Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Long Beach Expo

Has anyone ever been? To me, it seems like it is 98% coin dealers and 2% card dealers....but PSA is going to be there with some of the "Black Swamp" collection.

Just wanted to see if it would be worth driving up there from San Diego.

Comments

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to the last one and plan on going Friday afternoon. I live about 20-25 miles away, so it's not that far of a drive. I purchased a good amount of unopened material the last time I was there, but I would have to agree with you that there is not too many card tables. I hope that it is going to continue to grow and that is part of the reason I am going, so I can support the "cause." I am also submitting some cards for review at PSA and buying some card stands, so with the free entrance being a CU member it is worth it to me. The "Black Swamp" find is just an added bonus!
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    That's a long up and back drive into the crazy LA traffic just to be disappointed. You'd likely do better attending the next show up in Glendale.
    Maybe PSA senses this and is why they keep pushing free admish?
  • Options

<< <i>That's a long up and back drive into the crazy LA traffic just to be disappointed. You'd likely do better attending the next show up in Glendale.
    Maybe PSA senses this and is why they keep pushing free admish? >>

pclpads, do you know when the next show in Glendale is going down?
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Here's there web addy:

Diamond Star Sports Cards

www.diamondstarsportscards.com

The last one was mid-April. No future shows listed.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's there web addy:

Diamond Star Sports Cards

www.diamondstarsportscards.com

The last one was mid-April. No future shows listed. >>

I would agree that the Glendale show is way better than the Long Beach Coin Show, but I've been receiving emails from a local dealer who is setting up at Long Beach and was told that there will not be a fall show at Glendale this year.
  • Options
    radmanradman Posts: 89 ✭✭
    I believe that the Glendale show is being moved to Anaheim (excuse the oxymoron), and will be held next in January
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that the Glendale show is being moved to Anaheim (excuse the oxymoron), and will be held next in January >>

That would be awesome! So much closer to me.

I'll be at the Long Beach show tonight, I'll be wearing my new Trout jersey!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that the Glendale show is being moved to Anaheim (excuse the oxymoron), and will be held next in January >>

That would be awesome! So much closer to me.

I'll be at the Long Beach show tonight, I'll be wearing my new Trout jersey! >>

Have fun, if you can, give us a recap of the show!
  • Options
    Made it to the show today. Took my two boys and my brother (to help). I went directly to the PSA booth to get the Gold Membership and sub my 6 cards. The show is by far a COIN show, but I did think that the card portion has grown since the last time. Maybe 10-15 tables, maybe.
    Most of the tables had vintage, there was one table that had a bunch of Ruth autos and modern patch stuff of Ruth and other greats, but no modern players. Memory Lane had at least 4 Ruth on ball autos that looked outstanding. The guy wouldn't let me play catch with my son, oh well, I tried.
    I was looking for a 52 Bowman Musial to complete my Basic Registry, but no one had one. I ended up at a table of a lady who sets up at Frank & Sons every week. I felt that I needed to purchase something, so I purchased a 73 Aaron PSA 8. Nice card, and since I purchased it today, I now have to start the Aaron Basic Registry too.
    I really want the card portion of the show to continue to grow, so if you are in the area, stop by and check out the Black Swamp find (BTW, they are immaculate, the Cobb PSA 9 was gorgeous but they wouldn't let me hold those either!) and support the card dealers.
  • Options
    I believe there will no longer be a Glendale show. There will be a show in Anaheim in January I was told. I did go to Long Beach on Thursday and there are only about 10-12 tables for cards and the other member was correct, only one table with modern. It is a show for coins and stamps. I do wish more locals would attend these card shows so we can get more in the future.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>I believe there will no longer be a Glendale show. There will be a show in Anaheim in January I was told. I did go to Long Beach on Thursday and there are only about 10-12 tables for cards and the other member was correct, only one table with modern. It is a show for coins and stamps. I do wish more locals would attend these card shows so we can get more in the future. >>

+1
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Went today, only a few tables set up with cards and pretty typical stuff, but it was nice for PSA to provide free admission to registry members.
    Submitted 3 invoices worth of cards (some regular and a bunch of odd issue/sizes) and the woman that wrote me up, Sonia, was incredibly helpful.
    Hopefully the show builds a bit.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone going to the Long Beach show in early Feb?
    Mike
  • Options
    I'll be there on the Thursday. I just got my buddy to start up again. Wants to complete the Steve Garvey Basic Registry.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'm going too but I have no illusions about it being a card show. I'm really just going to do a couple of subs in person.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    A few of the guys that set up at the Anaheim (a few weeks ago) said they'd be setting up at the Long Beach Expo. Hopefully it continues to grow!

Justin
  • Options
    Great - I'm heading out on Thursday as well. Never been to this show before, but I was planning to sub as well.
    Mike
  • Options
    Going tonight with my buddy and our kids to the card show.

I'll be wearing my Musial throwback and he will be wearing his Kofax.

Hope to have some fun!!!
  • Options
    will be there saturday getting a magic sig.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I believe Memory Lane is going to have six or seven T206 Wagners on hand. That would be cool to see. I may try to get up there. Last time I went, I bought one thing - Tahitian pearl necklace that took a lot of cash. The downside to bringing your SO with you to the show! Hah.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe Memory Lane is going to have six or seven T206 Wagners on hand. That would be cool to see. I may try to get up there. Last time I went, I bought one thing - Tahitian pearl necklace that took a lot of cash. The downside to bringing your SO with you to the show! Hah. >>

Here is the best of the Wagner's:

They had a whole bunch on display, I want to say 7-9 total, as well as Wagner's only known home jersey.

I brought my son, my buddy and his daughter. The kids had a great time, the dealers were really great. One dealer gave my son a huge lot of modern stars still in the nine slot pages, another dealer gave my son an unopened pack of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (he was carrying a Ninja Turtle action figure), and my buddies daughter received a free pack of some type of princess cards.

My buddy just started collecting again and his first focus is Steve Garvey, which was his boyhood idol. He purchased one to get submitted. I picked up a '56 Hank Aaron and also put that towards the 10 cards that we submitted. And now I start the waiting game.....30 days....

Overall, the card portion of the show is getting bigger each time I go. Mostly vintage, one table with mostly modern. A guy had a cool rack pack of '82 Topps with Ripken on top, same guy had a bunch of unopened boxes...nothing near BBCE, but still cool.

Had a great time. I'll be there next time it's in town.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Man I am bummed I am missing this. I would definitely be in line for Magic and West autographs. I just moved from Southern California to Washington and I would have flown back this weekend if I would have planned better (I have plane tickets to go back to CA for next Tue). Haven't been to a card show in years but I will definitely be there next year. Looking forward to seeing pictures and reports from people who go.
    Steve
  • Options
    What's a card show, lol, especially in LA.

-I use to go to a lot of shows in LA in the early 90's as a kid. Long Beach, the shrine auditorium, pomona!, those were fun. The LA convention center.

I'm really surprised there have been any shows in the last 3-6 years. It seems like they would have gone the way of slide rules, 8 track stereos, etc.

The coin portion of the long beach show always kind of intimidated me as a kid. The dealers seemed much more serious and business minded than the card dealers.
  • Options
    I went today and it was 8 Wagners:

2- authentic
    2- PSA 1
    2- PSA 2
    1-PSA 4
    1- PSA 5mc

The show is really small as far as cards. It is about 98% coins and 2% cards. Still glad to have something here in local to LA. They are going to do this show again in June and September.

Also, in May there will be a Culver City show. Once again not great, but if we do not support them a little bit, there will be zero again soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'll definitely do Culver City. For a show that's mostly coins, Long Beach is a bit of a drive from the Valley when it's perfect weather to play golf.
  • Options
    I went yesterday to submit to PSA and BGS. PSA had more people working there but a couple of people were just standing around. The BGS guy was pretty cool, we chatted about the company. I think they are about to make major push in their grading services. They are staffing up, it looks like Beckett is going all in for grading.

This is a coin show with a few sports geeks let in. I always thought our hobby had a few strange people in it, but after looking at the coin crowd, I can safely say that we only have the second wierdest bunch at best.

The card dealers were a mix of big names and local dealers. I think the big boys were just there to get consignment stuff for auctions. I see that Elgin Baylor decided to clean out his house and start selling his stuff.

I didn't buy anything. I almost pulled the trigger on two 1952 Topps Reprint sets until I saw how poor the print quality is for those sets. Also when a dealer has cases of graded cards and one case of raw, do you wonder what is wrong with the raw cards? I saw a few nice raw cards of HOFers, but I kept thinking if these cards are any good why aren't they graded? Everything else they have is graded.
    Mike