Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Key date 1909-O gold Indian from bullion purchase

I have been gathering a few $5 pre-33's for stacking over the past month or so. Nothing fancy just honest uncleaned Libs and Indians to fill a nickel tube. I took one of my more worn Indians as pocket piece to the office one day to show the staff. The next day I took it to a continuing education course and passed it around for my colleagues to see. This is something I often do in an attempt to get folks interested in numismatics. I find that it can be a door opener for buying and selling.

The following day I had a show in Monroeville, PA (CAMP Coin show) that I attended as a walker. I spent the night with a local dealer friend as I normally do drinking, BSing, and playing coin show and tell. Well I pull out my pocket piece and roll it over to him as he finishes up with some morgans. He lays down a loupe on the obverse and says, “Nice looking 1909 man”. He then flips the coin over and says, “What the hell is a matter with you! Dude, this coin is a New Orleans!”

Ever have your heart sink and jump with fear and joy at the same time? Well that was me. I was happy as pig in mud because I know the guy doesn’t play tricks and chances are it is a 1909-O; but all I could think about was the coin seeing the circulation it had over the previous three days. It was never mishandled, rubbed, or abused. It was, however, carried raw and handled a fair bit. I had never wanted to get a coin back into my hands so urgently as I did in that moment from my friend. I had to see it with my own eyes. Upon inspection I agreed that the coin was in fact a 1909-O and was of honest wear. The O was weak as could be expected for the grade yet it was present nonetheless.

I’m a morgan guy. That’s what I know and collect and I feel that I have a pretty good eye for it. As for gold I am just a bulk stacker of pre-33. So sometime in August I had purchased this coin in a bulk lot at spot + $10-$20 and put it into the tube with my others. Chance, fate, act of god, whatever you wish to call it made me choose this coin out of a roll of $5’s to play show and tell. Three days later I end up 5hrs away visiting a friend that specializes in Pre-33 gold and happen to show off my educational piece just for fun to him. Fast forward to 4 weeks; now I have a $5 1909-O properly preserved in a PCGS VF35 holder with a darn good story. And this “numismatic educator” is a little wiser himself.

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    09-o in 35, great find
  • Options
    You just never know. Good story. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome to find one of those image
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Pictures!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pictures! >>

Here are the pictures PCGS lists with the coin under the cert number.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool beans... not that it needs one, or any glue stuck to it. Also, the title threw me off a bit. In reading, it dawned on me, it's not a "better date", it's a KEY date.

Kudos to you,

Joe
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pick-up and a nice looking coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that is one weak "O." Id have missed it, too. Not many of those left are there?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    that is amazing! One of my dream coin I will target later in life
  • Options
    Nice story, awesome find!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, that is one weak "O." Id have missed it, too. Not many of those left are there? >>

On the Indian $2 1/2 and $5 gold coins, the design is below the fields (incused) with only the mintmark above the fields since the mintmark is punched into the die. Since there are no raised rims, the mintmark has no protection and wears off quite quickly.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great pick-up and a nice looking coin. >>

Agreed and cool story, too. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see how you missed the O, great find.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what an awesome find! congrats. i love how you got it slabbed afterwards, but before you were just carrying it around going, "hey, check this out!" the only difference? that little weak mint mark! great story.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There goes the bullion value image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy COW that's a find! Especially in "higher" problem free grades like that.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I'm looking to buy one of those, maybe I should look through dealers raw $5 golds.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He lays down a loupe on the obverse and says, “Nice looking 1909 man”. He then flips the coin over and says, “What the hell is a matter with you! Dude, this coin is a New Orleans!"

This is very funny, especially since it turned out good.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>He lays down a loupe on the obverse and says, “Nice looking 1909 man”. He then flips the coin over and says, “What the hell is a matter with you! Dude, this coin is a New Orleans!"

This is very funny, especially since it turned out good.image >>

Not a 100% spot on quote from the moment....but darn close and more forum friendly for sure. image
  • Options
    Very nice coin...love the designs!!! I guess we both got a 1909-O me been a Barber quarter and you a 5$ gold piece...guess who wins...lollll....you do...but I gotta say I love my coin as well.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I see no O............
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mkman123:

I know it's tough to see with the photo....but from what Info I can gather they all have weakly struck mint marks. This coin has also seen 25 points worth of circulation making it even more weak. Sooner or Later the coin will find it's way to BluCC for proper photos.

Matrix1980:

Getting a 1909-O Barb for your birthday is still a pretty darn good win. image
  • Options
    Rodebaugh

I know it feels good for sure....enjoy your coin as well!!!
  • Options
    Follow up. Now back from CAC.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. It was a nice piece when I saw it in Pittsburgh.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. It was a nice piece when I saw it in Pittsburgh. >>

Thank you for letting me visit and for selling me the Doily.

Still love your Monster Flagship Morgan.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on making a great find, and for sharing the excellent story with us.
    Hope you bought your 1909-O discerning friend dinner and a few adult beverages!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice. It was a nice piece when I saw it in Pittsburgh. >>

Thank you for letting me visit and for selling me the Doily.

Still love your Monster Flagship Morgan. >>

No problem. Yeah, just not too excited to sell the toned dollar. When a lot of coins come and go, it's nice to have one around to enjoy a bit.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Is the "O" in the vacinity to the left of the arrow tips? I think I can make out the southwest portion of it.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    What an amazing find! Congrats and thanks for sharing. image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Geez, my eyes are bad but I think I see it PLAIN AS DAY above and slightly to the left of the second L in DOLLARS...

Somebody confirm that so I can cancel my next eye appointment.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, I just cheated, keeping the appointment as it's supposed to be to the left of the arrow tips...
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Todd can post a blow up of the mint mark area.

Great story!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I do not really see it but it has to be there!
    Good story.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice score and a green bean to boot image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably my favorite key date gold piece in the 20th century, and one that I think is a little more realistic premium wise compared to many other "key" dates, especially the ridiculous 11-D quarter eagle. I've owned five of these in the past...and wish I would have at least kept one, but alas they come in and go out. image

Would like to have kept a really nice XF 1929 5$ that I used to have too. You know how hard it is to find a circ 1929? Tougher than a MS 09-O. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file