Home Precious Metals
Options

From the Selling Point of View - Lessons learned?

Lots of discussion about current availability and purchasing, and a lot more people owning a lot more PMs.

What about from the seller point of view and selling trends?
How do cycles, availability, premiums, price, etc. affect selling (the seller, me...)?
Are there times when it will be tough or better not to sell, and when are the best times to sell, methods?
Is it better to sell the basic stuff at certain times, and sell the better stuff at certain times?
COA

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    simple, easier and best to sell in a rising market when the buyers outnumber the sellers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    simple, easier and best to sell in a rising market when the buyers outnumber the sellers.image

As in buying, it's best not to be in a rush when selling, and ideally you should sell some of the stuff you don't want at the same time you are buying stuff you want, i.e. - consolidate your holdings as you go.

Also - buying, and selling in smaller-but-steady increments will always smooth out the effects of market risk. The market moves up and down, and if you act methodically, it won't matter nearly as much what the market is doing. If you tend to chase what the market does, you increase the volatility of your own holdings. My timing sucks, so I don't chase the price up or down, and I don't try to anticipate short term moves (anymore).

I used to chase the price, and I did ok, but I've realized that it's not necessary and it only causes overwork. And these days, who's to say that holding to the long term trend isn't a better idea than trying to scalp a few points off each move, anyhow?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>simple, easier and best to sell in a rising market when the buyers outnumber the sellers. >>

And always do your "home work" before you start, by researching the CURRENT pricing trend of the item for sale. It appears, that a lot of sellers don't know the meaning of current fair market value.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."