Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It has come time to sell my VIP halfpennies

I've decided to sell three of the four GB 1958 VIP Proof halfpennies I own. The question becomes which auction house/auction, to sell them through. Heritage is out of the question, they don't want them. Anyone know who's doing the NYC International auction? Is Stack's my best option?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I would say either Stacks or CNG at the NYINC auctions.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those are the only things being consigned, it's probably not viable going to auction, and I'd look to sell them privately instead.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Why would Heritage not be interested?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would Heritage not be interested? >>

Didn't give a reason. They told me to take it to local dealers. The local dealers around here would probably offer me $50 for each.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would Heritage not be interested?

Most likely, the person you spoke to doesn't know the coins or the market. After all, most modern proof coins of the era tend to be (more or less) crap.

As for my earlier comment, I said that because I figured the total value of the consignment would be too small to justify the paperwork, etc.

In any event, I'd expect Heritage to take the coins as part of a much larger consignment. You just might have to explain that these particular coins are valuable enough to be worth selling.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be looking at auction houses Don, because you are selling practically 4 identical coins, with slight differences in grade. Already a rather esoteric coin, I think that one example would be enough at any auction.

I'd try to consign the finest example that you're selling to NEN , and act accordingly after a while. And you can PM some dealers of this forum that will be doing the NYINC to see if they're interested.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You shouldn't be looking at auction houses Don, because you are selling practically 4 identical coins, with slight differences in grade. Already a rather esoteric coin, I think that one example would be enough at any auction.

I'd try to consign the finest example that you're selling to NEN , and act accordingly after a while. And you can PM some dealers of this forum that will be doing the NYINC to see if they're interested. >>

Excellent advice.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd in this case ship one of em to Jeremy K and have him ebay it for you.