Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greetings and GTG

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and just want to introduce myself.

I've been studying and collecting coins since 1980. My primary area has been U.S. type with a keen focus on 20 cents. I was a vest pocket dealer in the late 80's, but alas I ended up an engineer instead. image I do buy and sell coins as part of my hobby under the name Aurora Rarities.

More recently I've also developed an interest in world coins 1600-1900, especially thalers and other large silver coins.

In the short time I've been reading these boards I've seen many fun and interesting posts with pleasant and productive discussions. I'm glad to find this forum a great place to talk coins anytime! I look forward to being a part of it.

Guess the grade is one of my favorite types of posts so I've included a photo below for your enjoyment (new to coin photography - advice always welcome).

Thank you for making such a place possible,

Pat

Comments

• Options
    Very nice looking coin. I'll take a guess at MS64 and a big welcome to the boards.
    Steve
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Pat ... we have at least one other 20 cent "nut" around here who you may already know ... hopefully he stops by to say Hi

Tough to get a really good read on the picture, and not one of my series at all, but the MS64 camp seems like a reasonable grade from what I can see

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, and nice intro!

I'll guess a safe MS64 based on the photos provided - that eagle on the rev positively glows!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Welcome, I use to like (and still do) 20 cent pieces a lot but got away from them for some reason. I thought they were neat because they haven't made them for over a century like some other discontinued coins. Nice looking coin and I'll say it grades 64.
  • Options
    You all are right on. MS64. I chose this coin because it is the hardest to photograph. The dark areas you see on the reverse are actually a rich purple aura. I'm working on better lighting techniques and will post if/when I can capture the full beauty.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums as well. nice coin to image
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image Don't forget to go over to the World and Ancient Coins Forum if you like thalers.
    Becky
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome !

Are you the same Aurora Coin that sold
    Barber Dimes back in the early-mid 1990's ?

I bought a few raw Dimes back in 1994 from
    a company by that name.

Have a good time here, I certainly have.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
  • Options
    Sorry, MFH. I'm not familiar with Aurora Coin.

Thank you all for the welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome! Feel free to post often.

I guessed 64. image
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file