Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1668 Holstein-Gottorp Wedding Medal

I saw this one float on ebay over the holiday weekend and ended up pursuing and paying a heftier amount. Clearly I did it the wrong way of buying first without proper research yet this is probably not the last time. Took this medal for one reason - the beautifuly captured scene on both obverse and reverse showing the artist's effort to capture the bond and intimacy (and near kiss) between bride and groom (Holstein-Gottorp Royal Wedding Medal) . Such intimate scene doesn't often show in such 17th century material. While bidding I could not do any research on the piece/price as I simply could not find any similar sale record.

Medal doesn't have a date or anything that identifies the couple/event (at least from a first glance). From WIKI below, the closest wedding date for the Royal family was 24 October 1667 when Christian Albert married Princess Frederica Amalia of Denmark, daughter of King Frederick III of Denmark and Sophie Amalie of Brunswick-Lüneburg. LINK from WIKIPEDIA

Any help in helping identify this medal is appreciated - what are the Lange numbers (Lange-366)? Also, were these made in limited quantities to commemorate the event and handed out to family/friends at the time?

Thanks in advance.

Comments