Home Precious Metals
Options

At What Point Do You....

Stop stacking one metal in favor of another. Specifically Silver in favor of Gold/Platinum.

Just for fun, Im curious on the answers. By the sound of it, some of you stack quite a bit while others dont. Storing, accessibility, maneuverability (in emergency etc) are among the issues I see many have commented on in various places.

Feel free to share and entertain me at work image
Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the gold/silver ratio gets out of whack. In April 2011 I swapped silver for gold when the ratio got down to 30, which was 50% below the 30 year average. In other words, silver was grossly overvalued compared to gold, which proved itself over the next year.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm still in accumulation mode, I don't sell unless I have a capital requirement.

When I think that I need to rebalance a bit, I just lean in the direction of that metal the next time I decide to buy.

I don't feel compelled to sell one in order to buy another. I don't like transaction costs or tax liabilities unless there is a darned good reason to incur them.

The two factors that might change my approach are: 1) my take on where things are headed, and 2) when I decide that I am no longer in accumulation mode. Those two factors may be somewhat related, but not necessarily.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's a combination of what the two guru's said. My approach: buy what's "cheap," sell what's not, but always be heavily in. . at least while the bull is on the run. I find metals to be much easier to stay on top of than I do individual equity investments. With economic policy on your side it's not difficult to decide.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the gold/silver ratio gets out of whack. In April 2011 I swapped silver for gold when the ratio got down to 30, which was 50% below the 30 year average. In other words, silver was grossly overvalued compared to gold, which proved itself over the next year. >>

Did this a little last year as well.

As far as straight stacking, I try to switch it up when opportunity is there. If my guy has something close to melt in gold that is in my budget that is folded in my pocket at the time, well it's on.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting to hear your guys take. Accumulation mode didnt mean to sell one to exchange for another but I like seeing how different minds interpret the same information.

I am following DrBuster's methodology, however, Im not cool enough to have a "guy" that I go to image

Thanks for sharing, would love to hear more members thoughts
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just continue to accumulate.... Cheers, RickO