Home U.S. Coin Forum

My 3 cents worth...

(Had to go with 3 since I don't have a 2 cent piece)

My 3 cents on the topic of Forum Moderators is that they do a good job. Thanks for what you do.

Comments

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Primo specimen!

And I concur about the moderators - I certainly would not want to be policing this herd of cats 24x7 image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Not a job I would want. Thanks to them for doing it.image
    Becky
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great picture!

Seeing it makes me notice that the date is curved to follow the rim, and appears to have been punched into the die with single digit punches.

Every other denomination in this year has a straight date punched with a four-digit gang punch. When did the Trime convert to straight, four-digit punches? Who has a date set they can check?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great picture!

Seeing it makes me notice that the date is curved to follow the rim, and appears to have been punched into the die with single digit punches.

Every other denomination in this year has a straight date punched with a four-digit gang punch. When did the Trime convert to straight, four-digit punches? Who has a date set they can check? >>

Thanks though I know it's a little out of focus in some spots. In that I don't have any other trimes I don't know the answer to your question but it is an interesting observation on your part. Now I'm curious too...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great picture!

Every other denomination in this year has a straight date punched with a four-digit gang punch. When did the Trime convert to straight, four-digit punches? Who has a date set they can check? >>

I only have type coins, but from what I can see I'm not sure that the trime ever did have anything other than a curved or slightly curved date. Here is the latest date I have, which is an 1867 Proof. The date stiill looks to be a little curved.

imageimage

BTW Richardshipp, nice trime! image Many Type I trimes have black spotty toning in part because of the odd ball 75% silver, 25% copper alloy that was used in them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file