Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you guys ever seen a better 27-S WLH than this?

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is definitely nicer than the one I own, but I have seen ones I thought are nicer (from an aethestic, eye appeal standpoint anyway).

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Well, it is definitely nicer than the one I own, but I have seen ones I thought are nicer (from an aethestic, eye appeal standpoint anyway). >>

Thanks, so much for the input but how do you mean more specifically?

Also, I apologize, if I came across as too prideful but I just love the STRIKE and surfaces of this piece!

• Options
    Please keep the comments coming. Thx.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the best AU58 I've seen and I actually added it to my cart and mailed the dealer out a check... Only to have my check returned as someone else beat me by 5 minutes image

Cert Verification Pics

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    This one's a 64 but I paid nearly 65 money for it at the FUN SHOW in January 2011----it got ALOT of attention. I like it more than MANY 65s that I've seen to date.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need better images just for the fact, the surfaces look "dead" in the image posted IMHO.
  • Options

Coin is dripping frost.......better than most. I would never trade it for another. Tough crowd.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin is dripping frost.......better than most. I would never trade it for another. Tough crowd. >>

Since it sounds like this will be a long term keeper... You might want to keep an eye on the left side of the obverse and top of the reverse.

It looks to me like dip residue that's darkening as it was properly neutralized.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably just the image, sorry for my comment about being "dead". image
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a date I have really focused on (I'm still working on the 1930's). Nice looking coin. Looks like a nice strike. I suspect it looks even nicer in hand than the somewhat overexposed photos make it look.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

<< <i>It's probably just the image, sorry for my comment about being "dead". image >>

No problem.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coin is dripping frost.......better than most. I would never trade it for another. Tough crowd. >>

Since it sounds like this will be a long term keeper... You might want to keep an eye on the left side of the obverse and top of the reverse.

It looks to me like dip residue that's darkening as it was properly neutralized. >>

Thanks. Those tiny spots are indiscernable at best and are stable. No worries there.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the image, it looks very nice for an MS64. Maybe something going on with the jaw kept it out of a 65 holder. Otherwise, it looks very clean and luster looks good. This is a tough date to find a nice strike.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and ownership does tend to add a point, but my 27-S is one of my favorites in my collection. As good a photographer as Todd is, this coin is even better in hand:

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT one is one of the best I've ever seen.
    The Jack Lee coin I believe was a mostly white blazer, with perhaps a slightly better strike, also in a 66 holder.
    That was many years ago (15 yr+?) and don't know if it is still in the same holder or not.
    I have seen a couple with very nearly full strike/full thumb, but had some other surface impairments that kept them from the
    mega-grades. I've also seen some blazers with nice peripheral toning, but weak central details.
    An interesting date for sure - certainly not 'rare' in MS, with conservatively >400 have been certified in MS64 and up (keeping it low
    as I'm sure some are resubmissions).
    Mint state coins undoubtedly outnumber nice AU's by a considerable margin. The coin Broadstruck posted is certainly a condition rarity coin!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Based on the image, it looks very nice for an MS64. Maybe something going on with the jaw kept it out of a 65 holder. Otherwise, it looks very clean and luster looks good. This is a tough date to find a nice strike.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and ownership does tend to add a point, but my 27-S is one of my favorites in my collection. As good a photographer as Todd is, this coin is even better in handimage]

Your coin is beautiful, no doubt. It has tremendous color and eye appeal. I do like the strike of mine a bit better, though, which is what I really like about my coin, as this issue is almost always poorly struck. This issue is also generally mildly to moderately abraded. Both of these coins have very good surface preservation, as well. IMHO.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both the ms-64 and ms-66 are lovely coins!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes- I saw a raw example hammer for 10K that was better

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    those NGC walkers are nice and so is the pcgs one
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks nice image
  • Options

<< <i>both the ms-64 and ms-66 are lovely coins! >>

Thanks! I agree!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice half for a lot of reasons but the spots would trouble me.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Considerably nicer than the norm and I would be thrilled to own either.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>It's a nice half for a lot of reasons but the spots would trouble me.
    Lance. >>

I appreciate your comments VERY MUCH but the 'spots' (if you can even call them that) are just soooo minute. There are sooooo many darker coins out there in numerically higher slabs. This piece is 99% white. Honestly, that is the last thing on my mind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file