Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I submitted 2 ASE Coin and Currency sets and just got the grades in........

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well after a disappointing submission of three sets of 2012 Anniversary ASE 2 coin sets all came in at RPR/PR69's

I submitted two Coin and Currency sets and gotimage

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
1 1 26204235 514929 2012-S $1 Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set USA PR69DC
1 2 26204236 514929 2012-S $1 Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set USA PR70DC

Sooooo, should I sell the 70 score or keep for possible upside?

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do these look like? got a pic?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he was being facetious.

Some sprains are walkable if you go gently.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way I haven't seen any FS Flag holder ones for sale on EBay yet.
    And I remember reading here that only a hundred or so were submitted, does this sound right????

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I was able to look it up on Ebay. Does the $5 get grades as well? Or just the coin.

Hope your ankle heals quickly.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

<< <i>Okay I was able to look it up on Ebay. Does the $5 get grades as well? Or just the coin.

Hope your ankle heals quickly.

bobimage >>

PCGS only grades the coin and mails back the note.

<< <i>By the way I haven't seen any FS Flag holder ones for sale on EBay yet.
    And I remember reading here that only a hundred or so were submitted, does this sound right???? >>

that's what was posted, but it is of unknown reliability since it was also said that sealed boxes were no longer being accepted, but that is not true.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And I remember reading here that only a hundred or so were submitted, does this sound right???? >>

that's what was posted, but it is of unknown reliability since it was also said that sealed boxes were no longer being accepted, but that is not true. >>

Tons of NGC 70's with a PMG grade of 66 can be had for less than $130 per set.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    yes.

it is unfortunate that the currency part of this could not be handled such that both were graded as being from the C&C set.

Hmmmm.... did anyone ask the currency people if they'd still take the $5 and label it from the C&C set? I've been assuming they have asked and got shot down. perhaps that is just an incorrect assumption.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

that's what was posted, but it is of unknown reliability since it was also said that sealed boxes were no longer being accepted, but that is not true. >>

Congrats on your grades. And Since I was the one that reported they were not accepting anymore of these for first strike(Which is what I was told on the phone)That is why the rush to get them there by the 6th of Sept. May I suggest another person calling and asking if there still accepting these for First Strike, Otherwise I say the 135 sets sounds good to me..If you collect these I would say hang onto the 70 for now and when you do offer it up sell it with the bill and I think it might work out very well........Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    Well, it would be an unusual move to no longer take sealed boxes. I called and they said they would take sealed boxes. OTOH, there is a first strike cut off date and I have not checked what date that is.
  • I got my grades today. ( 2 ) Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set First Strike....wait for it... both graded PR69DC .
    This is kinda what I thought without getting to see the coins before sending them in, The odds are not really on you side to reel in a PR70DC .
    A wise person once said : It is , what it is . Now move along nothing to see here .

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I got my grades today. ( 2 ) Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set First Strike....wait for it... both graded PR69DC . >>

If the PR70 First Strikes from the C&C sets turn out to be very scarce, I think the PR69 First Strikes may wind up carrying a significant premium also.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i><< I got my grades today. ( 2 ) Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set First Strike....wait for it... both graded PR69DC . >>

If the PR70 First Strikes from the C&C sets turn out to be very scarce, I think the PR69 First Strikes may wind up carrying a significant premium also. >>

image The cutoff Date WAS Sept 6th so if they are still accepting sealed boxes from before the 6TH, I would still venture there isn;t many more of these that will carry the first strike CC Label. So even the 69's will do well. My set was received on the 5th so awaiting the results and even if its a 69 I will be happy. ( The one I sent back would not have made a 69) Pictures please when you get these in hand...............Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< I got my grades today. ( 2 ) Silver Eagle, Coin & Currency Set First Strike....wait for it... both graded PR69DC . >>

If the PR70 First Strikes from the C&C sets turn out to be very scarce, I think the PR69 First Strikes may wind up carrying a significant premium also. >>

image The cutoff Date WAS Sept 6th so if they are still accepting sealed boxes from before the 6TH, I would still venture there isn;t many more of these that will carry the first strike CC Label. So even the 69's will do well. My set was received on the 5th so awaiting the results and even if its a 69 I will be happy. ( The one I sent back would not have made a 69) Pictures please when you get these in hand...............Enjoy image >>

1tommy, what are they doing with the bills?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • "Well, it would be an unusual move to no longer take sealed boxes. I called and they said they would take sealed boxes. OTOH, there is a first strike cut off date and I have not checked what date that is."

Just got off the phone with PCGS. They will still except the sets for 1st Strike designation if in sealed box postmarked before Sept 6. 2012 Just so we are all clear on this
    Hey coinsponge, there suppose to send them back as its part of the set and they didn't charge any extra, just have to hope the bill is a cool number. Thats great news there going to keep accepting BOXES From the MINT postmarked before Sept 6. My Bet and just my OP. There is not going to be 100 more sets graded unless someone bought a bunch. The pops on these will be less than 250...........will see...........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• My question is why doesn't PCGS grade the currency??? Do they no longer have a currency departmen. I know they used to Ive seen bills grade by PCGS. I would figure they would grade them its more money in their pockets????
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey coinsponge, there suppose to send them back as its part of the set and they didn't charge any extra, just have to hope the bill is a cool number. Thats great news there going to keep accepting BOXES From the MINT postmarked before Sept 6. My Bet and just my OP. There is not going to be 100 more sets graded unless someone bought a bunch. The pops on these will be less than 250...........will see...........Enjoy image >>

Great. Thanks for the report. I think if the big marketers decided to sit this one out then you could see those lower numbers.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Anyone know the NGC numbers???
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is why doesn't PCGS grade the currency??? Do they no longer have a currency departmen. I know they used to Ive seen bills grade by PCGS. I would figure they would grade them its more money in their pockets???? >>

PCGS Currency is no longer affiliated with Collectors Universe, the parent company of PCGS (the coin grading firm). This split happened a couple of years ago.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know the NGC numbers??? >>

2012-s PR70UC's = 40 of 302
  • << Anyone know the NGC numbers??? >>

2012-s PR70UC's = 40 of 302

Are these just the early Release and First release numbers or total graded?

Also What the heck is the real difference between NGC Early Releases and NGC First releases just wondering???

Thanks in advance

Shannon Wyatt
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    No clue why the numbers are what they are....zero RP's graded?? I think not ....

Re: ER vs. FR...zero difference...collector's choice of words on the label....same criteria
    Pop report Just in.......Pcgs has now graded 115 sets at 69 and 30 at 70. Total 145 sets so far.........Not many 70's and with these numbers not to hopeful for my one blind set...........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• PCGS POPs announced for for all 2012s PF and RP ASE's and the 2012s PF C&C Set 2012s PF that have been graded and shipped from the beginning until this past Friday. Here goes, I track PF 70's only and the totals and then the % of 70"s.

2012s PF 75th Anniv. 70's = 3,548 out of a total of 10,701. 70's % remain 33% from last week.

2012s Rev. PF. 75th Ann. 70's = 3,689 out of a total of 10,877. 70's remain 34% from last week.

2012s PF from the Coin & Currency Set 70's = 30 out of a total of 145. 70's is at a whopping 21%. And many thought that the quality of the two-coin 75th Anniv. Sets were junk !!

The 70's Pops are becoming Interesting ........

Specialized Investments
    The C&C Set coin is on track to have the lowest First Strike mintage *BY FAR* for proof Silver Eagles, and possibly for burnished and business strikes also.

The current champ is the 2007 business strike with a population of 61 MS70 First Strikes. This coin sells in the $2,000 range.

The lowest population proof and reverse proof PR70 First Strikes have populations in the mid to upper triple digits.

Add the fact that the 2012-S is the second lowest mintage standard proof in the series (after the 1995-W), and I think we have a winner.

Will the Mint release the final sales numbers on the 2012-S coins by the end of this year? I won't be surprised to see the RP at 225k and the proof at 275k. That proof number along with the low 70 ratio will make it a home run! I think we're looking at $200 on 69s and $400 on 70s by the end of the year.

• drei3ree, What you you think the prices will be in the future for the 2012s PF Coin & Currency PF 69 and PF70 FS's if their PCGS Pops continue to be low? There is one C&C PF 70 FS on Ebay for $299, delivered. The same Ebay seller has sold 7 PF 70's already. One Ebayer with the Ebay bidder ID of: e***j won the first five 2012s FS PF70 coins that this Ebay seller put up on Ebay. I want to say "e" is someone we know but that is simply fiction.
    Specialized Investments
    The value "should" be the same for all 2012-S, but we know the label chasers will have to have one each of the 75th & C&C in PR70DC 1st Strike. If the C&C FS 70 pop is 1/20th of the 75th, I wouldn't be surprised to see the market value (2-3 years from now) at 10X the 75th (just speculation).
    A difference in a label can make a big difference in price:

2006-W Silver Eagle PCGS PR70, around $90.
    2006-W Silver Eagle PCGS PR70 *20th Anniversary* label (from 3-coin set), around $140.

The 20th Anniversary label coins outnumber the regular label coins by a 3-1 margin, but still command a 50% premium.

And:

2006-W burnished Silver Eagle PCGS MS70, around $225.
    2006-W burnished Silver Eagle PCGS MS70 *20th Anniversary* label (from 3-coin set), around $825.

The regular label coins outnumber the 20th Anniversary label coins by a close 8-7 margin, but the 20th Anniversary label coins are worth 3.5 times as much. That's the power of a label!

what serial # did you get on the 5'er ?

<< <i>what serial # did you get on the 5'er ? >>

Sorry, don't understand? The other one graded a 69.
    Is that what your asking?

did you get a fancy serial number on the $5 bill ?

• Just wondering, in the August 28th sales report, 33K sets had sold so far (most if not all shipped well before the cut off Sept 6th). What's to keep more of these from getting graded later on (sealed boxes)? If some people ordered several sets and still boxed, wouldn't they consider grading if the return was potentially 5-10 times? And the dealers who ordered multiples, why wouldn't they submit some to both grading companies? Seems there is still lots of time for the pop numbers to go up, granted maybe only 25% 70.

<< <i>did you get a fancy serial number on the $5 bill ? >>

They started with 150,xxx,xxxx and do on to commorate the
    150th Anniversary. I will see if I feel good enough to take pics of the
    bill as I sprained my ankle and in severe pain.

if that's as fancy as they get, heh, I wouldn't take pictures with a good ankle. imageimage

<< <i>Just wondering, in the August 28th sales report, 33K sets had sold so far (most if not all shipped well before the cut off Sept 6th). What's to keep more of these from getting graded later on (sealed boxes)? If some people ordered several sets and still boxed, wouldn't they consider grading if the return was potentially 5-10 times? And the dealers who ordered multiples, why wouldn't they submit some to both grading companies? Seems there is still lots of time for the pop numbers to go up, granted maybe only 25% 70. >>

image But as one of the dealers here already said they sent all theres in across the street, and most folks who wanted first strike sent them in already, once the mints box is opened they are no longer First strike eligble, so by now I would have to guess there will not be many of these sealed boxes from the mint. Will be fun to see what happens and the final pops on the set. Plus if you do get a Fancy note number it could help the price in the end.........Hope your ankle feels better. and I am hoping to see my one set graded this week...............Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

<< <i>if that's as fancy as they get, heh, I wouldn't take pictures with a good ankle. imageimage >>

image yep, that's as fancy as it gets. After all how fancy
    can they get with a basic serial number on a bill.....other than if
    it was a star note.... Then I would be all over that oneimage

15000000 - 1500####

and people would kill themselves trying to find 15000000, 15000150 and 15000051

<< <i>Just wondering, in the August 28th sales report, 33K sets had sold so far (most if not all shipped well before the cut off Sept 6th). What's to keep more of these from getting graded later on (sealed boxes)? If some people ordered several sets and still boxed, wouldn't they consider grading if the return was potentially 5-10 times? And the dealers who ordered multiples, why wouldn't they submit some to both grading companies? Seems there is still lots of time for the pop numbers to go up, granted maybe only 25% 70. >>

Here's why I expect the population of C&C Set PR70 First Strikes to remain low:

Number of 2011 Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary sets in sealed boxes available on eBay: 61.

Number of 2012 Silver Eagle 75th Anniversary sets in sealed boxes available on eBay: 57.

Number of 2012 Coin and Currency sets in sealed boxes available on eBay (drum roll): **ZERO!!**

This set went under the radar and apparently very few FS eligible boxes were saved. IMO.

• << <i>

image But as one of the dealers here already said they sent all theres in across the street, and most folks who wanted first strike sent them in already, once the mints box is opened they are no longer First strike eligble, so by now I would have to guess there will not be many of these sealed boxes from the mint. Will be fun to see what happens and the final pops on the set. Plus if you do get a Fancy note number it could help the price in the end.........Hope your ankle feels better. and I am hoping to see my one set graded this week...............Enjoy image >>

Good luck - hope you get your 70, your posts have helped create some interest in these!

<< <i>15000000 - 1500####

and people would kill themselves trying to find 15000000, 15000150 and 15000051 >>

Well, I hobbled over to the computer and took some images of the bills.......nothing special....At least it gave me something to do instead of thinking about the painimage

• << <i>

Here's why I expect the population of C&C Set PR70 First Strikes to remain low:

Number of 2011 Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary sets in sealed boxes available on eBay: 61.

Number of 2012 Silver Eagle 75th Anniversary sets in sealed boxes available on eBay: 57.

Number of 2012 Coin and Currency sets in sealed boxes available on eBay (drum roll): **ZERO!!**

This set went under the radar and apparently very few FS eligible boxes were saved. IMO. >>

Good point. Have read on various forums a number of 2011 25th sets are being squirreled away in the sealed boxes for the future. But as you say, these maybe not so much - they got dissed when the Mint pulled it's little trick of releasing extra s proofs after the counter went away on the 75th sets.
    Love those Bills. Thanks for the pictures. Was wondering if the 2 sets you got were in a row and see there not even close except for the first 150. Still there could be some weird numbers out there. I did my best to promote these, but even I failed in buying alot of these. Money is tight and at 75 bucks a set I figured 2 was it, still bummed I sent the other back but hope the one I did send in didn't look like the one I sent back. Its funny not even 1 sealed set on ebay, and I still have 2 sealed boxes of the 25th Anniversary sitting in the closet. image

Link to My Registry Set.

you must have really done a number on the ankle if it hurts that much.

I hope you're taking the NSAIDs

<< <i>Love those Bills. Thanks for the pictures. Was wondering if the 2 sets you got were in a row and see there not even close except for the first 150. Still there could be some weird numbers out there. I did my best to promote these, but even I failed in buying alot of these. Money is tight and at 75 bucks a set I figured 2 was it, still bummed I sent the other back but hope the one I did send in didn't look like the one I sent back. Its funny not even 1 sealed set on ebay, and I still have 2 sealed boxes of the 25th Anniversary sitting in the closet. image >>

Yes, I ordered the two sets at the same time and noticed the bills were not even close. I guess that comes from a different area?
    I too was thinking to order four sets but thought.....hmmmmm, had a bad experience last year and this year with grades so maybe I will keep having bad luck and only ordered two.
    Now I wish I ordered four......but as they say hind sight is 20/20....image

<< <i>you must have really done a number on the ankle if it hurts that much.

I hope you're taking the NSAIDs >>

Well, not to make me sound older than I am I must admit I did not twist my ankle. Rather it is gout, an older persons sicknessimage
    At least that's how I see itimage

The immunosuppressive pills that I am taking for the kidney transplant i known to cause it. This is the first time after ten years it has shown up
    and I must say.......it is the most excruciating pain and attacked the entire right foot. It flared up Thursday and only today can I put some pressure on the foot.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file