Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question - Removing AT off a Morgan

Is there a way to remove AT from a Morgan? If so, would the coin be able to grade?

AT Coin
Morgan Everyman Set
Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    A good dip should do the trick.

Depending on the quality of the solution in which you dip the coin and how long it is submerged, it may still be considered "market acceptable". Some dips can really improve surface quality and remove unsightly, unattractive, dark or heavy toning, but you have to know what you're doing. If you don't, the result will be a coin with washed-out, dull luster.

EDIT: By the way, I'm almost 100% this is old Whitman folder toning. We pulled a large collection of Silver dollars out folders that hadn't seen the light of day in decades and they had developed luster almost identical to this. Unfortunately, PCGS didn't grade half of 'em. I agree with Lance that the toning is likely "natural", but PCGS took the safest route in calling it "questionable".
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too bad it didn't go through the sniffer. seems to me there is a small chance it may have passed.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Not always at home can toning be removed. What's the reason it's AT? Something to hide the cleaning perhaps?

Added: That toning looks too heavy to me to remove safely with a dip. Cleaned coins sometimes tone that way in my experience.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A good dip" will absolutely ruin that coin.

It'll end up blotchy and worse.

It's really a job for NCS as that date/MM is just too tough to mess around with this yourself.
    Trust your gut: don't attempt to 'fix' this one without professional help.

peacockcoins

• Options
    It depends on the method(s) used to artificially tone the coin. If a chemical was applied and it did not damage the surfaces, a dip may work. If heat was used however, as is often common, the coin may be irreparably damaged. Also, if the coin was artificially toned, it may have been to hide surface problems that will be revealed anyway. In short, without more information, we cannot advise you. If it is a particularly valuable coin, I would contact NCS or another professional to take care of the coin.
  • Options
    Actually, I was being lazy and I didn't even see the link. I wouldn't dip the coin myself. I think this one may be better left alone. If you insist on working with it, send it to NCS.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"A good dip" will absolutely ruin that coin.

It's really a job for NCS as that date/MM is just too tough to mess around with this yourself.
    Trust your gut: don't attempt to 'fix' this one without professional help. >>

I totally agree except for the NCS part.

That coin is toast and a dip would be disastrous. Even by a professional. Not that it isn't a disaster already but for sure, the coin would be worth less than melt.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That coin is toast and a dip would be disastrous. Even by a professional. Not that it isn't a disaster already but for sure, the coin would be worth less than melt. >>

1) Toning is natural, but yucky. Poor storage, not for deception. I think the coin will dip out. 80-CC's have great lustre and I see little chance of ED.
    2) NCS totally unnecessary. This job can be done at home by a semi-beginner just as easily. Just rinse a couple of times afterwards.
    3) Less than melt? LESS THAN MELT????? AU money is $250, VG money is $130.
    4) As a practical matter, why experiment? The date is not worth slabbing unless it's going '65'. 63's are more common than VG's

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the marks on the cheek bother me a lot more than the AT
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just move on down the road that coin just has too much down side to put money into it for a collector IMO.
    Even if you get it at a decent price you can easily end up with a melt value slug.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not waste time or money on that coin, but if you do, send it to NCS....likely though, you will not be pleased with the results. Your choice...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That coin is toast and a dip would be disastrous. Even by a professional. Not that it isn't a disaster already but for sure, the coin would be worth less than melt. >>

1) Toning is natural, but yucky. Poor storage, not for deception. I think the coin will dip out. 80-CC's have great lustre and I see little chance of ED.
    2) NCS totally unnecessary. This job can be done at home by a semi-beginner just as easily. Just rinse a couple of times afterwards.
    3) Less than melt? LESS THAN MELT????? AU money is $250, VG money is $130.
    4) As a practical matter, why experiment? The date is not worth slabbing unless it's going '65'. 63's are more common than VG's >>

OK. Not less then melt but the coin itself s ruined and as such is relegated to nothing more than a hole filler.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope springs eternal with the : Legend of the Taco Bell Napkin
    Don't dip it ! Crack it and wrap it !
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Not less then melt but the coin itself s ruined and as such is relegated to nothing more than a hole filler. >>

I'm sorry, but you said melt... nice try at backing off after you got some more info

Your idea of "ruined" is what a professional would call "dipped out" and is worth north of $200 as an "AU details" coin. I'd pay that in an instant, but that's cause I tend to put my money where my mouth is. So I' ve paid tuition (losses) to learn.

Insisting on ignorance is no crime, just gonna cost you money. And also lose it for anyone who listens to you on this subject.

BTW.... have you ever dipped an 80-CC dollar? Where do you get your info?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think this coin is "market acceptable".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file