Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Vezina SGC 9

Looks like a nice card? Any guess on how much it will go for

Vezina

Comments

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    "Literally a “wall” in the crease, Vezina led the league in fewest goals allowed seven times..."

No wonder he was so good - he was literally a wall. Never knew that.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Do the long winded write-ups actually help sell the card?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Advanced collectors surely realize the hobby’s world-class cardboard specimens continue to soar in value, with their escalated price tags rising with the force of an uncontrollable tsunami.

I like this line from the write up.

• One of my White Whales is this card. I hope to own a copy, any grade, sometime in my life.

Edit for spelling
  • thinking 250k
  • Hockey doesn't sell quite as well as baseball. Not sure if big money will be chasing this the way it chases rare baseball cards.
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This card has been discussed at length on the Vintage Hockey Collectors forum. Here is link to the 2006 discussion about this card.

It appears that the $100k investment in 2006 will pay dividends now.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    There's nothing like watching the best card for a certain collecting niche go up for auction. I think a card that's this high profile will get attention from the deep pocket baseball card collectors, as well as the hockey collectors.

As you've mentioned - I think the owner will end up doing very well on his 100K investment.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • I'll guess 135-175 range.

Anything over 200 would suprise me.
    Here's the card, btw...

Jeff
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>One of my White Whales is this card. I hope to own a copy, any grade, sometime in my life.

Edit for spelling >>

Unfortunately, it looks like your white whale is riding an uncontrollable tsunami.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Don't PSA 9's consistently fetch higher amounts than SGC 96? I would assume the owner of the card has already gone down that path and PSA couldn't give it a 9...
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll guess 135-175 range.

Anything over 200 would suprise me. >>

My guess is $325,000 before commission
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't PSA 9's consistently fetch higher amounts than SGC 96? I would assume the owner of the card has already gone down that path and PSA couldn't give it a 9... >>

Most people don't bother with crossovers. I know I didn't with my Sport Kings SGC 8.5, even though I needed the card for my PSA set. Just didn't want to pay the money to try to cross with such an abyssmal track record of attempted crossovers in the past.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't PSA 9's consistently fetch higher amounts than SGC 96? I would assume the owner of the card has already gone down that path and PSA couldn't give it a 9... >>

Most people don't bother with crossovers. I know I didn't with my Sport Kings SGC 8.5, even though I needed the card for my PSA set. Just didn't want to pay the money to try to cross with such an abyssmal track record of attempted crossovers in the past. >>

I've had a bunch of junk from PSA that didn't cross to SGC, either, so it goes both ways.

• << <i>

My guess is $325,000 before commission >>

Many thought the first Bobby Orr PSA 9 would fetch over 100k. It didn't even come close.

My guess is that this will have a rough time getting over 100k, and then see a spike at the end, as usual, but not that much.

Canadians don't go that crazy with their bidding, and the big wigs in the hockey hobby in the US don't go head over heels after this card.
  • Less then 7 days to go and holding at 80k.
    Seller paid 100k for the card.
    Best of luck to him.
    It looks like he'll at least break even with some nice late action.
    Hopefully there will be two strong bidders at the end.
    97K and some change. I'm honestly surprised it's not over a 100K yet. I'm anticipating some big after hours hits on it, though.
    Jeff
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    just read the 2006 link....interesting. not sure my missus would be too amused if i spent $100k of her inheritance on a sports card. i sure hope this works out for the guy. i assume he will get the full hammer price, having negotiated 0% commission on a card of this value.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Goodwin usually gives consignors the full sale price (the commission goes to Goodwin), so hopefully the consignor was able to get a piece of the premium on a card like this...
    Well, it finished just over $115,000. I was expecting it to go even higher. I'm guessing that number is the $97K plus the buyer's premium.
    Jeff
    It had 8 bids when it was still live so Jeff I think you are correct.

I wonder what kind of number they were quoting to him as an estimate.

<< <i>It had 8 bids when it was still live so Jeff I think you are correct.

I wonder what kind of number they were quoting to him as an estimate. >>

That's a good question. I think this card could have possibly performed better in a more publicized auction like REA. I could be wrong, but REA seems to get the cream of the crop consignments, as well as the highest bids. Regardless, I'm not a hockey collector - but I think this card is a good buy (even at 115K) for the long term.

Jeff
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Which was the better deal?

I'm not a grading expert, but that looks like a pretty soft 7 to me. Not sure if the SGC 9 would cross (I'd assume 8 or 8.5), but if you had the cash for either, I think the SGC is the better investment.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.