Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sept 14, 2012: 1+ Pieces of Gold!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
You're probably asking, "what does 1+ pieces of gold mean?" Here's the story...

Since I have over 20 days of accrued PTO built up at work, figured it was good to take a day off to do some detecting. Went to a park that I haven't hit before. It was SLOW going, with nothing really deep - only got a 1907 IHC, a 1930 Buffalo nickel, and two wheats. No silver coins! boooooo...

But, about an hour in the hunt got a 10k gold cross ring!! As soon as it came out, I thought it was junk, but upon cleaning, the 10k stamp showed itself. Weigh is 2.5 grams. So that's the 1 gold.

Now for the "+" portion. Was surprised to see an earring come out later in the hunt. Now it looked gold... but upon getting home the earring itself is 1/20 12k Gold filled, BUT, it looks like the inside are small gold flakes/nuggets. So, part of this earring contains solid gold. Tempted to break it open. Would you guys call this gold? Or what would it be classified as? Entire thing weighs 1.3 grams, so maybe the gold nuggets weigh .1 or .2 grams?

Video of the ring here: Link here - man I hate hearing myself talk on video

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go on the awesome hunt!

I think you're right about the gold flakes/nuggets in the earring, I've seen that style jewelry before.

It's finally starting to cool down a bit in my area, I think I'm gonna dust of the ole Detector and go get me a piece of the action!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds... and I do believe that is real gold in the earring.... I have seen such jewelry before. Super day... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What no silver??image What is you silver count now? I've said it before but your finds are just totally amazing!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>What no silver??image What is you silver count now? I've said it before but your finds are just totally amazing!!!!!!!!!image >>

Thanks PPC! Just lucky this year and hit some places that produced. Getting worried that silver won't show again. It's been almost two weeks since its come up. Stuck at 88 silver coins. 100 seems far out of reach now that it's getting dark earlier and the slower spots are opening up for detecting. Going to break that earring open and weigh the gold!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Now with the passing of our late and lamented friend phut, I think it's time to crown a new king.

I hereby nominate you the unofficial monarch of the MD Forum. Anybody second the motion? image

How do you find the time to get out so consistently? I used to go out three or four times a week, back in the early 1990s, but I was divorced and living alone and for a while, that was my sole activity outside of work and sleep. Eat, sleep, work, dig.

Life is a bit more complex for me now.

With fall fast approaching, though, it's probably time for me to unlimber the old detector (or maybe the Minelab I've never really broken in), and put the coil to the soil again.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like that gold ring for some reason. nice pick ups pcgs. wtg image
  • Options
    Nice dig!!!! What about the earring gold? 18K? Weight?

Where do you live PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow.

Now with the passing of our late and lamented friend phut, I think it's time to crown a new king.

I hereby nominate you the unofficial monarch of the MD Forum. Anybody second the motion? image

How do you find the time to get out so consistently? I used to go out three or four times a week, back in the early 1990s, but I was divorced and living alone and for a while, that was my sole activity outside of work and sleep. Eat, sleep, work, dig.

Life is a bit more complex for me now.

With fall fast approaching, though, it's probably time for me to unlimber the old detector (or maybe the Minelab I've never really broken in), and put the coil to the soil again. >>

Thanks for the comments LordM and everyone else!

My finds aren't even in the same class as what Phut has pulled out of the ground. I just took a look at some of his old threads - absolutely incredible. In a 2008 thread (Link) he had an early 1800s GOLD Posey (posie?) ring. Stunning, just a wonderful find.

I certainly wouldn't be able to fill those monstrous shoes he left as the "monarch of the forum". He made some spectacular finds.

Regarding your question....I guess you could say I'm at the same stage you were in during the early 90s - no gf right now (no ex wife either, haha), and other than some softball, metal detecting was my main activity after work this summer. Living by myself with no pets or anything like that. Eat, sleep, work, dig! Suppose it would be a good idea to find a girlfriend though...I became an "official old man" this year when the big THREE OH came.

You should definitely break out the Minelab this fall. You must have some great prospective sites in your area!

BTW, decided to break open that "nugget" earring to separate out the gold. Weight of the flakes/nuggets is .2 grams - so about $11 worth. Certainly better than a pull tab.

HH all, and please feel free to post your finds! We'd all love to look at them.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second Lordmarcovans motion. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with LordM...... Cheers, RickO