Home Precious Metals
Options

thinking about buying some protection

need to add some metal to my collection i have it down to these two guns which would you pick and why

walther p22

springfield 9mm
POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they for CCW?

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    i am getting a permit to carry but mainly just for home protection
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Go with one that fits best in your hand and comfortable to shoot.

Personally I like the 45 cal semi auto guitarwes totesimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Got a pic
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
  • Options
    Can't find our conversation. I know it was a 15 round model. Look same style as your pictures.

Indy something like this one. 45 acp
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    I low it aswell I'm leaning toward the Springfield really like the look of them
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Walther and was eyeballing a P99 when I was shopping this year. They tend to be top-heavy to me in my hand.

Any thoughts to a Beretta px4 Compact? That's what I bought this year, shoots very nice (run about 1100 rds through it so far), 15rd clip in 9mm and small enough to CCW. Very light but doesn't beat your hand up shooting it like the subs can.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've handled the Walther at a few gun shows and I really like the feel, but the XD appears to have the same look and it probably has the same feel. Given a choice for the purpose you stated, I'd go with the 9mm, hands down.

I advise you to join NRA and subscribe to one of their magazines, "The Rifleman" being my choice. They review new models in every issue, and the more you read the more you will understand your own needs better. They also review the various types of ammunition, which in my understanding is at least as important as the delivery system.

A recent article about ammo discussed the "stopping power" of various ammos, and that is a critical consideration that includes both design (of the ammo), and calibre. A .22 is better than no gun at all, but it's stopping power may not be sufficient in various scenarios.

I was told that a shotgun is the best self defense gun for home, and I pooh-poohed that idea - until I got a short barrelled "home defense" shotgun and took it to the range. Case made.

A couple other comments -

I ended up getting a revolver as one of my home defense guns, simply because my fiancee's hands are small and not as strong as mine, which means that she has trouble pulling back the action on a semi-automatic.

Nothing is more important than getting some "hands-on" experience. By that, I mean a series of practice sessions where you can target practice and take your time getting used to the weapon. You shouldn't try to rush the process. Just approach gun ownership methodically and purposefully, and get to know a few other gun owners at the gun shop or range.

One last thought - the lighter and smaller the gun, when you upsize the calibre being fired it increases the kick - and it is harder to be more accurate at any distance. The heavier the gun and the longer the barrell, the easier it is to aim and shoot. The situation matters when you are talking about which type of gun is better. These are trade-offs that you have to consider for a home defense bedside gun vs. a CCW gun.

These days, I'm leaning away from the smaller calibre guns for either situation, and toward the slightly heavier & bulkier guns even for CCW but in the end, as I said - any gun is better than no gun at all. That .22 Walther probably aims & shoots just fine, btw. Are my arguments getting circular?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    I have the P22, it's nice , great feel to it, I also have the ruger sr22, almost the same.

maybe look at the S&W shield or there is a single stack XD that might be in a better caliber than .22, you want a larger caliber because of wall penetration. .22 has a much higher velocity than .380 and .45 calibers
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Like gsa1fan said, I tote a Springfield XD45 Service model with a 4" barrel in 45ACP. I have not had any experience with the XDm models. They are supposed to be more ergonomic or something than the XD models, I don't know. My XD fits nicely in my Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (inside waistband) holster for concealed carry. It holds 14 rounds of 45ACP, lots of heavy firepower which makes me feel a little more comfortable.

I would recommend going to a gun shop that has a range and try out different models of a caliber you like and see what fits in your hand and line of sight the best and go from there.

Here is a picture of a service model XD.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The 9 is light fast and goes through the walls for home. Get the 40 or 45.
    Or,
    For safety for home, a wheel gun is still a good choice. Cheaper too. 38/357 combo covers everything.

Both nice looking guns. Big pain on the east coast. Lenghty permit process, can't carry,
    can't even have in the car.
    COA
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For safety for home, a wheel gun is still a good choice. Cheaper too. 38/357 combo covers everything. >>

I agree. A double action revolver is easy to use for anyone and is what I keep in my bedside table. Ruger GP100 .357. Also cheaper to practice with using .38 ball ammo.

<< <i>Big pain on the east coast. Lenghty permit process, can't carry, can't even have in the car. >>

Where at on the east coast? They hand out CCW permits like candy in GA. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Springfield XD-M in 45 ACP. It is awesome.

I tend to favor the .40 SW or .45 ACP for a handgun round for self defense. Anything less gives the bad guy a chance that he doesn't deserve.

My carry guns are Glocks (Glock 23 in 40 SW and a Glock 30SF in 45 ACP).
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got a glock 40 as well and a glock 9 for back up. if i never use it then its money ill gladly waste image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For safety for home, a wheel gun is still a good choice. Cheaper too. 38/357 combo covers everything. >>

I agree. A double action revolver is easy to use for anyone and is what I keep in my bedside table. Ruger GP100 .357. Also cheaper to practice with using .38 ball ammo.

<< <i>Big pain on the east coast. Lenghty permit process, can't carry, can't even have in the car. >>

Where at on the east coast? They hand out CCW permits like candy in GA. image >>

$80 candy, ha!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like gsa1fan said, I tote a Springfield XD45 Service model with a 4" barrel in 45ACP. I have not had any experience with the XDm models. They are supposed to be more ergonomic or something than the XD models, I don't know. My XD fits nicely in my Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (inside waistband) holster for concealed carry. It holds 14 rounds of 45ACP, lots of heavy firepower which makes me feel a little more comfortable.

I would recommend going to a gun shop that has a range and try out different models of a caliber you like and see what fits in your hand and line of sight the best and go from there.

Here is a picture of a service model XD.

image >>

I didn't open this thread at first as I thought it was about safe sex. I'm with G Wes and Tim on this on this one. I liked all of the Springfield Service models. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd think about trying to find the gun you can shoot the best instead of the one you think looks the best IMO. Rent them at the range and try before you buy is my advice. Stick with a bonded round like the Federal HST, Win Ranger, or Spear Gold
    Dot to name the most popular.

Hand guns are wimpy in nature and fine for CCW or close quarters. Most shootings happen in low light so have a good set of night sights installed, take some training since shooting targets that don't move is very easy compared to someone moving or shoots back.

If you don't shoot much look into a good shotgun would be my advice.
  • Options
    i already have a 12 gauge but thats kinda big to monuver thru your house sadly there are no ranges in my area all the places you can buy guns they dont have anywhere to shoot i normally just take my shotgun out to my granfathers farm to practice with my shootgun
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
  • Options
    I didn't open this thread at first as I thought it was about safe sex.

It must've been a pretty good night.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry or have close a FNP-9 (open range, on property) and CZ Rami 9 (for CCW) ... 124 HST ammo for defense in both

My son LOVES his XDm though ... I haven't shot it yet, but did get to handle it last visit, and it feels quite nice

One thing I like about the 9's ... not too big, not too small ... plenty of punch ... easy return to POA ... and I practice, regularly (as in, inexpensive to shoot them). I wouldn't trade the FNP for anything if it ever came down to needing it.

This is all pretty OT ... but like others said, get out and rent a few different ones ... then buy what feels and shoots best for you. Forget looks, that wont matter. And practice regularly ... please ... a loaded weapon in an untrained hand is more dangerous than no weapon at all ... IMO

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Jmski52 made some pretty good points in his initial post.

The reason I asked about a CCW is because I too believe that there is a different gun for different occations.

If you don't feel like toating around something heavy, then the two guns in your original post would be fine CCWs being polymer frames, but the lower caliber means less stopping power.

For all around personal defence I prefer something stronger and heavier. As it was stated, heavier guns aren't going to rise as much making target aquisition much faster, and they just feel more solid.

And like others said too, it's really about the feel of the weapon too, A good way to get a good feel of different firearms is a gun show, and as you've probably seen in different threads silver can be had and bartered with (sometimes) at these events.

All this talk of guns and I just couldn't wait till this weekend to go to the range, so I went today... I took with me my two NEWPs, steel framed 9mm D.E. and the S&W .44 Magnum 8 3/8''

The 9mm being as heavy as it is had very little recoil and made target aquisition very easy with two short bursts within 3'' at 15 yards

The Magnum, with such a long barrel made for a cannon of a good time!

Jmski, believe it or not the .44 wasn't that bad with the long barrell, I am able to confidently shoot it with one hand. And it was super accurate also, I managed 2 out of 3 center headshots at 50+ yards. It still has plenty punch... but not a crazy amount of recoil as I thought it might.

Good luck on your search indiananationals, but I'd get my hands on a couple different ones before making a decision.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    The Magnum, with such a long barrel made for a cannon of a good time!

Jmski, believe it or not the .44 wasn't that bad with the long barrell, I am able to confidently shoot it with one hand. And it was super accurate also, I managed 2 out of 3 center headshots at 50+ yards. It still has plenty punch... but not a crazy amount of recoil as I thought it might.

Dang, that's about what I figured. That's a sweet gun, Luke. I saw one of the longer barrels (with scope) at the gun show, but the guy wasn't about to make a trade - because he didn't think he'd be able to get rid of my 6" gun very easily. Live and learn, but it has helped me understand more of the variables better. Plenty of punch is one way of saying it. Massive knockdown punch is another.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with a 44 mag for home defense is that it can penetrate walls and kill someone that you dodn't intend to kill. They can fire 44 Special loads which are more than adequate for home defense but are less likely to penetrate a wall.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Here's what I use in my .44 mag. This is a great home defense round and a great deal on a box of 50, about the performance of a .45 and in your gun less recoil than a .38.

Link........
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    If those are your choices, then the Springfield.
    Why? Decent caliber for HD, super reliable, nicely built, looks pretty too.

Buy a BUNCH (that means at least a case) of ammo and practice, practice, practice. I think I've read some posts here that makes me believe you are not a novice of firearms, so you know the importance of this statement.

OR just buy them both!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pistogrip 12 Gauge for home defense. Any perp sticking around after the first shot is dead or crazy.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pistogrip 12 Gauge for home defense. Any perp sticking around after the first shot is dead or crazy. >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't that leave an awful mess to clean up???

REAL Men carry COLTS image

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Real men don't need Colts. image

• Options

<< <i>pistogrip 12 Gauge for home defense. Any perp sticking around after the first shot is dead or crazy. >>

I have seen these at gun shows and always wondered how they actually handled. Short answer: Not well.

A much better solution is a 12ga pump with regular stock, 18.5" barrel, buckshot or PD load, mounted flashlight with thumb switch.
    -12ga Mossberg 500- cheap and reliable. Makes scary sound when racked.
    -regular stock-brace against your hip, between arm and body or at shoulder for support and control.
    -buckshot or PD load. Don't need a magnum shell at these ranges. There will be some home repair needed if used.
    -Flashlight-mounted with a thumb switch near the safety. Love these things. Do some shooting so you can get the shot pattern in the center of the circle of light at about 14'

Practice.
  • Options
    Post a link to those flash light for shotguns, Mission16~Pleaseimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Jmski, believe it or not the .44 wasn't that bad with the long barrell, I am able to confidently shoot it with one hand. And it was super accurate also, I managed 2 out of 3 center headshots at 50+ yards. It still has plenty punch... but not a crazy amount of recoil as I thought it might. >>

I was feeling left out, thinking I'm the only one who preferred revolvers over semis. But such results with a handgun? It's not all the gun, you must be a very good shot.

Remember: "Gun Control" means "use both hands".
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with mission-16. You do not want a 1-handed shotgun.

If you want a shorter gun, then cut the barrel, not the stock.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    pistol grip shotguns aren't one-handed guns. . . unless you are a real man. If that's the case you won't need a weapon for protection. image
    They are designed for close quarters use.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    As much as I like those semi-'s they jam too much for me. I would go with a revolver that is more reliable, you could even get a Taurus Judge that is a revolver that holds 410 buckshot for closeup.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of good alternatives suggested here, but you should find somthing
    your most comfortable with, I myself prefur the 45ACP, tryed and true
    and managable with some practice.

Remember GUN CONTROL is 1/2" Groupsimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>pistol grip shotguns aren't one-handed guns. . . unless you are a real man. If that's the case you won't need a weapon for protection. image
    They are designed for close quarters use. >>

That's what she thinks.image

Anyway same can be accomplished with a regular shotgun. And you can take for a walk in the woods once in awhile.

• Options

<< <i>Post a link to those flash light for shotguns, Mission16~Pleaseimage >>

I bought mine off eBay. It's a NEBO ProTec Elite Laser + Flashlight combo. Paid around $30 for it. Dicks Sporting Goods has them for about $50.
    I bought it for a HD carbine but decided I liked it on the shotgun better.

Note this does have a laser which was nice on the carbine but I just use the light on the shotgun.

Hope this helps!
  • Options

<< <i>pistol grip shotguns aren't one-handed guns. . . unless you are a real man. If that's the case you won't need a weapon for protection. image
    They are designed for close quarters use. >>

You are right about that. I didn't even TRY it one-handed. Two-handed was uncomfortable enough. Not painful to shoot or anything, just harder to control. I like being able to brace it on my body. With the 18'5" barrel, it is perfect for close-quarters.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with mission-16. You do not want a 1-handed shotgun.

If you want a shorter gun, then cut the barrel, not the stock. >>

Cutting the barrel is NOT recommended. Too short and get caught with it and you will more than likely end up in jail next to the dude who was robbing you.
    NFA (National Firearms Act) laws are some you DO NOT want to be breaking.
  • Options
    Don't knock a 9. In compact size to boot...if you can't get it done with 15 rds then you have a bigger issue to deal with than what you're prepping for with one weapon.
  • Options

<< <i>

I bought mine off eBay. It's a NEBO ProTec Elite Laser + Flashlight combo. Paid around $30 for it. Dicks Sporting Goods has them for about $50.

Note this does have a laser which was nice on the carbine but I just use the light on the shotgun.

Hope this helps! >>

Doesn't the flashlight make YOU a better target?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with mission-16. You do not want a 1-handed shotgun.

If you want a shorter gun, then cut the barrel, not the stock. >>

Cutting the barrel is NOT recommended. Too short and get caught with it and you will more than likely end up in jail next to the dude who was robbing you.
    NFA (National Firearms Act) laws are some you DO NOT want to be breaking. >>

Half the people on this forum asking about guns are in violation of many things. Why not add one more to the list? Know the rules, know the limits, of both your protection and yourself.

Keep em in the 10 ring.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hope this helps! >>

Doesn't the flashlight make YOU a better target? >>

Actually, the flashlight blinds the home invader/burglar giving the home owner a tactical advantage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hope this helps! >>

Doesn't the flashlight make YOU a better target? >>

Actually, the flashlight blinds the home invader/burglar giving the home owner a tactical advantage. >>

Only if it finds his eyes before he shoots at it.