Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Pack Authentication and Steve Hart

Does Steve Hart personally authenticate all unopened material graded by PSA? Does that include non-sport packs as well as sports?

Also, is there general confidence that PSA takes non-sports packs as "seriously" as sports packs? I only ask this because GAI at one point graded a large group of
obviously re-sealed wacky packages packs, and I always feared that they didn't check them as carefully because they were "only" non-sports.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    yes, Steve authenticates everything.
    I don't think GAI took non sports any less seriously than anything else. The issue was they had a revolving parade of authenticators, some of which were absolutely unqualified for the job.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Any new info?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve is still the top authenticator in this hobby and I wouldnt trust anyone else. More honest than anyones own family...
    What is you reason for this bump swartz
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve is still the top authenticator in this hobby and I wouldnt trust anyone else. More honest than anyones own family...
    What is you reason for this bump swartz >>

I was looking for any new info...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, nothing that has transpired has changed my opinion of Steve Hart and PSA's wax packs. But I'm also not in the market for cello packs so I'm probably not the barometer you were looking for.

I've said it before but I was extremely impressed with how Steve handled it. He's always been up front and honest.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, nothing that has transpired has changed my opinion of Steve Hart and PSA's wax packs. But I'm also not in the market for cello packs so I'm probably not the barometer you were looking for.

I've said it before but I was extremely impressed with how Steve handled it. He's always been up front and honest. >>

+1

Dave
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd still like to see a press release from PSA with full info. It's the 800 lb Gorilla in the room, hiding it behind the curtains isn't going to make it any less visible.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Agreed but I don't think it will ever come and we'll all forget.

In the mean time can't help but notice Ebay having lots of cello packs with stars on top for auction....just saying.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Sadly the news won't reach every collector and some are buying them happily, not knowing the stink on packs as a result of Jose's bad ones having beat the authenticating system. Who doesn't love the notion of unopened material, the time travel and nostalgia of it-- but what happened was big: the authenticator slabbed bad packs. Until collectors hear how it happened and how the authenticators are now certain they can detect the bad ones from here on out, the high end of this niche in the hobby/market will be depressed. There was always the uncertainty of what's inside, in terms of star power or lack thereof, or cards being OC, but now there is the gnawing uncertainty of some skillful fake-pack maker being behind dream unopened product. Makes me turn back to good old cards.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All very valid points that I agree with. But I'm much more concerned with the fact that Gary Daggett is all over the pack registry from the 1950s-1980s than I am with Jose's 100-or-so cellos.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sadly the news won't reach every collector and some are buying them happily, not knowing the stink on packs as a result of Jose's bad ones having beat the authenticating system. Who doesn't love the notion of unopened material, the time travel and nostalgia of it-- but what happened was big: the authenticator slabbed bad packs. Until collectors hear how it happened and how the authenticators are now certain they can detect the bad ones from here on out, the high end of this niche in the hobby/market will be depressed. There was always the uncertainty of what's inside, in terms of star power or lack thereof, or cards being OC, but now there is the gnawing uncertainty of some skillful fake-pack maker being behind dream unopened product. Makes me turn back to good old cards. >>

The news may not reach every collector, but I am confident that Steve and PSA will make public statements once they are in a position to do so.

Until then, I agree Matty that the cello market is in for some short-term/mid-term softness.

Dave
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭

<< <i>Sadly the news won't reach every collector and some are buying them happily, not knowing the stink on packs as a result of Jose's bad ones having beat the authenticating system. Who doesn't love the notion of unopened material, the time travel and nostalgia of it-- but what happened was big: the authenticator slabbed bad packs. Until collectors hear how it happened and how the authenticators are now certain they can detect the bad ones from here on out, the high end of this niche in the hobby/market will be depressed. There was always the uncertainty of what's inside, in terms of star power or lack thereof, or cards being OC, but now there is the gnawing uncertainty of some skillful fake-pack maker being behind dream unopened product. Makes me turn back to good old cards. >>

A collector like me! Would someone be able to fill me in, point me to a link, PM me? Thank you!
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy