautiful. As I was driving on the track headed to the back I noticed a hole that was approx. 20 x10 that was surrounded by caution tape. I could see that hard red clay and earth had partially been filled back in to within 6 inches of the black soil turf line. My mind was racing as to where the soil that had been removed was? I neared the last turn of the track and saw..

I walked over to the pile and found a park employee on the other side of the fence. While detecting is permitted at the park, I asked what he thought of me digging around in the dirt? He asked that I didn't and I was bummed but fine with it.

I crossed over the track to the infield and picked out a spot that I have hunted often over the years. While this park has been gone over by hunters for over 40 years, it still kicks out a keeper once in a while. I was hoping it was my day!

The section I was hunting is very clean. You might walk and swing for 20 - 30 feet and never hear a peep from the machine. My first target was a brass rivot with some remnants of leather still attached. Being an old horse racing track it is a common find. My next couple of signals were various trash items made of aluminum. I then got a nice round sounding signal and was pleasantly surprised to find a brass disk with "MILK" stamped in the middle of it! A milk token! I couldn't make out much else on it till I got it home and cleaned it.

I continued to hunt but didn't find much. In fact I was there 2 hours and only dug 10 signals.

Here is the token after a cleaning in just water.

It says Good for 1 Pt Milk. J.W. Newhouse. The reverse reads C.W. Harton. Maker. Marysville O.
Here it is after a 15 minute bath in boiling hot peroxide. I have used this method often for cleaning up old brass relics.

It's a nice addition to my tokens being number 3 that I have dug!

HH Everyone

Edited to add..it's been a long time since I have taken and posted picks..Need to work on cropping my huge pics..Sorryimage
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    well that's a nice little treat! Any idea on the age? You should sneak in and hit that dirt pile... image
  • Options
    Not sure really.. I would guess it dates before 1920. I've driven down Newhouse Rd many times as it is close to the park. I can't recall seeing an existing dairy farm there. Need to stop at the library and do a little research.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find.... and I bet that dirt pile would have yielded some goodies... Cheers, RickO