Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the Best Camera for Coin Pictures

What is the best camera for coin pictures?

What features should we look for in a camera for coin pictures?
Morgan Everyman Set
Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the photographer is more important than the camera

most any camera will take very good photos
    with the right setup
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are you willing to spend?
  • Options
    While the photographer matters, the camera matters too.

While many cameras are fine for everyday use, taking coin pictures requires more than just any camera.

And lets say under $1,000.
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beat me to it MD. If funds are a non issue, I would go all out and pick up a Nikon D800, 36.3 MP.
    Then of course you need a lens.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Focus more on the lens than the camera.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be more concerned over a good macro lens than the body.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the photographer is more important than the camera

most any camera will take very good photos
    with the right setup >>

I bought a Nikon "COOLPIX", which cost almost $500, to replace old Sony I have used for years. It takes wonderful "normal" pictures, but I've never been able to get it to work on coins. The thing always has white balance and exposure problems, no matter how I set it. I'd love to find a camera that would work, but have no idea what to buy.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the photographer is more important than the camera >>

lol, nice. that was the first thing that came to mind when i read this thread title.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a Canon SX-40 for $299 and it does some great stuff.

Morgan shot on an SX-40.

Proper lighting is more important than megapixels, IMHO.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

These were shot with a Panasonic DMC-FZ35, a fixed Leica lense digital camera for under $300, using just natural light.

As you can see, they are not necessarily pro shots with all the lighting techniques and special lenses they employ, but they are certainly adequate for general purposes i.e. Ebay sales, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose. It really comes down to a choice between pro equipment or something simple to expiriment with.

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    First, there is no right answer here.

DSLRs, in general, will grant you far more flexibility in shooting options than AIO Point and Shoot (P&S) cameras. At the same time P&S cameras have come such a long way technologically that they can generate some unexpectedly great images. The problem there is, the "unexpectedly".

My advice is that you get a bottom-end-current-generation Canon or Nikon DSLR body that supports some form of "live view" tethering -and- the best macro lens you can afford. One of many possible solutions which could come close to your $1000 budget would be:

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS APS-C (Body Only)
    $550
    Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP DI II LD IF 1:1 Macro Lens
    $500

While I can sing the praises and faults of both the lower and upper end of Canon's DSLR bodies - I've never used this Tamron lens. But, when I first started shooting coins I started with a 50mm macro lens and was certainly able to make more than passible images; Tamron has a good reputation; I do own a couple of their other lenses.

Good luck.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good macro lens like the Sigma 150, let's say 1 generation old, will cost you about $600. After that, you could just buy a used D90 body for the rest and take great pics. I would stick with a D90 minimum since the resolution is good, the feature set is nice, and it has the screw blade for older type lenses so you don't have to limit yourself down the road to electronic lenses with onboard focus drive.

Oh jeez, I just eBayed "Sigma 150 macro" and it looks like these have gone up a lot since I bought mine. Still, I consider the lens indispensable. Even though it's a prime lens, it's so fast and the macro is unbelievably good. I don't think even Nikon has a lens that's AS GOOD for coin photography.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently recommending the Canon T2i. However, I'm getting excellent results from the Canon XS and while I can't fully recommend it yet it is worth looking at. Both have EFSC. If all you are taking pics of is Dollars, then I can recommend Nikon. But for smaller coins, or especially for variety shots at higher magnification, the Canons with EFSC are superior.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    For lens, it depends on if this is just for coin photography (dedicated setup) or if you will carry it around. If the latter, then a dedicated macro lens like the Tamron recommended above is fine. But if you are just getting this for coin photography, you can do a bit better for far less money with a bellows and an enlarging or duplicating lens. Say $125 for a used bellows, $150 for a used lens, and $225 for a used Canon XS, and your whole outlay is around $500.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the best camera is, but I am using the Canon Rebel T1i EOS 500D (body only),

with a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens.

Also, a good sturdy copystand is essential, as well as a remote shutter switch.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still using an 8 year old $250 Kodak fixed lens point and shoot that I mount on a table top tripod. It is unique in that it accepts a threaded lens tube that I can screw close up filters into. I recommend going into the nearest Ritz Camera store and discussing your close-up needs with one of their experts. Tethering the camera to your computer monitor for preview before capturing the image would be a nice feature. This would enable you to experiment with lighting before snapping the shot.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Get the book: "Numismatic Photography" by Mark Goodman
    2. Read the book
    3. Get a decent copy stand
    4. Get decent lights
    5. Find affordable macro lens and matching body (crop frame will be cheaper)
    6. Read the book and experiment
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Focus more on the lens than the camera. >>

Agreed, a good macro lens is a must.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - get Mark's book, even if you only take photos on occasion.

When it comes to taking good photos of coins, I'd rank the following in order of importance:

1) Experience - A person who knows what they're doing can make even obsolete equipment sing.
    2) Stable foundation (copy stand or good tripod).
    3) Good quality macro lens.
    4) Good quality light setup.
    5) Decent camera capable of hooking up to #3 and a computer with preview, remote operation, and mirror-lock features.

Camera bodies come and go but good lenses are forever. The camera needs a certain level of function to be satisfactory, but decent results can be had even with a point & shoot. If you're serious, you need to be looking at a DSLR. Obviously a $4,000 camera will proabably take a nicer photo than one that can be had for $400, but the difference might be less significant than you think.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Hard to beat a good Nikon or Canon.
  • Options
    Recently unemployed, so I have to stick with my current rig.
    It's not pretty, no DSLR, no exotic lens and have been told by some via PM, it's laughable.
    The lighting, WB and post editing is crucial.

Here's the rig: Fuji FinePix S3280 P&S, 14MP, 24X zoom, adjustable everything.

Some examples produced by the $111 comical set-up image

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some examples produced by the $111 comical set-up image

image >>

morgansforever, Holy cow those are some amazing pics your getting out of that rig! imageimage

The 1880-S $1, 1996-D Washie, and 1962 Lincoln shots are out of this world for a sub-$200 outfit! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    <<morgansforever, Holy cow those are some amazing pics your getting out of that rig!>>

It's trial n error, patience, being square to the coin, WB, lighting and only doing enough post editing to
    present the piece as it looks in hand. I've taken the advise from MD, Todd, TomB, Mark, Robec, Skyman, Jeremy, yourself and others,
    and applied it the best I can with what I have.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<morgansforever, Holy cow those are some amazing pics your getting out of that rig!>>

It's trial n error, patience, being square to the coin, WB, lighting and only doing enough post editing to
    present the piece as it looks in hand. I've taken the advise from MD, Todd, Mark, Robec, Skyman, Jeremy, yourself and others,
    and applied it the best I can with what I have. >>

Well whatever your doing keep it up as the results are incredible! image

A minor recommendation rotate your coins when your editing so everything is straight...

IGWT and LIBERTY on some of the coins being slanted takes away from the final presentation.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    <<A minor recommendation rotate your coins when your editing so everything is straight...>>

Right on, I agree and will incorporate that into the post editing process.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I have some work to do now.

Time to start doing some reading and picture practice.
    Morgan Everyman Set
  • Options
    <<Time to start doing some reading and picture practice.>>

Trial n error can't be taught. Great thing about digital photography, if it doesn't fit the bill, shoot again till it does.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep it simple and send your coins to Mark to image, way less hassle for the same expense imo image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Get the book: "Numismatic Photography" by Mark Goodman
    2. Read the book
    3. Get a decent copy stand
    4. Get decent lights
    5. Find affordable macro lens and matching body (crop frame will be cheaper)
    6. Read the book and experiment >>

We have a winner.......
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And even when you think you have the best camera for the job give them some time and they will have a better one for it.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And lets say under $1,000. >>

For $1000, I would recommend a Nikon D5100, a manual focus used Nikon 105mm lens in good condition, a sturdy copy stand, a couple lights, and the ControlMyNikon software. Follow all the other instructions given on how to become proficient and you'll do well.
  • Options
    <<For $1000, I would recommend a Nikon D5100>>

This cam has been in my cross hairs, beautiful DSLR. All the reviews I've read have
    slated it as the best deal out there.
  • Options
    Here's a random 56-D Lincoln taken with the Canon XS:

• Options
    rmpsrpms,
    Nice job imaging that cent. image
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the photographer matters, the camera matters too.

While many cameras are fine for everyday use, taking coin pictures requires more than just any camera.

And lets say under $1,000. >>

I hope you are right. I just bought a Canon 5d Mark III. I hope it will take much better picture on coin than my Canon G2.
  • Options
    The best camera for coin images, is a camera that fulfills the needs of the user.
    My FUJI S3280 P&S works for me, JMO.

• Options

<< <i>...I just bought a Canon 5d Mark III. I hope it will take much better picture on coin than my Canon G2. >>

Good choice on the camera. A bit of overkill for coins, but it should do all that's needed. Make sure you shoot tethered, with Live View for monitoring the shot on your monitor, and EFSC will be set automatically.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Recently unemployed, so I have to stick with my current rig.
    It's not pretty, no DSLR, no exotic lens and have been told by some via PM, it's laughable.
    The lighting, WB and post editing is crucial.

Here's the rig: Fuji FinePix S3280 P&S, 14MP, 24X zoom, adjustable everything.

Some examples produced by the $111 comical set-up image
    >>

Surely the camera wasn't less than $111!

I used to be a pretty good photographer with cameras that had "film and stuff" inside. I never
    used any fancy equipment. Now I need something cheap that I can afford to smash into little
    pieces when it won't work.

One of my favorite pictures is of a professional photographer telling me I had far too slow of
    film and too little light to get a picture of him. It came out almost perfect because I predicted two
    seconds he wouldn't move and and got a nice long exposure. You almost can't tell his mouth is
    a blur since light levels were low.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that coin pics can be time consuming. It takes quite a few pics for me to aquire the one I'm finally satisfied with. A lot of it is lighting that I've run across. As for my choice of camera, I have a Canon IS S3. It has a super-macro mode that will focus even a coin resting on the lens. They are fairly cheap now than the $400 I paid a few years ago.
  • Options
    <<Surely the camera wasn't less than $111!>>

My used FUJI S3280 14MP 24X zoom P&S was purchased at a pawn shop for $100, a $5 tripod from a yard sale and two
    CFL's at $3 a piece. This camera can be purchased new for around $150. Yes the total cost of my set up is $111, not a typo. I have upgraded a bit and bought two matching swinging desk lamps for $20 a piece. So now my rig has cost me $151 out the door.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be more concerned over a good macro lens than the body. >>

What do you use Todd?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Surely the camera wasn't less than $111!>>

My used FUJI S3280 14MP 24X zoom P&S was purchased at a pawn shop for $100, a $5 tripod from a yard sale and two
    CFL's at $3 a piece. This camera can be purchased new for around $150. Yes the total cost of my set up is $111, not a typo. I have upgraded a bit and bought two matching swinging desk lamps for $20 a piece. So now my rig has cost me $151 out the door. >>

Thanks.

Cool. image

I might not even need a tripod. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgansforever... Those are fantastic images, and I love the toning on the 1898!
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file