Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Goal Completed - A Peace Dollar set for your Enjoyment

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the past two or three years I've been working on a date/MM set of Peace Dollars. The story of this set is really the story of my re-introduction to the hobby after a long absence. I decided to augment my overall investments with a bit of bullion a few years ago. After picking up a few modern mint coins I acquired a few silver dollars. The Peace Dollar design really intrigued me and I started collecting a basic set of the 24 coins. Several eBay purchases later I had a solid collection of cleaned, abused, whizzed, slider, and over-hyped coins. Needless to say I wised up fast and discovered the world of certified coins.

Like many others my introduction to true numismatics went something like this:

Childhood collecting from circulation to a few mint products to a long absence during college, med school, and residency to a few bullion purchases to coins with some numismatic value to certified coins to a reasonably serious collection.

In all, the experience wasn't terribly expensive in terms of mistakes and it taught me a great deal about what I liked and what I wanted. Gradual upgrades moved the set from low-value slabbed widget coins to the current collection. I read every book I could find on the subject and started hitting a few coin shows. It was fun to discover and meet a few of the important dealers in the series. I owe a huge thanks to Don Rinkor, Mark Feld, and especially Larry Shapiro for their help.

By early 2012 the set was mostly complete. I've since changed a few coins that didn't meet my own expectations and I'm still considering one or two changes. I am always on the lookout for my "White Whale Peace Dollar" which would be a 1921 in MS65/66 with absolutely hammered, perfect strike. If the entire series could have been produced in high-relief it would have ranked near the top of beautiful coin designs. I'd also like to upgrade the 1922-S, the 1928, and maybe the 1927 coins to true gem status. It might be fun to add a nice MS67 example in 1922 or 1923 if the right one comes along.

I recently updated my photo setup to include a copy stand and a decent macro lens - the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM. I love hobbies within hobbies and this setup is finally allowing me to show these coins as they really are. The photography still needs a little fine-tuning, but I'm satisfied for now:

The Collection

Comments

• Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    That is an outstanding collection. I always love to see registry sets presented with that level of passion. Great descriptions and excellent photos. Bravo!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice collection. I liked reading about how you collected and your plans on what you like/dont like on individual coins. Grats for now, if you upgrade please update image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful set and great presentation. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an OUTSTANDING set! Well done and that's the way I like Peace dollars...............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Peace dollars are beautiful, and you have assembled a truly outstanding set.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful set, congrats!
  • Options
    greenwrgreenwr Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Great Set Bryce - Thanks for the mentorship over the years
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story, great set, and excellent presentation. Outstanding, all around. image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    That is a great set of Peace dollars you have put together. Congrats.

Mike
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Set! And thanks for posting all professional photos.

I never understood registry set players who:
    a. didn't post photos
    b. when they did post photos they were of poor quality and not consistent

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the wonderful set!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    That is truly an elite set and the quality is top shelf, you eye for skin and grade selection has matured into quite a good one. Now go out and get some of the better varieties like the 34d doubled dies, the 35s 4ray, 23 doubled die, 21 reengraved rev and maybe a 25 missing ray
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I really like your set. Good job!

Why do you say the 1927 is the "Rarest of the Philadelphia dates."?

I have always believed the 1928 was the rarest in Gem. Is the 1927 tougher?
  • Options
    You've done a stellar job of putting that set together from many sources. The best results are seldom easy. Good work.image
    Smooth transactions with Gerard, mkman123, joebb21

Slabbed Gold For Sale
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful set and great presentation. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!image >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Dan Carr can help you with the one that's missing - 1964-d.image
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>I really like your set. Good job!

Why do you say the 1927 is the "Rarest of the Philadelphia dates."?

I have always believed the 1928 was the rarest in Gem. Is the 1927 tougher? >>

Despite conventional wisdom the 1927 is actually the rarest of the Philly issues in uncirculated grades MS60-70. In MS 65 the 1927 ranks 7/24 in scarcity while the 1928 is 9/24.

Prices of BU 1928 dollars are higher, reflecting the perceived scarcity of the 1928 which has the lowest mintage of the entire series. The 1927 has the second-lowest total mintage while the 1927-S and 1934 come in third and fourth. The Peace Dollar series is full of strange surprises when it comes to condition rarities at higher grades.

These values are from Burdette's book. I don't have the newly released 2nd edition yet, so I can't comment on his latest data. It's entirely possible that he's basing his figures on pop reports which might artificially inflate the true availability of 1928 dollars due to crackouts and resubmissions.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Great set, thanks for sharing image. I am putting together a set myself, although I doubt it will be as nice as yours. It looks like we have followed a similar path in terms of collecting and subsequent learning experiences.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice presentation and set.imageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats nice set... The 25-S is hot! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set, congrats.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the completion of the Peace Dollar set. Your collecting "time line" is a similar path that many of us have trod. image

-Wes
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Well done BryceM. Peace dollars are one of my favorite.

Btw....the '27-S appears go be a VAM-3....one of the Top 50, in case you didn't already know.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wonderful set with loads of eye appeal.

Congratulations!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wonderful set, thanks for sharing.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Collection! I like the 1928, and 1934-S.

ORIFDoc = open reduction internal fixation doc?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Bryce! Impressive. Love the coins and photos.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like many others my introduction to true numismatics went something like this:

Childhood collecting from circulation --> A few mint products --> A long absence during college, med school, and residency --> a few bullion purchases --> coins with some numismatic value --> certified coins --> a reasonably serious collection. >>

Boy, does this resonate (except for the bullion detour). It really is a common path for many of us.

What a nice set and compellingly presented. Congrats to you! image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Love registry sets with pictures and descriptions, thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on a job well done.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 22-D is fab. Nice set. Thx for sharing.
  • Options
    Job well done.... The search and the hunt is what keeps us coming back...

Jim
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a beautiful set, I love the presentation. Makes me want to go out and build a set of my own.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that it is very rewarding to complete a set. image

Great coins and congrats!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The comment on the '27 D speaks volumes and why it takes such patience and restraint in this hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>Btw....the '27-S appears go be a VAM-3....one of the Top 50, in case you didn't already know. >>

I looked again this evening when I got home. With high-res photos and a 5x loupe, I'm not seeing it. However, that particular VAM isn't the easiest to see even on a good day.
  • Options

<< <i>ORIFDoc = open reduction internal fixation doc? >>

You got it!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very beautiful and outstanding set of Peace Dollars! Great job of picking coins for your set by your standards.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a very cool set! Lots of mint frosty Liberty and Eagles going on...

ABimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I love Peace Dollars and this is a great set.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set BryceM.......well done!!!!image
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. Do you have another goal lined up?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
  • Options
    Congratulations on a fantastic set!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts/experience in reaching this point. That really is what it's all about.

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Nice set. I cant wait to finish my commem set.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is really a nice set of peace dollars, coingrats on a big accomplishment

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file