Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Auburn Tigers Frank Thomas

Does anyone have info on this card? In the early 90's, the 1990 Leaf Thomas was flying and the 1987 BDK Pan-Am and the 1987 Baseball USA were also hi-flyers back then too. This Auburn one has a reported 5,000 sets produced according to some online blogs, yet i never heard of it back in the early 90s. I cant find it in the Standard Catalog now either. Is it really from 1987? Is it an unauthorized fantasy card? or is it a "past posted" card like the "1982" Glacier Pilots McGwire? Also it makes me cynical that no one on ebay has sold it along with a set. Very suspicious to make one card. I found the link below that says it was put out "around" 1989 by the athletic dept. Yet many auctions are calling it his "first"card and that it is from 1987. My gut says its a "past post" card that was produced when the 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas was going for $60+ in the early 90s. They are selling for big $$ and my gut says something just aint right.

Any other insight or experience with this card is much appreciated! Thanks!

1989-ish not 1987

Comments

• Options
    There's some good info here. link He says he has seen complete sets.
  • Options

<< <i>There's some good info here. link He says he has seen complete sets. >>

Not sure of that accuracy as he also says its his first card - which its technically not.

On a funny note anyone remember the Married with Children episode with Frank Thomas, Mike Piazza, Dave Winfield, Danny Tartabull, Joe Morgan and Brett Saberhagen? Funny episode!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    This is absolutely a legitimate set produced by McDag, much like the infamous Emmitt Smith Burger King card. It was distributed by the Opelika Police Department and at sporting events. The first 3 card set toward the end of 1986, and the last 16 card set after the spring of '87. It was created just prior to the release of the 1987 BDK Pan-Am Blue set. Side note, the Baseball USA set was actually printed in 1990 and says so on the reverse.

Uncut sheet with set number 1:

Complete set number two:

Graded Thomases:

imageimage

Signed copy with college era signature:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW those are very cool.

Love that Bo Jackosn at the bottom of the sheet too!

Frank Thomas was such a beast and I remember seeing him for the first time here in Orlando when he played for the Birmingham Barons and could not believe how huge he was.

When I completed the 1990 Best Glossy set and it started popping in the Becket Future Stars guide I thought I was rich! LOL That was such a cool set of cards at the time.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    David, I think they're awesome too.

To the OP, I want to clarify that my statements aren't from the McDag Company, Auburn University, or the Opelika Police department and could be pure conjecture. I'm confident they predate 1990 and that they are a legitimate issue; that said, my time line is based upon speaking to local collectors who claim to have obtained their cards prior to 1990.

edited to add: There is a lot of misinformation about this set; most collectors, including Beckett, believe the 1st 3 cards to be part of the 2nd issue, but they are most certainly not. At the time the first issue was printed, Frank Thomas had not played in a baseball game for the University.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have one of these that are looking to move one?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 9:44AM
  • Options

@JustMax87 said:
    I know this is an old post, but does anyone have one of these that are looking to move one?

Most recently I received a large baseball card collection from an Auburn graduate who graduated in the late 1980s. He passed away a couple of years ago and his wife gave me his collection a few months ago. In going through the collection I came across 2 1987 McDag Auburn Tigers Frank Thomas cards and other cards in the set. The 2 Thomas’s would grade 9 or higher I believe. I grew up in the Chicago area and a huge White Sox fan. I was ecstatic about the find! I may keep one and sell the other. I am getting them graded. I will post again when I get them back. I saw yesterday the card sold on Ebay in a auction for $282 with a crease on the card.

• Options

What are you thinking price wise for the one you're looking to sell?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭