Home Metal Detecting
Options

Good start to September: 6 Silvers and a Flying Eagle cent!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Had today free so I went to a field that's looked pretty tempting. First I had to finish up a small park... which unfortunately yielded nothing. Got to the small field and within the first 2 minutes, three silver dimes came out! Started with a merc, 2 inches over - a 2nd merc, then a silver Roosie a foot or so over. Thought it was going to be a 30 silver day after that, haha. Things did slow down, but still got some goodies. A little bit into the hunt I got a repeatable, but not too solid high tone. Decided to dig and was surprised to see a Barber dime come out. Does it have a small clip on the planchet??

A while later an unsuspecting dime signal appeared. But what came out was a seated dime!!! AND I DIDN'T EVEN MANGLE THIS ONE! A couple minutes later a WTN showed up. That makes 80 silver coins for the year.

Also got 5 Indian Head cents, 5 wheat cents, and... wait for it... an 1858 Flying Eagle cent! Only my second ever. She's not in the best condition, but at least the obverse can be identified. What a surprise.

Today's haul:

1858 FE Cent
5 IHCs - 1903, 1880?, 1899, 1897, 1900? (wish they held up better in this ground)
5 Wheats - 1912?, 1944, dateless, 1940, 1940
Dateless Buffalo Nickel
1944-P Wartime Nickel
1876-S Seated Dime
1909-O Barber Dime
1942, 1944 Mercs (keep hoping it'll be a 42/1 one of these days)
1952-D Roosie
Cool skeleton Key with the letter "V"

Don't mind the date on the images... couldn't get the phone to focus so broke out the regular camera... but the battery died and reset the date.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow very cool. nice haul on the silver dimes. That key is pretty trippy too.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow very cool. nice haul on the silver dimes. That key is pretty trippy too. >>

Thanks!

On Treasurenet, someone posted this about the key:

"That Key is for a Victrola. an old gramaphone. They are turn of the century/older. Victrola was a big name. I sold lots of those actually at my previous place. (antiques) They are really awesome. They are the old record players, only before records. They come in "table top" or full settings. Look up Victrola gramaphones. That is the key you found. really neat. atleast 90 years old i assume, but it could be from a newer model etc. (70 years) but yea. its a nice old key. neat to find, considering its an old "stereo key"

Pretty neat. Also about the Barber dime on the U.S. coin forum. Consensus is it's PMD, and not a clip. Told them I still got it for a good price :-).
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul, wish I could find a field like that!
  • Options
    nice finds!!!
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds. you gonna soak that flying eagle for a while? let us know how it turns out image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how much clad did you find mixed in with all that silver?

Shall we start your second silver contest to see when you will hit the "century" mark for the year. You notice I said "will" and not "if".

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome day...that is one great site.... Cheers, RickO