Home Precious Metals

Are these SF assay bars and rounds premium?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ebay listing

not my listing and I don't know the seller. I was just browsing and saw them

I was wondering about the bar moreso than the rounds, I have seen those near or at spot before.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope...no more than most bullion silver bars or rounds.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Believe that the 5ozer is worth a little extra, but I agree with OPA on the rounds.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Does the CC on the bar mean Continental Coin?

Also, that doesn't look like a poured bar to me. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have looked at his other items before posting. He has a beat up Norfed dollar hes asking 57$ for image
    pieceofme...I don't think so...Continental coin co. mint mark was: CCC. These bars are definitely privately minted bars and rounds from alleged silver previously stored at the SF Mint.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    My recollection is that 1981 CC stockpile silver is Continental Coin.

<< <i>My recollection is that 1981 CC stockpile silver is Continental Coin. >>

Did a little bid of research.......You and pieceofme are correct. CC stands for Continental Coin

In the late 1960s, the Defense Logistics Agency had over 165 million ounces of silver in its stockpile. The government dumped a large amount of this silver on the open market in 1980 and 1981 to drive down silver prices after the Hunt brothers tried to corner the market. Continental Coin (a private mint) purchased a large quantity of previously stockpiled silver from the SF Mint and minted 1oz rounds and 10 and 100oz bars from it. They made sure that everyone knew it was made from silver that had been stored at the San Francisco Assay Office, to the point that some people buy these bullion products thinking they were minted BY the U.S. Assay Office.

I passed on the above info to the seller, who had no clue as to what he is selling...Looks like he posted it on his write-up.

BTW there was also was a producer: Continental Coin Company & their Mint Mark was: CCC

Confusing? Yes.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPA,

Hence the word "previously" stored at SF on these bars.

Tricky tricky

It's all about what the people want...