Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

My 1966 Panini Muhammad Ali PSA 9 RC Someone is going to come away with an iconic card at a fractio

I decided to consign it to Probstein123. He started it with no reserve and a $0.99 opening bid.

It is the first PSA 9 of this card to hit eBay in longer than I can remember, but at least five years. None are graded higher.

I view the Panini as the true Rookie Card, as many collectors do, because of the long lineage that the Panini brand had as a "mainstream" card producing company. Lampo, and all of the other early cards of Clay, were one-and-done oddball brands. Many of the others are basically handcut out of magazines, and arguably not mainstream cards at all. Panini produced cards for the next thirty years, and the brand name still produces cards today. You can buy Panini Rookie cards of boxers all the way up to Mike Tyson. The other brands and candidates are all regional, minor league type issues and are not on the par with the Panini cards.

All that to say, I am admittedly biased, but I think this card is one of the really important ones in the hobby, and will be seen as such more and more as the years go on.

I am hoping for good things as I have never consigned a card in all my years of collecting.
1966 Panini Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali PSA 9 RC (none graded higher)
1982 Fleer Cal Ripken RC BGS 9.5
1985 Topps USFL Doug Flutie PSA 10
1981 Topps Joe Montana RC PSA 9
1962 Dickson and Orde Babe Ruth PSA 9
1971 Topps Yankees Team #543 PSA 9
1964 Topps Beatles Color #17 John, Paul George and Ringo PSA 9

1990 Fleer All Star Larry Bird PSA 10
1995 Bowmans Best Steve McNair PSA 10
1964 Topps Beatles Color John Paul George and Ringo #25 PSA 8
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Best of luck on your auction. I would love to have that card in my collection. I happen to agree with you when it comes to this Panini compared to some of the the other so-called Cassius Clay rookie cards. I usually only buy cards that are produced from major card manufacturers. The oddball stuff is cool but it just doesn't carry the same weight in my mind. I'm sure many disagree but that just the way I feel.

Bernie Kosar collector

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Good luck Greg. I added it to my watch list.
    Hook'em
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words. I do hope that this auction will bring a buzz to the vintage boxing market. I definitely feel that cards of Muhammad Ali are undervalued in relation to his "Q Rating."

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Greg,

It is a really nice card. Probstein as well as PWCC get much respect from their bidders so whatever it sells for it will shadow what a market price is for it. I will be watching......good luck with it...Tom
    Thanks, Tom. It is definitely tough on the nerves to see it in a No Reserve auction.

I hope all the boxing fans and Muhammad Ali collectors see it!
    I finally learned how to add a link so I added the other cards that I have consigned.

There is a BGS 9.5 1982 Ripken Fleer, a 1981 Topps Montana PSA 9, a PSA 9 1962 Dickson and Orde Babe Ruth ,
    a 1971 Topps Yankees PSA 9, a 1985 Topps USFL Doug Flutie PSA 10, a PSA 9 1964 Topps Color Beatles, etc...

Thanks for going and checking them out - there are some real gems in this group!
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Great card,good luck! Got my eye on that Montana for sure..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Um..... Is the top of that Ali "pinched" at the top? It looks like it to me. That cant be good for the card if I'm right. HOpe I'm wrong, but I would alert Probstein about it.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    dropped a bid on the Ruth - hope you do well...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Um..... Is the top of that Ali "pinched" at the top? It looks like it to me. That cant be good for the card if I'm right. HOpe I'm wrong, but I would alert Probstein about it. Dave >>

How did that card get underneath the border in the slab? I agree ... I would see if Rick can "free it" and then take a new picture.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Greg ... here are a few for you:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    DBoone, Thanks for the scans!

I mentioned to Rick about changing the pic after moving the card down, but will do so again after seeing it up close like that.
    I would hate to scare away bidders, especially since this card will sort of lead the way on the values of this era.

<< <i>DBoone, Thanks for the scans!
    I mentioned to Rick about changing the pic after moving the card down, but will do so again after seeing it up close like that.
    I would hate to scare away bidders, especially since this card will sort of lead the way on the values of this era. >>

I think that is a good idea. I am not sure about other people, but I would not bid on a card like that.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    great cards - hope you do well!!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    Thanks, Swartz!
    Good luck on the Ruth- it has always been one of my favorite cards!
    Probstein has added a new scan with the 1966 Panini Cassius Clay PSA 9 centered better in the holder. You can see clearly that it is not pinched in the holder. Thanks Rick! Good luck bidding to all.
    Under two days left and the card is still under $400. I sure hope there is a huge finish!
    Still under $400 with 17 hours left.
    Should be a multiple thousand dollar bargain. Someone is going to get a steal at this rate.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Greg....there is just not enough track record on this card to see what it is worth. Trust me - I am the KING at giving away cards. There are no recorded sale on this card for anything higher than a PSA 3 in VCP. For your card, noone really knows the value or what kind of price tag to put on it. The card DOES have 50 watchers, so I am sure anyone who is an Ali collector is looking at it. It would be different if the watch count was not that high, but your card is leading the field on all Ali cards graded by PSA. Good luck tonight!

Link to watch count

Edit to add - I thought the link would show up right....just type "ali psa" and you will see that ali cards. By the way, the dollar amount of the PWCC is pretty good, but that card is 6 years older than yours. I am not an Ali collector, and to me it seems a little weird seeing a 1960 card and a 1966 card both claim to be his rookie card. He also has less watchers. I know it is nerve racking, but you might do all right in the end.
    Thanks for the research, Bobby, that does settle my nerves a bit. I just have the jitters since I have never consigned a card before, and it is no reserve. And... I know how much I paid for this card twelve years ago, and how rare it is, since none have even appeared on eBay in at least five years, and possibly since I bought mine (my memory is not crystal clear anymore).

A few hours left. If it sells so far below my expectations I hope it at least goes to a PSA
    board member....
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Greg,

The most action on this card will be in the last 30 seconds of the auction. The seasoned people know to try to steal it at the end. Why show their cards now? Again...Good luck and I hope all is well with you.

Tom
  • I prefer "why show their hand now", just messing with you. This guy has pimped his card from start to finish. I guess you can say he is persistent. Don't consign if you can't take a loss!
    link to all eBay auctions that are ALI PSA

The link above was provided to me by the owner of the WatchCount.com

It seems to be a great service for eBay watchers. Check it out if you get a chance.