Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die Polish or Hairlines?

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
Just received this from the Bay today in the mail and had a somewhat unpleasant surprise. First impression was hairlines, but somebody said it is die polishing lines since the lines don't go through the devices and end before getting to the dentils. Also, there is something similar exhibited on the obverse next to be bails of hay.

What do you guys think? Perhaps DCarr can make a definitive answer.

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First impression was hairlines, but somebody said it is die polishing lines since the lines don't go through the devices and end before getting to the dentils. >>

You got it backwards. Die polish DOES go through the devices. The coin looks cleaned.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not thinking cleaning. Die polish?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Cleaned, the cleaned area is highlighted and there is toning breaks.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know...it looks to me like there are plenty of lines running through "UNITED" that are sync'd up and in parallel with the lines in the field. But some of the lines in the field look to be raised. Die polish lines should go all the way up to the devices, not leaving a gap like it appears in your picture.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the lines incuse or raised? It's difficult to tell in a photo sometimes, but easy to tell in person. My gut reaction based on the photo is that they are incuse and therefor hairlines. A loop would dispell any doubt quite quickly.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I'll say hairlines.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

You got it.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options

<< <i>Are the lines incuse or raised? It's difficult to tell in a photo sometimes, but easy to tell in person. My gut reaction based on the photo is that they are incuse and therefor hairlines. A loop would dispell any doubt quite quickly. >>

Using my loop, first impression was definitely hairlines.

In hand appears to be hairlines, but got some people in the peanut gallery saying otherwise image

Surfaces don't seem to be affected by the lines whatsoever, no incuse-ness to be seen at all. An extensive, yet light cleaning IMO.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking they're hairlines unfortunately
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Whats the grade? I'm guessing that they didn't call it cleaned but
    may have net graded the coin because it's a cc dollar.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Graded a 45, so no net grading. Talked to a PCGS grader and he said they typically only net grade AU and UNC coins for light cleaning.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Hairlines.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first picture you posted looks like hairlines IMO. The gap in the lines surrounding the devices, and what appears to be matching lines on the Eagle, and the letters in United especially.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like die polish.

The lines go over the U and the 4 and that area is a toning break, it looks like that area was cleaned.

Ed
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely hairline scratches, especially on the reverse. Hairlines don't preclude there also being die polish on the same coin. I'd pass on that coin and that coin should be in a "genuine" slab irrespective of the coin's rarity.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse fields have been cleaned with an abrasive, and to a lesser extent the obverse has similar marks. Those lines are post mint and are not polishing marks.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaning.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely hairline scratches, especially on the reverse. Hairlines don't preclude there also being die polish on the same coin. I'd pass on that coin and that coin should be in a "genuine" slab irrespective of the coin's rarity. >>

That's what I thought first as well, I was confused how PCGS could grade this and not throw it into a genuine slab. However, after talking to a PCGS grader he said he agrees with this grade and since the cleaning is light they neither net graded nor genuine'd it.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They clearly look to be hairlines to me. The coin is circulated and likely slid around within its storage container prior to encapsulation. Either that, or a light wipe was placed upon the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They clearly look to be hairlines to me. The coin is circulated and likely slid around within its storage container prior to encapsulation. Either that, or a light wipe was placed upon the coin. >>

Based on the first pic of the reverse, that's a lot worse than just a "light wipe".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this (sadly). Bit more than "hairlines" on this one...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic "wiped" coin. It's a small area of harsh cleaning. Die polish would most likely be worn off on a well-circulated coin like this.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm kind of surprised it graded.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First impression was hairlines, but somebody said it is die polishing lines since the lines don't go through the devices and end before getting to the dentils. >>

You got it backwards. Die polish DOES go through the devices. The coin looks cleaned. >>

Huh? Devices are recessed on dies. Die polish typically affects fields, not devices.
    Lance.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devices are recessed on dies. Die polish typically affects fields, not devices.
    Lance.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You got it backwards. Die polish DOES go through the devices. The coin looks cleaned. >>

Huh? Devices are recessed on dies. Die polish typically affects fields, not devices.
    Lance. >>

Well, it does show in the devices sometimes, for example, you can often see it in the hair of Liberty on Morgans. However it also has to do with how that part of the hair sticks out nearly as far as the fields do on the die. So typically, you won't see it in the devices.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm kind of surprised it graded. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file