Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think I just cherrypicked a $525.00 Danish coin out of a bulk lot. (Post-eBay update added)

More on this later. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If so, then maybe you can get a caligula or portrait caesar upgrade image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If so, then maybe you can get a caligula or portrait caesar upgrade image >>

Only if I get full catalog for this coin.

Which I doubt will happen. Still, if I got half the catalog price, I'd be delighted.

Not bad for a 25-cent purchase. Reminds me of why I became a Darksider.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Now -how do we give a "you suck award" to the man who invented it???
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Oh, no, I didn't invent the "You Suck" award. I think that one predates my tenure here.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image man, image.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image man, image. >>

The Shroom is onto something here.
  • Options
    Stand by. My satellite connection is running like molasses this evening.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    too good to be true it most likely is.... then again every once in a while....
  • Options
    Don't believe me, eh, Frank? image

OK, fine. We'll see.

But yeah, you could be right. I'm not totally sure. Sometimes I've had these "Eureka" moments where the heart skips a beat, only to find I'm looking at the wrong subtype or variety, or a Krause error, or whatever. image

Here are the pix. My scanner made the coin look ATROCIOUS, so I used ladymarcovan's camera. Sorry for the focus issues. I zoomed in on the date and mintmark area with the scanner.

In hand, this coin has nice glossy surfaces, and dang me if I wouldn't call it a nice AU, at least details-wise. The surfaces aren't perfect, though, and there are some color issues. (Rub on the high points and uneven coloration on the reverse.)

This from 6th Edition (2009) Krause. Looks like I have the key date for the type.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Cool find. Did you know what it was when you picked it out? Or did you discover your pick when you got home and looked it up. Looks like the whole series is worth substantially more than a quarter
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    nice!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

Looks like one sold for $230 just over a year ago at Heritage, a PCGS AU50.
  • Options
    I knew what it was, and had a vague sense that it might be something nice because of the grade, but had no idea of the catalog value nor the apparent fact that it's the key date.

This wasn't the only nice Danish piece, either. There was another 2-Ore of this type and two 5-Ore pieces, as I recall, and some of them had cat values in the high two figures.

I hit a couple of nice Belgian pieces in this same lot. One has an apparent cat value of $120. I've come across a few $40, $60, $80 coins, the two over $100 so far, and the best part is, I'm only up to the "E" countries in my lookups! I just started on Finland and France, so on into the "F" countries, next!

There could be other pleasant surprises to come.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, you definitely "suck" image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Looks like a winner.

Congrats!

You do "suck" lol!
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome that it went to a great guy!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Even a blind metal detectorist can find a pulltab every now and again. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Now what?

Slab it?

Or sell it raw on eBay? Would probably use eBay in any event, because I'm sure this coin's next owner is probably in Denmark.

I think I'll get a toothpick or rose thorn and gingerly remove some more of the dirt deposits on the reverse, and maybe use some sulfur-vaseline paste to try and darken up the lighter rubbed areas a bit. Not a major doctoring, but a little TLC.

• Options
    Post-eBay update:

Hey, not bad, huh? image

It didn't fetch Krause XF money, but I didn't expect it to. It closed at about the level where I thought it would. Not surprisingly, it's on its way back to Denmark.

Not a bad cherrypick, for 10 or 25 cents or whatever I paid for it, eh? (Found it in a 25-lb. bulk sack, as I may have mentioned).

Guess this one goes down in the books for my best cherrypick of 2012.

(August 2013 update: since I didn't mention the closing price here, and the eBay listing has ceased to exist, it was $212-something, as I recall. Not bad for a bulk bag cherrypick.)

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the find Rob and on a tidy sale. image
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    excellent sign it's going back home!!!

..... funny when I my mini french gold "set" (back when gold was "cheap") it invariably went back to europe...good stuff.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>excellent sign it's going back home!!!

..... funny when I my mini french gold "set" (back when gold was "cheap") it invariably went back to europe...good stuff. >>

It is also the case with Chinese coins and currency. It is amazing to me at how fervently Chinese collectors are buying back their antiquities. -Dan
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So true. Two years ago I cherrypicked a Chinese pattern for $4 and sold on eBay for $150 ... to a Chinese dude. And he didn't live near a big city either, he was deep in a western province.

GEEZUS, Rob you are the greatest at cherrypicking next to my fellow Atlantan, Bill Fivaz ... and dare I say you might even be greater than him because we all know that darkside is more vast and complex than US imageimage

imageimageimageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I attribute a lot of my luck to the fact that I'm a "player of pawns", so to speak. In other words, I take the time to dig through lots of low-value stuff to find the occasional good cherrypick. Though lightning doesn't strike very often, when one goes through a big enough volume of stuff, once in a while magic happens. Not everyone has the time or inclination to do that.

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I would just like to look through a 25 lb sack of coins with the hope that everything of value wasn't already cherrypicked out of there. I would be kept busy for days. Which would be awesome.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice......image

Hoard the keys.