Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guess the grades - 1978 Topps Baseball - Grades now posted.

I just got these back from PSA. I am guessing it'll be tough for anyone to get all the grades correct. Not going to give clues however if I'm happy or not about the grades and/or which ones are/might be better then which other ones.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the scans, but:

Molitor RC: 8 OC
    Jackson: 9
    Rose: 9
    Ryan: 9 OC

Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Molitor RC: 7
    Jackson: 8
    Rose: 8
    Ryan: 7
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molly 9OC or 7
    Jackson 8
    Rose 9
    Ryan 9OC

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Molitor RC: 6
    Jackson: 8
    Ryan: 8OC

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    8.5,8oc
  • Options
    molly-9(OC)
    reggie-8.5
    rose-9
    ryan-9(oc)
  • Options
    crap
    ugly
    blah
    yuck
  • Options
    Molitor- 9OC
    Jackson- 8
    Rose- 9
    Ryan- 7
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

Well everyone, thanks for playing and guessing and here they are. I think I got run over by a train in the submission!

It must be like bubblebathgirl said. There must be some surface issues or something, but nothing noticeable at least without large magnification and then how bad is it if you need a 10x lens to see any kind of disturbance? The backs are just as nice as the fronts. I mean for example on the Rose card, you can see a very slight bit of white on one corner - that pushes it down to a 5? I don't think so, but I don't really get why they seemed to use a Microscope to find any possible flaws on these cards. I have sent in 1985 Topps Football before and got a mix of PSA 8s and 9s, so I usually know what good cards should look like.

These came straight from vending and generally look NM or better in person.

Oh well, I'm not mad or anything, that just how it goes.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    Molitor RC: 7.5
    Jackson: 9
    Ryan: 8
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always tough to tell from a scan but I'm guessing surface issues are what sunk you on these. The PSA 5 on the Rose is definitely due to a wrinkle.

Edit to add: Whoever graded these cards decided not to use qualifiers on them, as NM 7 on Ryan is equivalent to a 9OC in grade weight.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Brutal grades. The only one that makes sense is the Jackson.