Home Precious Metals
Options

Global Gold Mines and Deposits Ranking 2012

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see several obvious inaccuracies in these tables and have to wonder how many more there are. The 9th and 10th largest gold deposits are not in production (ie Donlin Creek
    and Oyu Tolgoi). Donlin Creek is years away from production and is still early in the permitting phase to construct a mine. Oyu Tolgoi is getting close and could be at commercial
    production in early 2013. The Pebble Deposit in Alaska is listed as #1 deposit and has huge issues with acquiring permitting, esp. with the EPA as their current #1 stumbling block.
    Don't expect this to be a mine any sooner than 5-7 yrs, if at all. It's a low grade deposit that will cost billions to build. Even Barrick recently put their Donlin Creek plans on hold
    due the escalating costs to build a mine and the current lousy business environment.

The #1 deposit by grade is Hollister owned by Great Basin Gold. it's not in production as the table suggests. This is still a young project awaiting approval of an environmental impact
    statement. Worse yet, GBG filed for bankruptcy protection in September and has shutdown their operations in Africa and USA. Someone will end up with Hollister, it just might not
    be GBG. I guess all these delays in bringing mines into production is bullish for gold....but bearish for the miners involved.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification Roadrunner...Cheers, RickO