Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does PCGS view a fingerprint on a coin?

RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
Is a fingerprint a downgrade, no grade, or non-issue to the graders at our beloved host? Can a coin make it into a PCGS MS66 or 67 holder with a light fingerprint/partial print on it? Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the coin, it's acceptable on MS66.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The same way toning is factored. If there is faint evidence of a fingerprint but it does not significantly distract from the overall look of the coin then it won't affect the grade much. If one is obvious and distracting then it will be a liability. As long as the fingerprint is not corroding the surfaces the coin will still grade.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends if it got there before or after grading in some cases.image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The same way toning is factored. If there is faint evidence of a fingerprint but it does not significantly distract from the overall look of the coin then it won't affect the grade much. If one is obvious and distracting then it will be a liability. As long as the fingerprint is not corroding the surfaces the coin will still grade. >>

Good explanation..........Exhibit A

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The same way toning is factored. If there is faint evidence of a fingerprint but it does not significantly distract from the overall look of the coin then it won't affect the grade much. If one is obvious and distracting then it will be a liability. As long as the fingerprint is not corroding the surfaces the coin will still grade. >>

Good explanation..........Exhibit A >>

Nice coin and colors image

But isn't that a MS65?
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    Exhibit B

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options

<< <i>Exhibit B >>

Good response.

Since the question was for MS66-67, I wasn't considering modern NCLT.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exhibit B

image >>

I do not think the toning or the fingerprint were on this one when graded.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

But isn't that a MS65? >>

Yup! I've never heard of the MS66 requiremment.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

But isn't that a MS65? >>

Yup! I've never heard of the MS66 requiremment. >>

Check the OP:

<< <i>Can a coin make it into a PCGS MS66 or 67 holder with a light fingerprint/partial print on it? >>

imageimage

But nice coin nevertheless. Good to have some color in the thread!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since "eye appeal" is a grading factor I would guess that the grading services treat finger prints as a negative or as neutral at best if small and not in a prime focal area of the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. I've seen what are imo hideous fingerprints on six figure coins, and have seen some on MS 66 classic U.S. coinage. I honestly don't think they figure into the grading of classic coins.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Usually through a 7x loupe. image

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are the community standards, which we are hearing some voices from now...

and PCGS standards, which should be similar. However, as you know, I like to hear it straight from the horses mouth.... if someone ever asks PCGS this, I'd like to see the answer posted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I don't think they charge extra for this service, but if you want the print on a specific area of the coin, it's extra.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options

<< <i>There are the community standards, which we are hearing some voices from now...

and PCGS standards, which should be similar. However, as you know, I like to hear it straight from the horses mouth.... >>

While it's nice to hear from PCGS directly, for this it's also easy enough to look at the coins that PCGS has slabbed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file