Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$2000 to spend

Which would you purchase (assuming highest grade possible). I would be looking for the best return on investment possible (not looking to sell in the near future, but if I did, well.... you know).

1954 Topps Aaron
1955 Topps Koufax
1955 Topps Clemente
1934 Goudey Gehrig
1933 GoudeyRuth #144
1951 Bowman Mays
1953 Topps Mays
1986 Topps Traded Bonds

Any other suggestions appreciated.
I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

Comments

• I would either go with a 1933 Goudey Gehrig or Ruth or the 1951 Mays.

Dave
  • If any of these were going to spike up in price in the near future - Id have to say it would be the Aaron Rookie or the Mays (Due to both of them being old). Usually prices increase once a player passes. Gehrig and Ruth are solid investments but with $2000, you wouldn't be able to purchase anything too high of a grade. Probably not even mid level so due to a larger pop number, the prices for those 2 wouldn't rise as much or as often as say a 6 or a 7. Now which one would I pick - Clemente. That card always has demand and just continues to go up as time goes on. Solid card from all all around great player and an amazing and humble human being.
  • go with t206
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    buy silver...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • I was leaning towards the Clemente.

The T206 idea is not a bad one. I'd probably get the green back Cobb.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

65 Namath!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • The topps traded bonds can be iffy. If he makes the hall of fame his prices will soar and with $2k you can buy alot of his cards right now so it can be a decent return. But if he doesn't make it than theyll stay the same price for a while
  • Bonds could make the Hall, on the way he could save a dozen nuns and two dozen orphaned children from a burning bus, cure cancer, stop a terrorist attack...and his cards would not even come close to the levels they were at 8-10 years ago. There is an over-saturation of his cards graded on the market and no interest in owning his cards...personally I thought Bonds being included in this was a joke...

On the list though, Clemente, Mays and Aaron would be the best direction for return on investment possibility.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Mays and Aaron would be a great place to put your money in.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clemente, he seems to have a rabid fan base. Koufax would be my second for the same reason. Mays' reputation as a crab-apple hurts him. Bonds would be insane, as we have no idea about his future. Ruth and Gehrig would be the safest if you are conservative. Aaron seems to be unappreciated.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • For the record, the Bonds being included was 100% a joke. I wouldn't add one to my collection if it was free.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    ROI has about 5% to do with the card and 95% to do with your savviness buying and selling.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.