Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Random cricket card from India

I'm a football and basketball fan. I only collected football with a little basketball And 89 upper deck sprinkled in. I kinda grew out of the hobby around 93-94. I started to dapple about 6 years ago.. Occasionally I'll scoop up some cards from the 80s and early 90s that I never got as a kid.. I kinda got to a point where the only cards left that I wanted were the pricier ones but on eBay all the time so I was never in a rush to pull the trigger on them.. Eventually I got the idea to start looking for rookie cards from sports other than the big 4. I started a checklist of the best of the best of various different sports. Well my original checklist of my top 25 rookies ballooned into an obsession. I've added cards from completely random sports that I have zero interest in like cricket. Anyways... One card that was on my original checklist has been eluding me. I haven't seen one for sale in over 2 years... Finally one popped up on eBay. I have zero interest in NASCAR but the name Richard petty is synonimonis with racing so i had to have his rookie.

1972 STP Richard Petty

I edited the thread title because I remembered there was some cricket talk and had a cricket card I wanted to add
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

I looked this up a while ago in the SMR and for some reason it was one of the cards not listed. I found that to be strange and would have assumed it was the most sought after card from that set.

• Options
    Where, in the heck, did you find that glorious specimen ! We need to wait about another decade for our NASCAR cards to take over baseball (kidding) ! Congatulations on that one. I have the modern auto's etc but that card is legit NASCAR greatness.

Please though, no cricket cards. I'm a corporate lifer here, and the, we'll say 'cricket fans' have over taken the office as FTE's. I'm like a token white boy now here ! (actually, there are cricket cards ? please school me where to get, I culd now suck up to the VP with such stuff)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>(actually, there are cricket cards ? please school me where to get, I culd now suck up to the VP with such stuff) >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here are some that are 75-80 years old. Wanna really suck up to the VP? Tell him that one of the cards is of Sir Donald Bradman. (One really is.) ***Google his name.***

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup.
    The 1972 STP set is my all-time favorite NASCAR issue and probably the most difficult NASCAR set to complete.
    NASCAR360 and I are always looking for any of these cards if anyone has some.

Logan
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where, in the heck, did you find that glorious specimen ! We need to wait about another decade for our NASCAR cards to take over baseball (kidding) ! Congatulations on that one. I have the modern auto's etc but that card is legit NASCAR greatness.

Please though, no cricket cards. I'm a corporate lifer here, and the, we'll say 'cricket fans' have over taken the office as FTE's. I'm like a token white boy now here ! (actually, there are cricket cards ? please school me where to get, I culd now suck up to the VP with such stuff) >>

I don't thnk I have ever even seen a cricket highlite.. For some reason I googled " greatest cricket players of all time" and decided t add these 2 to my rookie collection. Apparently don Bradman is the babe Ruth of cricket and the Indian guy is the Jeter. Both cards cost me less than the grading fees... And I'm talking 45 day special fees..

19297035 EXCELLENT 5 1930 JOHN PLAYER & SONS CRICKETERS 4 D.G. BRADMAN Card

19297034 NEAR MINT 7 1996 FUTERA WORLD CUP CRICKET 34 SACHIN TENDULKAR Card
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Great job! I know you have been looking for that card for a long time.
    Hook'em
  • Options

<< <i>Here are some that are 75-80 years old. Wanna really suck up to the VP? Tell him that one of the cards is of Sir Donald Bradman. (One really is.) ***Google his name.***

image >>

Holy Carp dbonesq. had no ide there are 'cricket cards' just searched.. Cricket Attax - Trading Card Game Box - Online Toy Shop India is what i can find and that lik don't work. If anyone here can provide me a link to where I could actually buy modern 'cricket' cards, I have a chance of being Godzilla of my outsourced corporate world 4 story office bulding in where I am 1 of 5 leftover stud muffin white boys. Please assist so I can be Godzilla !
  • Options
    Try googling. "Futera cricket". Should be able to find something. That's all I did when I had the bright idea to add some cricket players to the collection. They are prob the most random ones I have.. Gary Gait lacrosse card is a close second as far as randomness.. Haha.
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Very nice score.

Ebay
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    This is an original, vintage, and very hard to find 1972 STP Richard Petty trading card. These cards were one of the first NASCAR trading cards issued. They were made by Racing Pictorial Magazines Inc. for STP. There are (11) different known STP NASCAR racing trading cards released by Ray Mann , who made the Racing pictorials / Sportstar Photographics cards & handouts.

The back reads " Compliments of STP Corporation 125 Oakton St. Des Plaines, Ill. 60018

I googled that address and it's my Sam's club now, lol.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great find, Chad! I know that card has been listed in your signature for a while! Now we just need to track down a (reasonably priced) '68 Mira Palmer.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you noticed the right edge is blue like someone took a marker or pen and used it to draw a straight line. I don't mention it to be negative but just trying to look out for my fellow PSA brother. I have a few of these so I know what they look like. You could also ask KingNascar.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if you noticed the right edge is blue like someone took a marker or pen and used it to draw a straight line. I don't mention it to be negative but just trying to look out for my fellow PSA brother. I have a few of these so I know what they look like. You could also ask KingNascar. >>

I kinda thought it was just the way light was in the pic. I'll find out when I get it. Either way it's fine with me.. Ive been looking for one for about 3 years and this first one ive seen on ebay in that time. It presents we'll and I dont really collect for condition. I do like all of my cards slabbed for presentation purposes... So if it ends up in a psa 5 MK holder I won't mind.. I will be pissed if it doesn't get slabbed because it's considered recoloring.

80s. I gave up on the Mira after a guy contacted me about it and asked 15k for it. That was about 14.5 ks more than what I was expecting. I moved on to the 65 Bancroft. It's 3 years earlier and is his true rookie. I'll pick me up eventually. Great card by the way.
  • Options
    I don't see one on eBay for about 3 years... I finally get one and now the are apparently as common as 89 griffey's

Gotta be kidding me
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where, in the heck, did you find that glorious specimen ! We need to wait about another decade for our NASCAR cards to take over baseball (kidding) ! Congatulations on that one. I have the modern auto's etc but that card is legit NASCAR greatness.

Please though, no cricket cards. I'm a corporate lifer here, and the, we'll say 'cricket fans' have over taken the office as FTE's. I'm like a token white boy now here ! (actually, there are cricket cards ? please school me where to get, I culd now suck up to the VP with such stuff)

I don't thnk I have ever even seen a cricket highlite.. For some reason I googled " greatest cricket players of all time" and decided t add these 2 to my rookie collection. Apparently don Bradman is the babe Ruth of cricket and the Indian guy is the Jeter. Both cards cost me less than the grading fees... And I'm talking 45 day special fees..

19297035 EXCELLENT 5 1930 JOHN PLAYER & SONS CRICKETERS 4 D.G. BRADMAN Card

19297034 NEAR MINT 7 1996 FUTERA WORLD CUP CRICKET 34 SACHIN TENDULKAR Card >>

>>

Woah, thanks for letting me know about that Tendulkar, Eagles. Sachin is the Michael Jordan + Cal Ripken of cricket, and India has really started to commoditize the cricket leagues into bigtime sports. If Indians ever get into cards (a long shot, I admit), that card could easily be $100+ in a very short time. Production was limited to something like 5000 boxes I think. And for those who haven't seen it, the new 20/20 league is a lot more like baseball than the previous multi-day events, and a lot of fun to watch.
  • Options
    Got the card today. Thankfully there was no blue on the edges.. It was just a bad scan. It will prob grade a 4 or 5. I would be happy just get it so I can delete the ebay search that I've had for years... If it wasn't for the fact a signed one in same or better condition sold for just a few bucks more. So weird that I don't see one for years and then 2 in 2 weeks.

I also got today a card that I've been looking for since the movie Inviticus came out. Not a rugby fan but after seeing the movie I figured what the heck and added it to the checklist The cards are particularly hard to find because its from south africa and they don't use paypal so I had a tough time finding it for sale that was available to the US. I think its the 15th different country that I have cards from as part of this ludicrously random collection

1992 Sports Deck (Currie Cup) Francios Peinaar
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Congrats again on pulling in the whale, Chad!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Glad it worked out! Congrats again on the card.
  • Options
    I stumbled on this.. It's a 1992 cricket card from India. Its the most random card in my collection I think. It's 4 years earlier than the futera card. If psa agrees to grade it i could post it in the most worthless card ever slabbed thread

Sachin Tendulkar 1992 Prosport

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    outstanding pickup Eagles.
  • Options
    Just got this back from bgs. Ive never seen a second of cricket and don't even get it but for some reason I really like this card. It's the most oddball of all my rookies I think

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I had ever seen a slabbed cricket card....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Ha.. Apparently this guy is the greatest cricketer of all time and a pretty big deal in india
  • Options
    I love the misc sports cards you pick up! Nice card!
  • Options
    I sent in one of my Eagles special today, a 1972 Panini of the Jackson Five.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Ah yes Michael Jackson's true rookie.. Predating his topps card by about 10 years. I actually remember seeing that card a few times while searching for panini cards. Convince psa to grade that 98 heroes of wrestling set and then we'll talk haha.
  • Options
    that ProSport looks great slabbed! And a follow up on mine - the Futera card is actually very difficult to find in hi-grade. I bought 25 of them over a year, sent in the best 5 I had, and got 2 6's, 2 7's and an 8. Centering's a bear, and I feel like this is what it felt like to collect Jordan cards in early 1987.
  • Options
    Just sold one of the 6's for $30 after listing it for two hours on ebay. Eagles, this is going to be a very hot card. Hold on to yours.
  • Options
    Wow.. I had no idea there was any demand for cricket cards. I have a psa 7 futera that I should throw on eBay.
  • Options
    Keep educating me on cricket cards guys!
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I picked these up at a Car Boot (flea market) in England when I lived there a few years ago. These are Cricket cards from the 1920's.

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    FromIndiaFromIndia Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have Cricket Cards from India for sale.Please contact.Thanks.
  • Options
    Are you looking for Cricket Cards? Please tell me.Thanks.
  • Options
    Could you turn on your pm?
  • Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Pm sent
  • Options
    For another tendulkar 1992. This one is from South Africa

1992 Total

• Options
    Do you have a scan of the back? Is the back in English?
  • Options
    Here is the back.

• Options
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Not the best example but the card was very hard to find. In fact this is the only one that I have been able to find