Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sept 29, 2012: TWENTY (20) Silver coins and 58 wheat cents!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Just about to break open crisp, cold Sam Adams Octoberfest to celebrate!

Started today with 89 silver coins for the year. The goal for 2012 was 100, and got out to a place today where I found a few silvers before. Was hoping to pull a couple to get closer to the goal. Started off kind of slow in front of a building (had permission, of course). Got a merc in that area and not much else. Still got the count up to 90! Then moved to a side field that looked promising. Started with a couple of wheats, and then a silver Roosie came up! A few inches over, a merc. Not too bad! Next thing you know, more wheats, then some more silver dimes. Then all of a sudden the war nickels showed up... and kept showing up. Hit 100 with a 1944-P war nickel, and just kept on going. Even two in one hole.

Earlier this year I got 55 wheat cents in one hunt and never thought that would be challenged again, let alone just a couple months later. 58 is a one day record. Before today, 10 silver coins was a one-day record. That just doubled! Never expected a haul like this.

It's safe to say this section has never been hit...until today. Oh yeah, also got two buffalo nickels - 1913 type 2 and 1929.

HH ALL!!

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Did you also find clads and memorials in the same area?

Just wondering the mix of modern and older finds your getting.

I can only say that in my area you can go forever and find no silver, even a wheat is a good find here LOL...
    Ed
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable day....congratulations... fantastic totals... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul, very cool at that!
  • Options
    That's awesome! You Suck by the way! image
    I got out today and found ONE keeper that I need to post.

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Did you also find clads and memorials in the same area?

Just wondering the mix of modern and older finds your getting.

I can only say that in my area you can go forever and find no silver, even a wheat is a good find here LOL... >>

There was some clad mixed in. Here's the breakout:

84 Lincolns:
    58 Wheats
    26 Memorials

30 Nickels:
    2 Buffalos
    12 Wartime nickels
    16 regular Jeffersons (one was 1938 or 1939)

24 Dimes:
    6 Mercs
    2 Silver Roosies
    16 regular Roosies

4 Quarters:
    all clad washington quarters

Just got really luck at this site, never had any one site produce anything like this in one day.

Added: BTW, thanks goldrush!! And looking forward to seeing your find posted
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing that you don't take me detecting with you. Then you wouldn't find all of that SILVER. image

You sure know how to find these spots. Are you going back to see how much you missed?
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to move someday! Only clad junk around hereimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way cool haul, congrats image
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very nice!! I don't know how hard you hit it, but I'd be inclined to go back and physically grid off the area and sweep it again in it's entirety.

Congrats!

Rodney
  • Options

<< <i>It's a good thing that you don't take me detecting with you. Then you wouldn't find all of that SILVER. image

You sure know how to find these spots. Are you going back to see how much you missed? >>

PPC, If you were around, my silver count would cut in half or more. I would be hoping there would be a walnut tree around to distract you for some of that time. BTW, did you have a walnut haul this year? Or is it yet to come?

I might go back to this spot, but maybe check it out in the spring after giving it some time to settle down. This field/social area isn't all that big.

<< <i>Wow! Very nice!! I don't know how hard you hit it, but I'd be inclined to go back and physically grid off the area and sweep it again in it's entirety.

Congrats!

Thanks! after that haul, I haven't had much drive to go detecting at all this week. Will probably check out different areas this weekend - maybe hit some public places where others may detect - gotta hit those places while you can.

Rodney >>

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Interesting breakout.
    Tells you a lot was going on there before the clad years.
    The split is pretty good considering that dropping a coin back then was more worth trying to pick up than a coin or cent dropped more recently.

Hope you find some silver quarters there, there must be some. image

<< <i>
    There was some clad mixed in. Here's the breakout:

84 Lincolns:
    58 Wheats
    26 Memorials

30 Nickels:
    2 Buffalos
    12 Wartime nickels
    16 regular Jeffersons (one was 1938 or 1939)

24 Dimes:
    6 Mercs
    2 Silver Roosies
    16 regular Roosies

4 Quarters:
    all clad washington quarters
    >>

Ed